Wood Hauler Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are the specs on this trailer? length/width/axles etc?
Thanks it looks exactly like what I'm looking for size wise

Top Hat is the brand. A local dealer sells them here and it is a good trailer. (Was, sold it a few months ago.)

It was a 7'x24' bed (might have been 7.5' wide?) with 7k axles under it. I ordered it with the extended tongue (4' instead of the standard 3' so I could put my tool box on the tongue) and 5' ramps instead of the standard 4'. Cost me just over $4k brand new about 1.5 years ago. The 24' came with 4" square tube for the top rail. All of their smaller trailers have the smaller round tube up there. It was a VERY solid trailer.

I've researched trailers a bit lately, look into PJ Trailers and they seem to have a real solid rep. I just ordered a dump trailer from them, it should be here in a couple weeks.

PJ seems to make an OK dump trailer but if you want a MONSTER dump trailer, look at the Big-Lug brand. WOW!

PJ seems to make an OK dump trailer but if you want a MONSTER dump trailer, look at the Big-Lug brand. WOW!

I looked at their trailers and a dump similar to the PJ I bought is over $9,000......the PJ is $7,600. with the Maine tax tagged on. That seems a tad high and it weighs just about the same as the model I bought so it can't be a whole lot ruggeder. There are no dealers near me either. It's probably a real good trailer, but not the deal for me at the moment.

9 grand

I looked at their trailers and a dump similar to the PJ I bought is over $9,000......the PJ is $7,600. with the Maine tax tagged on. That seems a tad high and it weighs just about the same as the model I bought so it can't be a whole lot ruggeder. There are no dealers near me either. It's probably a real good trailer, but not the deal for me at the moment.

For nine grand around here you can buy 2 to 4 actual real decent shape good running dump trucks. With not much rust....beaters that are still functional you can get for around 1500, and cheaper than that if you don't mind a little blue smoke out the tail pipe. ;)

36" Pallet Forks on a John Deere 2520

We can lift and carry up to 1,100 pounds with the forks. We generally cut logs in the woods, pick them up and carry them either to our trailer or to the log stack, which is two long poplar trees laid side by side on top of which we stack all of our logs for firewood. Our logs don't get dirty, which means chains last a long time. We also don't handle the wood by hand until it reaches the splitter. Here is my son moving some future firewood to the trailer while the excavation is taking place for a house he is building.

IMG_3675.jpg

So Jealous

A buddy of mine owns a shop that sells and Installs Offroad parts and what not. I stop by every so often to chat, another buddy of mine is the mechanic there. So yesterday I was in picking up some new tires for my ATV. My friend that owns the shop says.. “Hey.. you gotta come check this out” So we go out into the bay where they work on the Rigs. Sitting on the Hoist was a brand spanking new Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 4 door with the Megacab. He ordered it 3 months ago, just came in, he drove it from the dealer to his shop and now it’s in pieces. Has 22km on it. They’re putting in a 6” Lift on it 37’s tires, plus a whack of programmers and upgrades for the Cummins. He said by the time they’re done it’ll have over 1000 ft/lbs to the back wheels..

I don’t need all the lift and toys but man that was a nice truck!!!

A buddy of mine owns a shop that sells and Installs Offroad parts and what not. I stop by every so often to chat, another buddy of mine is the mechanic there. So yesterday I was in picking up some new tires for my ATV. My friend that owns the shop says.. “Hey.. you gotta come check this out” So we go out into the bay where they work on the Rigs. Sitting on the Hoist was a brand spanking new Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 4 door with the Megacab. He ordered it 3 months ago, just came in, he drove it from the dealer to his shop and now it’s in pieces. Has 22km on it. They’re putting in a 6” Lift on it 37’s tires, plus a whack of programmers and upgrades for the Cummins. He said by the time they’re done it’ll have over 1000 ft/lbs to the back wheels..

I don’t need all the lift and toys but man that was a nice truck!!!

I don't think I could bring myself to void basically my entire warranty that early!

1000 lb./Ft. isn't that much from a diesel truck with some mods! Stock you can get a Dodge with the 6.7 Cummins with 800 Lb./Ft.

We can lift and carry up to 1,100 pounds with the forks. We generally cut logs in the woods, pick them up and carry them either to our trailer or to the log stack, which is two long poplar trees laid side by side on top of which we stack all of our logs for firewood. Our logs don't get dirty, which means chains last a long time. We also don't handle the wood by hand until it reaches the splitter. Here is my son moving some future firewood to the trailer while the excavation is taking place for a house he is building.

IMG_3675.jpg
We just purchased a 2520. How do you like yours so far? Only had ours couple of months now. Really like it. Loader and backhoe also.

I use a 92 Ford F450 dump trk and my home made log wagon.Works great.

View attachment 184458View attachment 184459

boss has one just like that, with the diesel. It WILL haul some decent amount of wood, tell ya what, I've used it a lot when I first started here and was grabbing all the close to the gravel roads wood I could get.. It's just a nancy boy in the mud though, and takes a small crawler to get it unstuck. Had to give up using that and switch to the tractor with a home made cargo box to go down in the swamp areas and drag out the good stuff. Can't tote near as much as that dump could carry, but the tractor can get from point A to B, anytime, anywhere.

PoorboyPaul,

I am very happy with it. As I said, my son is building a house and the thing has been a real godsend so far. I would buy one again in a heartbeat. Oh, my next-door-neighbor has a Kubota of similar size, not sure what model it is but its about 3 years old and he stood awestruck while we were moving some logs out of the woods near where our properties join. His machine, according to him, has no traction at all and could not go to places where ours was just steaming right along with no problems. Made me feel good. I have to say this too, that set of forks is about the most useful tool you can imagine and can be changed out between it and the bucket by one person in just about a minute.

kubota 4wd

PoorboyPaul,

I am very happy with it. As I said, my son is building a house and the thing has been a real godsend so far. I would buy one again in a heartbeat. Oh, my next-door-neighbor has a Kubota of similar size, not sure what model it is but its about 3 years old and he stood awestruck while we were moving some logs out of the woods near where our properties join. His machine, according to him, has no traction at all and could not go to places where ours was just steaming right along with no problems. Made me feel good. I have to say this too, that set of forks is about the most useful tool you can imagine and can be changed out between it and the bucket by one person in just about a minute.

--we have one of those here on the farm (a smaller kubota), it is the newest tractor, and it just will not go in the mud, 4wd or not. No idea why not, but the old two wheel drive tractor I use, an aircooled deutz, can go lots better in the mud. I mean the engine is jamup,. starts easy, drives swell, just hit some mud and that's it, all the wheels just slip. We have four kubota diesel mowers as well, three of them 4wd, same thing, won't go in even a little bit of mud, just slip (including soggy turf). My old rear engine cheapo snapper rider will drive through deeper mud than those ten to twenty grand mowers. I ain't kidding. Cut taller grass without bogging/plugging up as well.....

There must be some models of kubotas that are good, they certainly charge a premium price for them and they have cred, but I haven't personally used one yet that I was satisfied with.

Quick rant: Search must be case-sensitive...couldn't find this thread looking for "hauler"...had to dig through four pages of posts to find it!

/rant

Now to the subject -- one of the guys on a tractor board I hang out on found this Polish video:

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xynb0DKygZA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quick rant: Search must be case-sensitive...couldn't find this thread looking for "hauler"...had to dig through four pages of posts to find it!

/rant

Now to the subject -- one of the guys on a tractor board I hang out on found this Polish video:

Glad he didn't need to halt in a hurry.;)

/rant

---video---

The little KommieTracktor gets an A+ for effort and getting the job done. The steering wheel holder gets an F. That job could have been done with a lot less drama and wear and tear with a real operator in the seat.

Glad he didn't need to halt in a hurry.;)

Actually, it probably stops a lot better than it goes. European trailers all are required to have brakes, at one point of the video you can see the air lines (semi style air brakes) running down the hitch from the tractor. It's quite a bit safer than the guy with the little Kubota overgrown lawn mower pulling a farm wagon with 6 tons of bales on it that is far too common over here.

Back