New to the game....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilD41

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Philip is the name and I just wanted to say hello. This forum has been invaluable to me as I have started my journey into wood burning. I installed a Central Boiler E-Classic two years ago so this was my second winter burning. My wife and kids love the warm house and I enjoy the outside work.

So far I have managed to add a Stihl MS 280 saw (actually had it first) and just ordered a Northstar 37 ton splitter; should be here next week. I am guessing I burn about 10 cords a year here in Iowa and don't feel like splitting it by hand anymore.

I have just over 2 acres of woods, 3 total, so I don't have enough to sustain my new hobby, but it helps. So far all has gone will; warm house, happy family, better physical shape, and fun toys. Just wish I could find somewhere local to fill in my wood needs for cheap to free. Hopefully that will come with time.

To be fair, a truck would be nice as well, but I don't see that happening any time soon. Besides, finding ways to do hobbies with what you have, not what you want, is part of the fun.

Anyway, I have been lurking and reading and searching for my own gain for a while now. Thought I would start posting here and there and join the community.

Thanks so far!

Hi Phil, Welcome!

This is a great Forum. Enjoy Yourself. Ask questions. Offer suggestions!

Good bunch here!

If you learn to use the search function, you will be amazed at all of the knowlege that prople have shared.

Bob

If you learn to use the search function, you will be amazed at all of the knowledge that prople have shared.

You are right on here! My decision for my OWB, saw, and splitter came from discussion on these forums. I have almost stopped looking anywhere else. That is one of the reasons I decided to jump in and try to be a little more active. At least as much as time allows.

Welcome Phil. Good job on burning some wood for your family. 10 cords is a gym membership. Keep up the good work!:msp_thumbup:

Welcome, be careful of CAD. That is the worst thing I have found on here. :hmm3grin2orange:

Heating with wood gives satisfaction and keeps the oil and propane man at bay. (That would be me, lol) I hauled some locust home in my fuel truck the other day from a customer that my boss worked for in high school. They had fun with me for that, but hey, I take what I can get, especially locust, lol!:rock:

Thanks everyone, I am looking forward to it.

Welcome, be careful of CAD. That is the worst thing I have found on here.

Okay, I guess I will show my naiveté here.... I have no idea what CAD is. Anyone care to edumacate me?

Thanks everyone, I am looking forward to it.

Okay, I guess I will show my naiveté here.... I have no idea what CAD is. Anyone care to edumacate me?

CAD is Chainsaw Aquisition Disease. It is very catching if you hang around here for too long. Many guys start with one chainsaw, and end up with a garage full! Haha!

Bob

CAD is Chainsaw Aquisition Disease.
I see... I can see my collection of toys growing a little, but I can't afford to add too much. Burning wood is a cost savings for me and I need to keep it that way. ;)

Glad to have you on board fellow Iowan
Eastern Iowa huh.... yeah, we can't be too far away from each other. Glad to know there are a few others around here.

CAD isn’t the only thing you need to watch out for. I remember a time when the wife and I would be going for a ride and we’d be looking at the older homes. Now when we go for a ride, we see all the dead standing trees along the road that would look good in our wood pile. It got to be a standing joke with the wife.. We’ll be going along and she’ll spot a big old dead tree and say… ‘keep your eyes on the road’.

Bet you'll be doing the same.. Funny how those dead trees now look like extra money in a guys pocket.

Welcome to the site! Stronger man than me if your able to stick to just one saw.
My wife does the same thing...too funny, she also picks out dead trees as we go down the road, and follow's up w/ what saw would you use to cut that one down. My response would be that it takes three, one to fell, one to buck and one to limb.

Now when we go for a ride, we see all the dead standing trees along the road that would look good in our wood pile.
Glad to know I'm not the only one - nearly every dead tree, log pile, and woodstack makes me wonder how I could get it home when I'm driving around. Doesn't matter if I'm out of state without my truck, it still makes me think of burning it.

Now when we go for a ride, we see all the dead standing trees along the road that would look good in our wood pile.
That makes me laugh!! Yeah, it didn't take too long for this to start. The farmers spent a lot of time this spring cleaning up the fence rows. I couldn't help but stop at a few farm houses just in case they didn't already have plans for the left overs. Unfortunately they did. Blasted.

Last edited:
Welcome, Phil from another fellow Iowan. I'm on the SW side.

CAD isn't the only thing you have to worry about while you troll this site. FAD (Firewood Acquisition Disorder) is much worse than CAD. I am currently in therapy for this disorder (read that as "I am cutting every thing I can"). My wife has given up trying to fight it and is now helping me, I think she has FAD too!

My friends and family tell me there is something wrong with me when I have 5+ years of firewood cut, split and drying and I still search for more. I tell them when the sun burns out I will be the only one with light and heat and all the hot chicks will be running to me to stay warm!:msp_smile:

FAD (Firewood Acquisition Disorder) is much worse than CAD.
This I could see actually becoming a problem. :) I would love to just have 2 years of wood stored up. At 10ish cords a year though that is a lot of work. Hopefully some day I will get there. My plan is to eventually be cutting wood for the next year so everything is seasoned two years.

Oh, If you ever decide you have too much wood let me know. I would be more than happy to help an Iowa work through a disorder. ;)

Welcome Phil

Another Iowan here. Probably drive right by you 20-30 times a year. I've got lots of customers down in your area and Highway 30 East off I380 is one of the main routes I need to take on my way to towns like Stanwood, Clarence, Tipton, Bennett and New Liberty. I've spent more than a few nights in the motel in Mount Vernon/Lisbon (can't think of its name) right by the Casey's... always have Casey's Pizza for supper. Haven't stayed there for a couple years now... is it still open for business?

Haven't stayed there for a couple years now... is it still open for business?
Hey Whitespider,

We moved here in 2004 and to be honest I don't know if it is still open or not. I don't think it is though. There is a new Sleep Inn in Mt. Vernon though. Regardless, that is my neck of the woods. yummmm.... Casey's pizza! I know, I know, it is gas station pizza, but it is GOOD. :msp_tongue:

Latest posts

Back