Husky 51 stripped carb bolt

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac B.

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
As the title said I have a stripped carb bolt on a Husky 51 I am working on. I don't think it has ever been apart but when I was diagnosing a run problem I found something in the bolt hole that was like teflon tape or something. Did they strip it at the factory and bandaid it some how??? Does anyone know what the best thing to do is, go to next size bolt try to seal somehow??

Thanks Mac

As the title said I have a stripped carb bolt on a Husky 51 I am working on. I don't think it has ever been apart but when I was diagnosing a run problem I found something in the bolt hole that was like teflon tape or something. Did they strip it at the factory and bandaid it some how??? Does anyone know what the best thing to do is, go to next size bolt try to seal somehow??

Thanks Mac

I'm not familiar with that saw but if its been bodged at the factory could you get it done under warranty?
Failing that use a helicoil kit to put a thread insert in there.

I dont think warranty will take care of it, it it probably 10 years old. Do the helicoils work good?

Mac

That 51 and the 55 have the worst ever intake system on them. Order a new intake block, impulse tube seal (o-ring), and the intake sleeve.

I ALWAYS put all this on one when I do a carb job to these saws.

Engineer that designed this should be tarred and feathered, then burned at the stake.

Agree with posters above. Really poor intake design for such a nice little saw. I have seen cut down roofing screws used as carb bolts. Don't recommend though.:msp_unsure:
Al.

It's a poor design, get a long screw put it in from the back with nuts on front. Then you can tighten it the way it should be tightened. It would have cost Husky about $1 to imbed some metal nut in that plastic, countless burnt up saws because of it. Steve

Last edited:
Thanks for the help everyone. I ended up going to the local hardware store and getting a 10/24 bolt and retapping it. This ended tightening up very well. After getting into it I see what you guys mean by the design, it is definitly no Stihl.

Thanks Mac

Latest posts

Back