Bringing a 394 back to life

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers mate, a bit like heroin, scary at first but soon enough you can't put it down:laugh:

snort

You got me beat! I ain't got anything even remotely close to the serious he-man grunge you got! I guess you worked that puppy hard! Technically, I don't think that saw when it last ran could be classed as "air cooled", looks like "woodsap and dust glued together" cooled.

hehehehe

shiny clean spiffy keen

yeah, it was a nasty. Shiny now though;)

Just for yuks I should take one of my nasty ones over to the carwash detail guys and hand it to them to see what they do..
"Here, spit shine this bad boy".

I like to clean mine mostly outside..I hates when I get back to the bench and start working and find some area I missed.

local husky dealer got two 394s sitting in his junk stash (both together would make one runner). I asked him to name a price, he said not for sale "saving them for parts to sell off them". I asked the wrench how many parts he had stripped to sell so far he said none in the ten years he was working there.

First store I ever saw that didn't want to sell something...fine..I'll eventually get a big saw elsewhere then. Rather the 395 though...
I just dont have a big saw yet, just small and medium.

With the recent tornado action, every dude around here with a big truck and big saw is cleaning up..meaning I ain't. Lucky to still be kickin though, so ain't complaining.

Talked to a dude on the phone today who lives in alabama in the hardest hit area, we are swapping tornado stories... He used to own a 23 foot pontoon boat, it was sitting over on his buddies property nearby. He searched for hours and only found some of the trailer it was sitting on, the rest of the boat is just ...gone.

I use hot soapy water (good brand with degreaser in it) let it soak, scrub, rinse, and blow dry. Trying to keep away from solvent...over the years my hands are really bad. I couldn't see in the cylinder, hone the cylinder. I usually won't use a cylinder if score marks are above the ports (if being used for work....firewood saw would be ok). I would have air pressured tested prior to dismantle to see if there was any air leaks to deal with. It's a bit of work, take your time. Should be alot of 394 parts out there. Good luck

Latest posts

Back