scorched stihl 046 complete rebuild. w/ pic's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, just ran it with a 20" B&C. had the 7pin rim, ill have to try it with the 8.

Cut 2 cookies and ran outta gas... I pushed hard and it didn't bog, this was has some power. Sharp chain and 8 rim this thing should be a keeper. Ill put it threw its passes and get it tuned in this weekend. I here this saw with a 28" bar is good, ill have to get one.

I was to scared to put it down but that will go away soon enough. Tried making a video but it was just a blurry mess.

Thanks, just ran it with a 20" B&C. had the 7pin rim, ill have to try it with the 8.

Cut 2 cookies and ran outta gas... I pushed hard and it didn't bog, this was has some power. Sharp chain and 8 rim this thing should be a keeper. Ill put it threw its passes and get it tuned in this weekend. I here this saw with a 28" bar is good, ill have to get one.

I was to scared to put it down but that will go away soon enough. Tried making a video but it was just a blurry mess.

Cool. Good to hear. 046's rip pretty good stock. I just did a vid last week with mine. I'm running 25" with mine.

i tried but it was a blurry :censored:up. Ill see what I can do.

I ordered the tank vent assy yesterday so maybe ill get some work done with it this weekend.

Very Nice

the work you have accomplished on this saw is just amazing. great pictorials and descriptions of the work in a nice easy to understand way. I have never done a wrecked saw but I have done alot of other wrecked power equipment from lawnmowers to farm tractors and alot in between, and I must say that I could never have done a post this informative. Now I want to do a saw. (dang CAD) great work hope to see a vid soon

nope, i'm waiting on the correct tank vent assy. Maybe ill make one and use it today. Its goign to pour all day tho.

Was cleaning out my parts washer and found the pieces i needed for the tank vent. Put it together and cut down a few trees. Runs great. Idle screw is lose and moves around so I have to fix that. Other then that I'm really happy, strong saw.

Painted the tank protector and other dog, came out great.

CIMG1971.jpg

CIMG1972.jpg

CIMG1973.jpg

CIMG1974.jpg

CIMG1975.jpg

CIMG1976.jpg

CIMG1977.jpg

This has been a really neat thread and project.:cheers:

Mr. HE:cool:

Hey Matt, did you use the gasket and seal kit from Baileys in this build?

I am amazed that you stuck with it brought this saw back from the edge.

Hey Matt, did you use the gasket and seal kit from Baileys in this build?

I am amazed that you stuck with it brought this saw back from the edge.

yes i used the Baileys one. I need to get a carb kit for it. Its still needs work but its been working as is until i have more time.

Great work Matt. It has been a fun learning experience following your project. I would suggest you name your saw Phoenix because just as the bird from Greek mythology, it has, thanks to you, been reborn from its own ashes.

Looks good are you eventually going to get a new tank and plastics? Cant wait to get a 044 or bigger to redo like this.

Awesome Tutorial and Rebuild

worth saying twice.

Who is next to rebuild?

im still running it with the same tank/handle. My 066 rebuild on here came out alot better. but the saws still running strong.

Nice job Matt. I just got my first 046 project saw so this thread will help me along the way. Again, job well done!

Back