still unsure....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rotater cuffs

I have had both shoulders operated on now and have had very good results. From what info I have gathered,the only way to tell if you are dealing with a tear is to have an MRI.They did the die shot in mine so they could tell where the tear was.A tear will not heal back together. GOOD LUCK

Did your chiropractor say what effect the laser light has ? Is it strictly associated with the muscle tissue, or do you have a bone spur problem?
My wife is now a few days away from surgery.

I had a what the MD called a impingement.Not going to try to explain it .You can google it . The only question I had about the laser.Was it safe to get treated that often ? I think it was tendons or muscle that go throw or under some bone. There was no bone spur. All I know is the next treatment was needle or surgery by the Md .Hope this helps.

I had a what the MD called a impingement.Not going to try to explain it .You can google it . The only question I had about the laser.Was it safe to get treated that often ? I think it was tendons or muscle that go throw or under some bone. There was no bone spur. All I know is the next treatment was needle or surgery by the Md .Hope this helps.

An impingement is something that obstructs the movement of a tendon(usually the supraspinatus which attaches to the top of the arm bone at the socket). This tendon slides in and out under two bones at the top of the shoulder. One bone is called the acrominion (sp?) and as we get older the end of it tends to hook downward and restrict (or impinge) the opening, causing damage to the tendon when we engage in repetitive and usually overhead motions. Bone spurs can also tighten up the opening and be sharp enough to cut the tendon if you move the wrong way. Spurs are calcium deposits that form on the bone as we age. Calcium deposits can also form in the muscle or tendon, also causing inflammation and swelling.
ALL of these (and more) come under the category of impingements, just a fancy word when things don't have the room to move past each other without irritation.
Therapists use ultrasonics to break up some of this calcium and reduce inflamation, which sometimes reverses the symptoms. Are you sure the chiropractor wasn't using ultrasound instead of laser? I know my chiropractor uses that sometimes.

I use chiropractors too but it all depends upon the circumstances. Laser light isn't going to repair a tendon or muscle that is torn or even cut completely off. For one thing, I've learned that rotator tears will NOT heal on their own. One reason is that the muscle or tear wants to retract away from the tear, making it worse. Without surgery to reconnect the two ends there is nothing to pull them together so they can heal.
The second thing, is that other injuries, such as bicep tendinitis have exactly the same symptoms as a tear, but tendinitis will heal. This is another reason that, barring expensive MRI's, they want to try therapy first so they can rule out tendinitis.
Two months ago I knew almost none of this so I don't claim to be an expert, that's for sure. But this whole process has educated me and I've had an awful lot of time to spend lately reading up on it.

I need to investigate the laser .Never paid much attention on how it worked .Had extreme abdominal pain at least once a year .Had to go to ER.at least once year for about 5 years . Had ultrasounds done x rays done .Found nothing . Went to the chiropractor. Ask are you having stomach problems?Said yea . Knock on wood . Pain free 4 years now. no hartburn . Can eat about anything . Go at least twice a year. Even if nothing hurts . Way cheaper than a ER visit.

An impingement is something that obstructs the movement of a tendon(usually the supraspinatus which attaches to the top of the arm bone at the socket). This tendon slides in and out under two bones at the top of the shoulder. One bone is called the acrominion (sp?) and as we get older the end of it tends to hook downward and restrict (or impinge) the opening, causing damage to the tendon when we engage in repetitive and usually overhead motions. Bone spurs can also tighten up the opening and be sharp enough to cut the tendon if you move the wrong way. Spurs are calcium deposits that form on the bone as we age. Calcium deposits can also form in the muscle or tendon, also causing inflammation and swelling.
ALL of these (and more) come under the category of impingements, just a fancy word when things don't have the room to move past each other without irritation.
Therapists use ultrasonics to break up some of this calcium and reduce inflamation, which sometimes reverses the symptoms. Are you sure the chiropractor wasn't using ultrasound instead of laser? I know my chiropractor uses that sometimes.

Pretty sure it is a laser. Looks like a LED light The ultrasound they use on my back . Makes my muscles twitch . The ultasound they look inside feel nothing

I know some orthopedics love to do surgery no matter what. In my case, I did x-rays and an MRI that showed nothing but calcium deposits (they say that most deposits go away anywhere from several months to several years for reasons unknown). I chose not to have surgery, but to do rehab. It's been a long road to recovery, but I'm getting more flexibility every month. Surgery might seem like a quick fix, but the rehab is intense and long term.

I started getting acupuncture combined with EMS (electric muscle stimulation). Worked wonders!! That and alternating ice/heat on the shoulder 2-3 times a day.

BUT, I didn't have any noticeable tears or anything like that.

As everyone has stated, get lots of opinions and give it proper time to heal post-op or during therapy. These injuries often are the result of years of misuse/overuse/abuse. They take time to heal, especially as we get older.

lopro ~ I started getting acupuncture combined with EMS (electric muscle stimulation). Worked wonders!! That and alternating ice/heat on the shoulder 2-3 times a day.

OUCH ! That seems to be a lot of treatment with little permant result.:msp_confused:

OUCH ! That seems to be a lot of treatment with little permant result.:msp_confused:
I totally agree!

It took me a while to realize that I need to stretch and exercise my shoulder everyday to compensate for how I don't use it properly. I'm one of the lucky, fortunate, advanced humans who spends a lot of time working at my desk, on the computer, and thus don't use my muscles the way they were intended. As a result you get these nagging misuse pains that need attention or else you revert to more pain and eventual surgery.

Long story short, there's no such thing as a permanent result when your actions don't change and your body is always changing (i.e. degrading). At least for me it's that way...

I totally agree!

It took me a while to realize that I need to stretch and exercise my shoulder everyday to compensate for how I don't use it properly. I'm one of the lucky, fortunate, advanced humans who spends a lot of time working at my desk, on the computer, and thus don't use my muscles the way they were intended. As a result you get these nagging misuse pains that need attention or else you revert to more pain and eventual surgery.

Long story short, there's no such thing as a permanent result when your actions don't change and your body is always changing (i.e. degrading). At least for me it's that way...

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but I don't see how that would stop those shark tooth like bone spurs from building up and sawing my tendons off. :dunno:

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but I don't see how that would stop those shark tooth like bone spurs from building up and sawing my tendons off. :dunno:

Ain't that the truth. Telephone call awhile ago confirmation that my wife is to go on the table at 6:00a.m. tomorrow morning. Here we go. :blob2:

Appreciate all prayers the Dr. will be alert and have a steady hand.

Ain't that the truth. Telephone call awhile ago confirmation that my wife is to go on the table at 6:00a.m. tomorrow morning. Here we go. :blob2:

Good luck to her and you. She will need a lot of support as it is a long, painful process. Be patient with her.

:confused2:Me neither. It sounds serious, and like something more than physical therapy is needed if the spurs are tearing tendons. Ouch! My comments are geared more toward tendonitis issues, which can be worked out and heal over time, but a tear is a tear...

Best of luck!! Please fill us in on how it turns out. Take care of your wife on her road to recovery.

Best of luck!! Please fill us in on how it turns out. Take care of your wife on her road to recovery.

Wife's surgery went well. Very bad damage to Roto-Cuff muscle. In-&-Out Surgery including recovery time of 30 minutes lasted 3 hrs. 45 minutes. Began with I.V. drip w/pain med, then a pain block injection directly into the shoulder damage area. This was done prior to going in to the surgery room. She was then placed in an operation chair for final surgery. 3 laser holes, for scope, camera, deburing and suiture tool. Total arm numbness to last 24 hours. Sent home with arm in sling and a 72 hours ice pack, strong pain and nausea pills. No bathing for 72 hours recommended.

After 4.5 hours, she's coming out of the dizziness, and eating soup.

Therapy schedule #1 in 6 days, stitches removed in 10 days, Dr. appt in 40 days. Therapy at Hospital and home possible 6 months.

Glad to hear the wife is doing better. My wife works in a recovery room and sees how they send them home early. Ones the meds wear off it can be a bit nasty. It's still going to be a long road ahead for her so take it easy on the little lady. Think of how clean your fingernails will get from doing all them dishes.

Hope she does well.

Here it is Sunday Morning. The block Meds wore off yesterday afternoon. Gave her Ibuprofin 800 and she's been doing great except at 1:30am she had severe pain .
She wants to go to Church this am , so together we've managed to get her all fixed up. She is doing super. The Doc and nurses did a great job.

Latest posts

Back