Tool Forum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are some really cool tools you have there.I didn't
have a clue that Metabo made hand tools at one time.
Great stuff
Lawrence

Thanks very much, I have a few old woodworking tools kicking about as I tend to prefer to buy an old quality tool than a new made in China thing.

Here's a fairly recent buy.
Over the years I've used a few drawknives (cleaning up old oak beams for barn conversions and so on) and one thing that gets me about them is that I need to protect the edge whilst its in my toolbox, otherwise my other tools damage the edge.
I got to use a lovely one a while ago with folding handles and have been on the lookout for one ever since.
I went to a toolsale recently and spotted this for £35, which was slightly cheaper than a modern one and I liked the design.
Its got an 8" blade and the handles cover the edge when not in use, I've seen them bring a lot more money at auction (usually in the US because that's where it was made) and sometimes a bit less, I'm happy with what I paid for it though.
Made by A.J. Wilkinson & Co and brought all the way from Boston Massachusetts to a tool sale in sunny Harrogate in England.

Open
IMG_1968.jpg

Closed.
IMG_1967.jpg

Patent date (although I understand they were made for a long time after that) of 16 July 1885.
IMG_1969.jpg

Maker.
IMG_1970.jpg

Drawknives

Demographic,that's a pretty neat way of protecting the edge on that draw knife.Wilkinson,wonder if they are the same company that makes razor blades over here.Lots of fellas on here that are into draw knives.I think member,Brad Morgan has a few,TraditionalTool I'm pretty sure uses them.Hopefully they will check in and see what you have posted.
Lawrence

compressor air hose

Okay ,I have been taking in all of what you fellas have said concerning air hoses and the different kinds available ie.rubber and so on.Well I found this Canadian company Green Line that sells stuff up here in Canada.Anyone here used there products? They have an airhose colled Poly Air that seems interesting.Here's a link
Lawrence
Green Line Hose & Fittings - Welcome

Last edited:
Okay have been taking all you fellas have said concerning air hoses and the different kinds available ie.rubber and so on.Well I found this Canadian company Green Line that sells stuff up here in Canada.Anyone here used there products? They have an airhose colled Poly Air that seems interesting.Here's a link
Lawrence
Green Line Hose & Fittings - Welcome

Ya, they make nice stuff Lawrence!

Stopped by the scrap today, came home with a couple decent possibilities -

attachment.php

Two big ol' well-used 3/4" impact guns for $10, thought I'd take a chance on em. Brought them home and put coupler fittings on them, and they both seem to spin up just fine. I don't have any 3/4" sockets to try them out with though! The trigger on the big two-handed one is sticky and doesn't want to disengage properly, but it's beat up pretty good in general, and both need a total teardown and cleaning. Hopefully it was a decent investment. Even if just the one-hander works, I'll be happy. I need to get a 3/4 to 1/2 adapter now...

Stopped by the scrap today, came home with a couple decent possibilities -

attachment.php

Two big ol' well-used 3/4" impact guns for $10, thought I'd take a chance on em. Brought them home and put coupler fittings on them, and they both seem to spin up just fine. I don't have any 3/4" sockets to try them out with though! The trigger on the big two-handed one is sticky and doesn't want to disengage properly, but it's beat up pretty good in general, and both need a total teardown and cleaning. Hopefully it was a decent investment. Even if just the one-hander works, I'll be happy. I need to get a 3/4 to 1/2 adapter now...

Your scrap place rulez! People aren't allowed to go into ours anymore, they were worried they might get sued. :msp_angry:

Scrap Yard Brad

Brad, I think because I'm a little older than you I remember a show on TV called Sanford and Son they were scrap yard hounds,but man they don't even come close to you.Your the king of good finds.
Lawrence

I remember Sanford and Son. That was a good show.

When I lived in NC there was a scrap yard that binned each type of item. You could buy Holley carbs for 2 bucks.

Air compressor-Filter-SCFM gauge-

179082d1302144260-6320h9d_20-jpeg

Here it is.:yoyo:
It's got a bent wing!!
If you guys would be kind enough to look at my compressor and see where the black box is that houses the on off switch I have a couple of questions,yep here I go again.Coming out of the black box is a pipe that goes into the SCFM regulator.Could or should I put a filter before that regulator to trap any unwanted crap?I also guess the SCFM gauge is shot as there is no air in the tank or anywhere at present and it's registering a few CFM's,am I right?
Thanks
Lawrence

Last edited:
If you guys would be kind enough to look at my compressor and see where the black box is that houses the on off switch I have a couple of questions,yep here I go again.Coming out of the black box is a pipe that goes into the SCFM regulator.Could or should I put a filter before that regulator to trap any unwanted crap?I also guess the SCFM gauge is shot as there is no air in the tank or anywhere at present and it's registering a few CFM's,am I right?
Thanks
Lawrence

It's a psi gauge Lawrence. As in 'pounds per square inch'. SCFM is 'standard cubic feet per minute', thats how fast your compresser will pump, or how much volume it will pump. A 10 scfm compresser willl pump twice as much volume as a 5 scfm will.

You can put a filter in the line, but it may cut down your volume. They don't normally have one there. Yes, your gauge is probably shot, they are cheap to buy. Some people have a gauge on each side of the regulator, that way you can see how much is in your tank as well as how much you have going to your hose.

daddy66

Hello Chris,I should have been a little more informative in my last post.If you can see the one gauge above the regulator knob (it has a little red arrow on it) that's the CFM gauge.The PSI tank pressure gauge is hidden behind the black plastic box the houses the on/off switch.Sorry please don't take this like I'm being a smart ass.I appreciate the filter information!
Lawrence

I remember Sanford and Son. That was a good show.

When I lived in NC there was a scrap yard that binned each type of item. You could buy Holley carbs for 2 bucks.
I could use a Holley for 2 bucks! Quadrajet is stickin with only 2barrels :)

Grossed the scales today at 15K something. Hauled 5570 pounds of scrap. But came home with a saw and a pretty nice vice! SP said "we went to haul stuff off, not bring more junk home!"

Pics tommorow!

Hello Chris,I should have been a little more informative in my last post.If you can see the one gauge above the regulator knob (it has a little red arrow on it) that's the CFM gauge.The PSI tank pressure gauge is hidden behind the black plastic box the houses the on/off switch.Sorry please don't take this like I'm being a smart ass.I appreciate the filter information!
Lawrence
How about a close up picture, have not seen a CFM gauge.:dizzy:

Brad, I think because I'm a little older than you I remember a show on TV called Sanford and Son they were scrap yard hounds,but man they don't even come close to you.Your the king of good finds.
Lawrence

Heh, I know OF the show, and can even hear the theme song playing in my head, but I can't say I've ever watched it! Didn't know that was the premise of it. But ya, it's a bit before my time!

And as far as poking around in the yard goes, well, many times I don't have to go far as the guys who work there usually put anything they deem usable or saleable aside up near the office where they sort stuff, and keep chainsaws etc. for me specifically quite a bit. I'm SUPPOSED to wear a high-vis vest and check in at the office when I go, but nobody ever enforces that, not sure if it's cause I know the guys or they don't bother with anybody really. The high-vis thing only came into effect after one of the kids that worked there killed himself on the job two summers ago. He was cutting a huge (as in weighs a ton, literally) winch off of a scrapped bulldozer, and like an IDIOT cut the top bolts with a torch first and then got underneath and cut the bottom ones; the winch fell and squished his head like a grape, he never knew what hit him. So of course, after that WCB/WorkSafe was all over the site and handed out all sorts of orders to follow, none of which had anything to do with what actually happened, since that was just sheer stupidity. No amount of safety equipment could have helped him there.

I don't think there is such a thing as a CFM gauge Lawrence. I think what you have is two pressure gauges, tank pressure and line pressure, one on each side ofthe regulator?

Put up a close up pic of the gauges and we can sort it out for you.

CFM is a constant reading, if the compresser is running, it puts out a certain CFM all the time. You don't need a gauge.:msp_rolleyes:

Heh, I know OF the show, and can even hear the theme song playing in my head, but I can't say I've ever watched it! Didn't know that was the premise of it. But ya, it's a bit before my time!

And as far as poking around in the yard goes, well, many times I don't have to go far as the guys who work there usually put anything they deem usable or saleable aside up near the office where they sort stuff, and keep chainsaws etc. for me specifically quite a bit. I'm SUPPOSED to wear a high-vis vest and check in at the office when I go, but nobody ever enforces that, not sure if it's cause I know the guys or they don't bother with anybody really. The high-vis thing only came into effect after one of the kids that worked there killed himself on the job two summers ago. He was cutting a huge (as in weighs a ton, literally) winch off of a scrapped bulldozer, and like an IDIOT cut the top bolts with a torch first and then got underneath and cut the bottom ones; the winch fell and squished his head like a grape, he never knew what hit him. So of course, after that WCB/WorkSafe was all over the site and handed out all sorts of orders to follow, none of which had anything to do with what actually happened, since that was just sheer stupidity. No amount of safety equipment could have helped him there.

Sounds just like the place I work.AK Steel.Some of there rules are just plain stupid!!

I don't think there is such a thing as a CFM gauge Lawrence. I think what you have is two pressure gauges, tank pressure and line pressure, one on each side ofthe regulator?

Put up a close up pic of the gauges and we can sort it out for you.

CFM is a constant reading, if the compresser is running, it puts out a certain CFM all the time. You don't need a gauge.:msp_rolleyes:

Yes there are CFM gauges. Welders use them, they might actually use a CFH gauge though.

Back