020 AV Flywheel Puller

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tipomac

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been tweaking on a 020 AV for the last month or so. Through a few other acquisitions (parts saws) I have accumulated a WT 15A, chain brake, rear handle and a bunch of useless junk. Now I want to do the electronic ignition conversion, which means pulling the flywheel.

In the past I've hammered wood shim shingles under the flywheel for upward pressure then done the wack wack on the crank. It works but very uncivilized. Time to make a puller. For once I remembered to take pictures before instead of afterwards. Here's my version of a flywheel puller for a 020 AV. I'm sure it will work on some other saws too.

I read here someone used a 1/2" pipe thread, so I started with a 2" nipple. Pipe thread is tapered and the end is to small. Trim it back leaving 3-4 threads or so they barely show when screwed into the flywheel.

attachment.php

attachment.php

A 3/8" nut fits nicely into the other end with just a little help of a hammer. Screw a bolt in until it almost comes out the cut end. This is your indicator that the nut is positioned squarely in the nipple, make sure it's centered.

attachment.php

Tack weld the nut in place. Yeah, I know it's not pretty.

attachment.php

Screw the puller into the flywheel. Screw a 3/8" bolt in until the flywheel comes off.

attachment.php

Last edited:
For some reason I can`t see your picts, screen says its an invalid file. The pipe thread does not fit the metric 22 X 1.5 thread of the flywheel but it does jamb itself in there. The real mcoy only costs under $20. from a dealer or about the same plus shipping from eBay. Not worth ruining flywheel threads on expensive saws to save that kind of money.

For some reason I can`t see your picts, screen says its an invalid file. The pipe thread does not fit the metric 22 X 1.5 thread of the flywheel but it does jamb itself in there. The real mcoy only costs under $20. from a dealer or about the same plus shipping from eBay. Not worth ruining flywheel threads on expensive saws to save that kind of money.

Had to mess with re-re-resizing the pictures.

I guess I have more time than money.
msp_unsure.gif

homemade flywheel puller

The pipe thread does not fit the metric 22 X 1.5 thread of the flywheel but it does jamb itself in there. The real mcoy only costs under $20. from a dealer or about the same plus shipping from eBay. Not worth ruining flywheel threads on expensive saws to save that kind of money.

The procedure just takes an extra step. Cut the threaded portion completely off the piece of pipe. Then cut new threads with the appropriate metric die. As long as you have all the parts and tools handy, it wouldn't take much more time to make a puller than it would to search for one on the net. As for me, I'm a tinkerer and enjoy the process of making my own tools.

Couldn't you just clip the wire? Is that where you mounted the
trigger unit? Which trigger unit did you use?

Couldn't you just clip the wire? Is that where you mounted the
trigger unit? Which trigger unit did you use?

I have not done the conversion yet. I received this coil and trigger along with a parts saw and was told they were for the 020. The coil looks new and I got a reading on a meter when I passed the flywheel magnets over it.

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

Numbers don't match the IPL but I saw this trigger module in this thread. HELP please! Another 020 with no spark.

I figured I would give this stuff a try first and if it doesn't work I would use a Nova II.

Any info on these parts and opinions of the Nova II would be appreciated.

i know i'm no help now....
but
i have had great luck just popping an electronic stihl 009 coil on and runnin' it.

the timing winds up being of 2-3* but the 3-4 020av i have done this to run and cut great.

Had to mess with re-re-resizing the pictures.

I guess I have more time than money.
msp_unsure.gif

I enjoy making my own tools also and have a big assortment of home made tools but they have to really fit and work correctly to satisfy me. Pipe thread does not fit the flywheel threads properly so I guess my point was to bring this to everyones attention that the pipe threads were just jambing in there and not threading in properly. In the case where the flywheel does not come off easily I have seen the threads damnaged on the flywheel when the pipe nipple pulls out and leaves the flywheel in place, the threads are damaged and the proper puller then has nothing to thread into.

I enjoy making my own tools also and have a big assortment of home made tools but they have to really fit and work correctly to satisfy me. Pipe thread does not fit the flywheel threads properly so I guess my point was to bring this to everyones attention that the pipe threads were just jambing in there and not threading in properly. In the case where the flywheel does not come off easily I have seen the threads damnaged on the flywheel when the pipe nipple pulls out and leaves the flywheel in place, the threads are damaged and the proper puller then has nothing to thread into.

Point taken.

I got this saw off craigslist and and it turns out it was from a member here on AS. It runs good but it's a bastard son of two mothers, three fathers and an abortion or two thrown in to really confuse matters. I made a mistake, but I've turned it into a "learning saw". Even if I screw something up it's still better than it was before. Hey, I'm learning, enjoying it, and it feeds my major tweaking appetite.

the electronic ignition can be bought used for peanuts...

Now I am aware of the 009 ignition swap. Thanks. I would assume that like the 020 there are two different coils for the 009, points and electronic ignition. The cheapest 009 coil I see on ebay is $26.50 shipped, and it doesn't say if it electronic or not. A Nova II can be had for 15 bucks delivered. I already had the coil and trigger I posted pictures of, they were extra parts thrown in with another saw. Can anyone help me ID them or tell me if they might work on the 020??????? That "C" shaped trigger fits perfectly into the case behind the flywheel.

Back