what's next????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMFARM 2009

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
here it is... lawn mower blew up last week... still recovering from shoulder injury, so money's limited, ok the sd is costing me huge at the pump, so i figured the wife started a new job, first in two years..
i had a choice to make, buy a splitter and bigger saw or mower or a newer car easier on fuel ( better then the truck..) anyhow after searching for cars on the net. i found a nice one owner 1998 crown vic,loaded with everything 100,000 miles on it cheap.$3,000.00. so i buy it for her,
going to pick it up tomorrow.. nice car for her to drive and i will use the old 93 crown vic (which she loves)for work..anyhow she got pissed off.. go figure..
i looked at it as if i buy the splitter it will set until i get better... the mower , we can borrow my uncles for the summer anyhow..he's offered it for use.. so what we save in gas will help replace the other items...needless to say she's still not talking..
oh well at least she isn't nagging...:bang::bang::bang:

anyone else have this kind of issue?
ever bought something for your wife that she didn't appreciate?
i thought she would like it better then the dish washer i bought her for our anniversary. or the sweeper for christmas...
heck it isn't even her birthday...:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

anyone else have this kind of issue?
ever bought something for your wife that she didn't appreciate?
i thought she would like it better then the dish washer i bought her for our anniversary. or the sweeper for christmas...
heck it isn't even her birthday...:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Once you raise the bar it keeps on going up, you should never get expensive gifts then she expects them.

who know's...when i was racing dirt bikes she stated she wanted to go with me and learn to ride... so i bought her a quad to start out on she got p.o'd about it too...
maybe i should just take the newer car ???? she loves the older one
it leaks water in cause it was wrecked on passengers side and seals on the doors don't seal tight.. so i figured i would give her something nicer to drive... go figure.. women????

if i had known of the response earlier i would have bought my splitter and my new saw....
she just said it's the money, i explained it will be saving us $75.00 a week in gas alone... so it will pay its way quickly..especially if gas prices rise more then they have already.
she's been driving about 250 miles weekly to run her mom back and forth to doctors lately, so i will feel better seeing her drive something a little newer..her current car has 270,000 miles on it...the new one has 100,000 miles on it.. i believe it will pass once she drives it home tomorrow..:yoyo:

if i had known of the response earlier i would have bought my splitter and my new saw....
she just said it's the money, i explained it will be saving us $75.00 a week in gas alone... so it will pay its way quickly..especially if gas prices rise more then they have already.
she's been driving about 250 miles weekly to run her mom back and forth to doctors lately, so i will feel better seeing her drive something a little newer..her current car has 270,000 miles on it...the new one has 100,000 miles on it.. i believe it will pass once she drives it home tomorrow..:yoyo:

That does add a little perspective to the story. You have to appreciate a woman that is concerned about spending money. Staying on budget and out of debt should be mission critical for every family.

yep, i agree but its not that much... 10 years ago i went and spent $250,000 .00 on farm equipment... she didn't say a word..
i think its really due to the fact i didn't consult her first... but its money we have left from selling equipment and livestock.. besides i will be buying more equipment this year to use on firewood... i have more to sell also.. we still have five grand of equipment and 2 grand of livestock to go yet...i will be glad when its all gone.. too time consuming..always something wrong..:hmm3grin2orange:

Good mileage??

I just guess I wouldn't have put a crown vic up in that category. When I think of good mileage I think four cylinder jap car or euro diesel or something.

anyway..ya, should have let her pick one out. Wimminks iz goofy, they think of body color and style and stuff like that over soundness and whatnot. I used to work on a car lot, I just do not recall any women getting down on hands and knees looking for fluid leaks under a ride.

My GF checks out cars like this "ohh, that's cute"!!! or not...if it don't pass the cute test, it's not worth a second look to her. Now ME, I want easy cranking and point A to B and no blue smoke outta the exhaust and sounds good, good running, after that I do not care if the door needs a bungee cord to stay shut or if all four wheels are different.. I want maximum transpo miles for dollars outlay, fullstop. I won't drop a penny on bling.

You're correct Zogger. Vics. are not as good when it comes to fuel mileage as little 4 banger diesels. But, they sure as heck don't cost you much in the initial purchase either. They have the highest depreciation rate among any car ever made. Something crazy like 80 percent after 5 years. That's what makes 'em cheap to run. That and not a whole lot ever goes wrong with them.

Last edited:
all my dad ran for years

You're correct Zogger. Vics. are not as good when it comes to fuel mileage as little 4 banger diesels. But, they sure as heck don't cost you much in the initial purchase either. They have the highest depreciation rate among any car ever made. Something crazy like 80 percent after 5 years. That's what makes 'em cheap to run. That and not a whole lot ever goes wrong with them.

crown vics or marquis..but he towed a boat with them all the time. So finally he gets too old for the boat, decides he wants an even nicer ride, and finally gets a near new lincoln. Sells the last crown vic and the boat. But now he has geezerheimerz and can't drive. :(

So ya, ride what ya want when ya want, cuz ya never know when that won't be possible.

I'm a little confused on how this is going to save you alot of money in fuel economy. A 98 CV can't be that much better on gas than a 93...what are we talking about here, 16mpg instead of 15.5? What kind of economy do you get in the truck that a 93 CV is a step up in savings?

Don't forget that you need to factor in the additional annual costs of maintaining, insuring and operating a third vehicle too.

I guess I just disagree with the logic of getting a full sized v8 powered car for 1 or 2 people to drive 250+ miles per week in the name of saving money. I would have looked at a smaller car with a 4 or 6 cylinder engine and push the economy into the 22-26mpg range.

I'm a little confused on how this is going to save you alot of money in fuel economy. A 98 CV can't be that much better on gas than a 93...what are we talking about here, 16mpg instead of 15.5? What kind of economy do you get in the truck that a 93 CV is a step up in savings?

Don't forget that you need to factor in the additional annual costs of maintaining, insuring and operating a third vehicle too.

I guess I just disagree with the logic of getting a full sized v8 powered car for 1 or 2 people to drive 250+ miles per week in the name of saving money. I would have looked at a smaller car with a 4 or 6 cylinder engine and push the economy into the 22-26mpg range.

:agree2:

...plus maybe she wants an "emotionally" motivated gift. Something nice and feel good (jewelry, a dress, weekend getaway, etc.) instead of something practical. Men are practical, women are emotional. That's why men and women get along so great together.

But.....Its a small V8. It shouldn't really count. And the fuel economy is right at the 20+ range anyway. Basically, as I explained in my previous post, its not really the fuel mileage that makes those cars attractive. Its the low initial cost. And the low cost of ownership. I'm not really a Ford guy either. I can't believe I'm advocating for those darn things.

Instead of buying another make/model used rig. Buy a Vic/Marq/Town Car. The prices are good and they're all the same. A Mecury is just a Ford but with brass lock washers and a Lincoln is just a Mecury with chrome lock washers. The Fords have plain old steel lock washers.

Oh man I hope I don't catch any heat for this one. I'm mostly joking.

And, Zogger, you are right again. Yes, drive what you want. Enjoy your time. But, as you and I have previously discussed and both agree on, use our resources responsibly.

Last edited:
GM did it too!

But.....Its a small V8. It shouldn't really count. And the fuel economy is right at the 20+ range anyway. Basically, as I expalined in my previous post, its not really the fuel mileage that makes those cars attractive. Its the low initial cost. And the low cost of ownership. I'm not really a Ford guy either. I can't believe I'm advocating for those darn things.

Instead of buying another make/model used rig. Buy a Vic/Marq/Town Car. The prices are good and they're all the same. A Mecury is just a Ford but with brass lock washers and a Lincoln is just a Mecury with chrome lock washers. The Fords have plain old steel lock washers.

Oh man I hope I don't catch any heat for this one. I'm mostly joking.

And, Zogger, you are right again. Yes, drive what you want. Enjoy your time. But, as you and I have previously discussed and both agree on, use our resources responsibly.

ha, remember cadillac cimmarons? Rebadged shiny chevy cavaliers, for several extra thou. Pretty expensive for the chrome lock washers and cadillac emblem!

Heck, on my bench, I am having a hard time not seeing "home owner/ box store husky" when I tear down "cheap poulans".

ha, remember cadillac cimmarons? Rebadged shiny chevy cavaliers, for several extra thou. Pretty expensive for the chrome lock washers and cadillac emblem!

Heck, on my bench, I am having a hard time not seeing "home owner/ box store husky" when I tear down "cheap poulans".

Nooooooo........you don't want those lower end Husky's. I believe it if they resemble Poulans.

I used to work with a guy that constantly talked trash about Husqvarna. I said "what about the 372, even if you're a Stihl guy you gotta agree that it is one of the best saws ever made." He replies, "I'm not a Stihl fan, Poulans are the saw any self respecting halfway serious sawyer would ever run." No kidding, I thought to myself.

A while later he brings his Poulan Wild Thing to use at work on a brush clearing job because he refused to use the "little pos" Husky 51 that was provided. He was serious too. I thought he was joking.

Back