Huskee 35 ton Re-power

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We have owned this Huskee 35t for several years and it has been a really good splitter...Except for the recoil start which trys to rip your arm off when you aren't paying attention. This spring it started losing the little nylon pawls in the recoil and we just kept fighting with it. Something needed to change. I would like to introduce...TA DA

Huskee 2.0
Electric start.

attachment.php

The work was done by my brother who is a lurker here on the site so total props to him for a job done well.

attachment.php

It is something that this splitter just needed to have and it is so nice.

attachment.php

attachment.php

[url]http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=185401&stc=1&d=1306527310[/url][IMG]

[IMG]http://www.arboristsite.com/attachments/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/185401d1306527310-dsc02912-640x480-jpg

This is him checking out his good work.

I had been wanting to do this for the last couple of years but I couldn't bring myself to pitch a running motor. Between the pawls and the oil leak in the main seal that had just started now seemed like as good at time as any. And the best part is. I didn't have to even turn a wrench. :clap:
Having electric start rocks!!

Last edited:
:rock: It is needed.If you dont find the sweet spot it will rip your arm off.

I read a thread here a long time ago where one AS member bought a new flywheel and a starter that bolted right on the original motor.

Thanks,Lefty...

wood table

I like the removable wooden table to set the wood on to resplit. Looks simple and useful.

:rock: It is needed.If you dont find the sweet spot it will rip your arm off.

I read a thread here a long time ago where one AS member bought a new flywheel and a starter that bolted right on the original motor.

Thanks,Lefty...

=====

I would be up for that...anybody have more info on it...

=====

I would be up for that...anybody have more info on it...

Hi all you need is flywheel, stator and starter should bolt right on did it to a b/s on a trail mower it had 11.5 hp removed stuff from a 12hp 14hp will work also
hope this helps

Yes the table is nice to have. I made it up in about 15 minutes. It just rests on the beam and is held in place by 2 bungie cords that hook to the other side. It is light enough to make it woods portable and rides on the foot when not attached.
I looked at the flywheel swap out at one time but didn't persue it much farther than pricing out the parts.

Yes the table is nice to have. I made it up in about 15 minutes. It just rests on the beam and is held in place by 2 bungie cords that hook to the other side. It is light enough to make it woods portable and rides on the foot when not attached.
I looked at the flywheel swap out at one time but didn't persue it much farther than pricing out the parts.

Yes if you don't have the parts would be $$$$

The B&S 10hp horizontal I have has a spot for a starter with a block off plate and has teeth on the flywheel.Wonder if a starter off a B&S 6.5 vertical will bolt up?I have a parts mower that was used once and stored only to be ruined by mice and given to me so now I'm having an idea bounce around.:dizzy:

The B&S 10hp horizontal I have has a spot for a starter with a block off plate and has teeth on the flywheel.Wonder if a starter off a B&S 6.5 vertical will bolt up?I have a parts mower that was used once and stored only to be ruined by mice and given to me so now I'm having an idea bounce around.:dizzy:

No engine can be ruined by mice if there was an air filter on the engine...

Maybe some dead mice/nests may be in the air shrouds, but it ain't gonna hurt the engine.

Our 317 sat for 3 years, I got it out and took the tins off, found a dead mouse baked onto the tin that covers the left cylinder head. Scraped the mouse off into a trash can, and cleaned it up good, slapped her back together and fired her up. Runs great.

Which is a good thing since our other 317 felt like taking a break... so that one needs to be worked on now... :dizzy:

Kinda like dual wielding yo-yos, one's up, the other's down. :censored:

A nest in the cooling WILL ruin an air cooled engine. If you park equipment in a barn or other open building, you really need to clean the cooling system each season before the first use.

Don't ask me how I know.

No engine can be ruined by mice if there was an air filter on the engine...

Maybe some dead mice/nests may be in the air shrouds, but it ain't gonna hurt the engine.

Our 317 sat for 3 years, I got it out and took the tins off, found a dead mouse baked onto the tin that covers the left cylinder head. Scraped the mouse off into a trash can, and cleaned it up good, slapped her back together and fired her up. Runs great.

Which is a good thing since our other 317 felt like taking a break... so that one needs to be worked on now... :dizzy:

Kinda like dual wielding yo-yos, one's up, the other's down. :censored:

GEEVEE likes Promac's wife's butt.
:heart::msp_wub:

Looks good, but I'd probably put a strap around that battery for the first few trips until you are sure those tubes aren't going to crack and break at the bends. That tubing doesn't look very strong, especially considering the splitter doesn't have any suspension and may hop around a bit going down the road.

Just my $0.02 worth

Just as a general engine replacement recommendation I have found the answer for me for any future replacements I might have to do. Last year I had to replace the engine on my rototiller. It used to have a B&S 7hp horizontal shaft engine. I bought a Subaru-Robbins engine for it and installed it. I was so impressed with that engine, and still am today, that I decided right then and there that as long as they remain available it would be Subaru-Robbins for me. Their engines are so much better built than any of the competition that its almost had to explain, there is simply no comparison to be made. The S-R engines uses some of the same parts as their automobile engines, the thing has always - and I mean always - started on the very first pull, right from the first time I took it out of the box until last week when I ran it again. The engines are astounding. That, in a time when all the small engines are painted a pretty color and are nothing but generic junk from China, is a very satisfying thing. Oh, shame that it is, the biggest problem is that now the American manufacturers have to either meet or better the price the Chinese are asking, which means a relentless march toward cheaper production and lower quality. This is where we are headed, in fact we are much of the way there now - producers of low quality junk that's only saving grace is that it cost as little as the other low quality junk the Chineese can produce. Its a crying shame.

Enjoy that electric start. Watch take battery box if you tow that splitter very much.

The nice thing about being where I am is that the splitter never has to leave the property and never travels behind anything faster than a tractor. I'm not sure how some the folks on the board deal with the long distance between home and where they cut. My hat is off to them.

The nice thing about being where I am is that the splitter never has to leave the property and never travels behind anything faster than a tractor. I'm not sure how some the folks on the board deal with the long distance between home and where they cut. My hat is off to them.[/QUO

It is not a lot of fun hauling equipment 12 miles all the time over to our other farm were we cut most of our wood. I have been trying to get a shed put up over there but the shed people all seem to be busy. I do leave the track loader there most of the time and just cover it with a tarp. I do haul the splitters and trailers back and forth.

Back