Tool Forum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dammit, now I have to retype it all. :angry: Damn backspace key moved me back a page when I clicked on the above editing box. :bang:

Here is an old Dremel shoe buffer. Anyone ever use one of these around the shop for buffing parts or the like? I don't want to do it unless I hear that it works good for such use with the original cloth things or some wire buffer wheels.

attachment.php

Here is an old Electr-o-grinder... this thing is so old that the shaft that the wheels ride on moves side to side about 3/4" :dizzy: Real easy to bog down.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here is the Black&Decker drill my dad bought before he met my mom IIRC... this thing needs to be rebuilt/cleaned and the gear case filled with new grease... sometimes it emits a horrible screeching/whining/indycar noise... still works great.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'd bet that "air" tank is a used Freon cylinder. While usable, they weren't designed to hold moist air. I've never trusted them for long term air use.

Here are MORE tools... :dizzy: Now that I think, damn, I have a LOT of tools...

Here is a recent score from the local community college. Of course, these were 'supposed' to be scrapped, but me and the instructor knew that was a waste of good stuff, so he said *"Hold these for me."

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The only things that did not come from the cc are the Magnum Holeshooters... these two are the ones that were 'typo' 1/4" Magnum Holeshooters... just need new cords and some cleaning and regreasing of the gearcases. The Holeshooters came with all those tools we bought.

These are some closer up pictures of the Black&Decker Heavy Duty Auto Polisher... uh sure... they used it as a grinder...
:D

attachment.php

attachment.php

I am going to take a look in it at some time and hopefully find some minor problem that is the reason for it not working. Then I'll need the arbor nut, and then make/buy/find a guard for it. I'm thinking 7" maybe 9" grinding wheels...
:)

*he really meant 'You can have these."

Here are MORE tools... :dizzy: Now that I think, damn, I have a LOT of tools...

Here is a recent score from the local community college. Of course, these were 'supposed' to be scrapped, but me and the instructor knew that was a waste of good stuff, so he said *"Hold these for me."

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The only things that did not come from the cc are the Magnum Holeshooters... these two are the ones that were 'typo' 1/4" Magnum Holeshooters... just need new cords and some cleaning and regreasing of the gearcases. The Holeshooters came with all those tools we bought.

These are some closer up pictures of the Black&Decker Heavy Duty Auto Polisher... uh sure... they used it as a grinder...
:D

attachment.php

attachment.php

I am going to take a look in it at some time and hopefully find some minor problem that is the reason for it not working. Then I'll need the arbor nut, and then make/buy/find a guard for it. I'm thinking 7" maybe 9" grinding wheels...
:)

*he really meant 'You can have these."

Nice bunch of old tools!!!

I'm probably pissing you all off by now... MOAR TOOLS!!!!

Here are the above mentioned Milwaukee Magnum Holeshooters... these, by many, are considered the best damn 1/2" corded drills you can get. Unfortunately, they still don't make them quite like they used to. Need one more chuckey, two of those chuckey cord holders, two cords, and definitely at least one side handle.

attachment.php

Here is a favorite of mine, the Superior 3/4" drive ratchet set that we got in the deal of tools... this thing ain't gonna break on any car or light truck I could possibly encounter in the auto repair world. :D

attachment.php

Here is a mint condition tiny ass c-clamp that came with all of those tools. The Craftsman wrench above it is the oldest one I've seen. It certainly has a well-built heft to it. Wish I had the whole set of them. :(

attachment.php

Here is a hand drill that I got from my grandpa... this thing, IMHO, is priceless. Sometimes we'd be working outside on some project with pieces of wood or plastic or some other softer material, and need to make some holes. Guess what, I go get this thing. It's something you couldn't take from me without receiving some nasty wounds... :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Old Tools

I'm probably pissing you all off by now... MOAR TOOLS!!!!

Here are the above mentioned Milwaukee Magnum Holeshooters... these, by many, are considered the best damn 1/2" corded drills you can get. Unfortunately, they still don't make them quite like they used to. Need one more chuckey, two of those chuckey cord holders, two cords, and definitely at least one side handle.

attachment.php

Here is a favorite of mine, the Superior 3/4" drive ratchet set that we got in the deal of tools... this thing ain't gonna break on any car or light truck I could possibly encounter in the auto repair world. :D

attachment.php

Here is a mint condition tiny ass c-clamp that came with all of those tools. The Craftsman wrench above it is the oldest one I've seen. It certainly has a well-built heft to it. Wish I had the whole set of them. :(

attachment.php

Here is a hand drill that I got from my grandpa... this thing, IMHO, is priceless. Sometimes we'd be working outside on some project with pieces of wood or plastic or some other softer material, and need to make some holes. Guess what, I go get this thing. It's something you couldn't take from me without receiving some nasty wounds... :)

attachment.php

attachment.php
I'm certainly not getting tired of looking at those pictures!I say post away.The old stuff still in the original packaging is priceless!
Fellow member Joe would agree, I would think.
Lawrence

promac610
The first thing to check on the B&D angle grinder would be the brushes and hope they did not melt the brush holders. The big B&D grinders were built to take a lot of abuse, I have one just like it and it has seen a lot of heavy work. Lets hope they used the same construction on the car polisher.

promac610
The first thing to check on the B&D angle grinder would be the brushes and hope they did not melt the brush holders. The big B&D grinders were built to take a lot of abuse, I have one just like it and it has seen a lot of heavy work. Lets hope they used the same construction on the car polisher.

Brushes and brush holders are fine. The armature and trigger and ground prong wire need work. Will get pics for you later tonight or tomorrow. The armature has some bad scratches, and continuity is present on and between every commutator and on the main body of the armature... I will take pics of what I'm babbling about. This thing was PACKED with grease and metal dust, so much so that on the fan shroud, there was enough grease packed with that abrasive metal to machine the cooling fan fins down a little. :msp_ohmy: The fan is usable, but most of the armature and the like may be bad also. This thing had the #### beaten out of it, I can tell you that. If everything checks out and it is worth putting back together, it will need new grease in the gearcase.

Some more tools that I have, I'm listing a few here... pics will follow soon, either later tonight or tomorrow.

I've got a nice Husky 60 gallon 3.2 hp air compressor, a Hobart Handler 140 FCAW/MIG welder, a Hitachi G12SR (the original, not SR2, 3 or whatever), Dremel rotary tool, older DeWalt reciprocating saw, older Skil Saw, older Porter Cable cordless drill, a Craftsman benchtop drill press, an old belt drive General grinder, and much more. Will get pics up for ya'll sometime soon. :)

Here are pics of my favorite new tool that was acquired a few months ago... the big ass air compressor, as I call it. :)

Here it is, sitting in the corner of the barn on its pallet, on the dirt side I reckon it'll be fine on the pallet and on gravel/dirt. It should level itself out over a bit of run time. :) (no, it doesn't lean like the Tower of Pizza...)

181626d1303868753-comp1-jpg

Here are three close ups of the big ugly ass manifold set up. It only cost me 30 bucks for all of this, and I have some PVC hose I'm gonna run straight up off the top to the ceiling and through the wall, over to the cement side of the barn. Hell of a lot cheaper and more flexible to set up compared to pipe or PEX type stuff. Just gonna use either pipe bands or large cable staples to fasten it to the ceiling.

181627d1303868755-comp2-jpg

181628d1303868756-comp3-jpg

181629d1303868756-comp4-jpg

Here is my other favorite tool, the Handler 140. Makes very nice little welds, and I gotta buy more wire for it... :D I'll be getting the 10 pounders instead of the wimpy 2 pound spools. If I ever figure a set up out, I might go even bigger, like 33 pound spools. I'd have to make a custom cart with a spool holder and use the coffee cart for something else, though.

181625d1303868752-hobart-jpg

I love good tools, and despise those who think it's funny to take other people's hard earned stuff. If anyone here loses a good tool to some scumbag, let me know... and we'll go get them...

Last edited:
You didn't ask for opinions, but reconsider using PVC for air duties. It's not worth the risk. If there's a blowout and someone is standing next to the pipe, it's gonna hurt. Cheap just isn't worth the danger.

You didn't ask for opinions, but reconsider using PVC for air duties. It's not worth the risk. If there's a blowout and someone is standing next to the pipe, it's gonna hurt. Cheap just isn't worth the danger.

I am using air compressor hose, rated for 250-300 psi burst; not the pipe that produces flying shrapnel. ;) Forgot to mention that when I made the previous post.

WYK-Good pictures.Those Cootes grinders are really something to look at.They seem so heavy duty.I think there made in Washington State if I'm not mistaken.So do they adjust to the length of the belt you are using,meaning does the upper portion of the machine move up and down?
Lawrence

I forget where it's made, actually. That's a 5 year old photo. Maybe 6 now. It is built like a freakin tank! It is adjustable for angle(it's upright in that image I posted), and has about 1" of adjustment for length, mebbe 2(you are meant to run a specific belt for whatever model you get). That is a short model, they make em to quite a bit longer if you like. The longer it is, the more the belt will last. I tend to stick with diamond and carbide belts on stainless, and even wood belts seem to work fine on non-heat treated carbon steel. I mostly just grind, no forging. I usually get a bud I know in Mississippi to forge me blanks. I turn it into a knife, and send it back for heat treating - whether stainless or carbon. However, I haven't made a knife in years. I've been busy travelling.

I forgot to post these pics of the grinder yesterday... you can see how much work this beast has done.

Here, you can see the brush holders (other side is the same) are in excellent shape.

181711d1303910779-brush-holder-jpg

This show the fins on the fan... notice how the build up of abrasive and metal packed grease led to the machining of the fins.

181710d1303910778-fan-fins-jpg

Here is the armature... anyone have any suggestions as to clean it thoroughly? I know there's gotta be grease packed in between the strands of wire and way down into places you can't reach. Obviously, I don't want to harm the varnish and protective coatings that may be covering the wire that is wound around the armature.

181709d1303910776-armature-jpg

Here are some pics of the old welding helmet I use...

181712d1303911125-old-welding-helmet-jpg

181713d1303911126-old-welding-helmet2-jpg

It's so old the ratchet mechanism is stripped out enough to not hold it on my head when welding overhead or in any other extremely uncomfortable position.

In fact, when I had to weld an exhaust hanger on my car, I looked under there without the helmet (won't stay on my head and was in the way of looking under the car) and set the gun where I wanted to make a spot weld. I then pulled my head out from under the car while keeping that gun right where I wanted it, and then did the 'closed eyes, looking away' technique. Exposure was minimal, as the majority of the light was bouncing around under the car, and not much of it made it out. Also, the amps were pretty low, as I was welding on auto body material thickness stuff. Needless to say, I don't want to do that again, just for the sake of it. I will get my hands on a good auto-darkening helmet soon. In the meantime, for welding while looking down on the part, rather than up, this old helmet will work fine.

Last edited:
I don't see any burn marks on the armature, and the com isn't grooved out, or have any bad looking bars. It's in fine shape I'd say (short of a "ghost short" in the armature).

Them old grinders are always worth picking up, even if they need some work. :clap:

I don't see any burn marks on the armature, and the com isn't grooved out, or have any bad looking bars. It's in fine shape I'd say (short of a "ghost short" in the armature).

Them old grinders are always worth picking up, even if they need some work. :clap:

On the commutators... are they supposed to have continuity between them? Also, they have continuity between the big armature bars and the little commutators. I don't recall of that means it's bad or good. So far, I am fairly happy. The trigger slide plate needs to be fixed though.

attachment.php

I'm thinking JB weld or superglue? If superglue would work fine, I'd rather use that since I already have some around and wouldn't need to go to the store to get JB weld.

Latest posts

Back