Echo CS-300

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ggriffin80

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have found an echo cs-300 for 100 bucks. This is a cheap price. The owner is a homeowner who used it for simple pruning, and she said that it was only used about 10 times. It hasn't been used in over two years and won't start. I am going to buy it, but would like to get it started on my own. I am not experienced in saw repair. I am thinking a simple tune up kit get this thing running? Does anyone have any other suggestions for things that could be wrong with it that may cause it to be expensive to fix?

I would check the fuel lines because if they sit for a few years they can go all gummy. Also before you buy the saw I would check and make sure it has spark.

Have fun with the new toy!

Husky 394walkerized, Stihl ms361 with muff mod, Jonsered 630 super.

How much would "gummy" fuel lines cost? How would I check them? I am assuming I would see if it has spark first. If it does, I would then move on to the fuel lines? Thanks

Probably looking at a good carb cleaning. When fuel breaks down it leaves behind a varnish like residue which clogs up fuel passages in the carburetor. Don't forget the seal kit.

How much would "gummy" fuel lines cost? How would I check them? I am assuming I would see if it has spark first. If it does, I would then move on to the fuel lines? Thanks

Fuel lines are like 5 or so bucks, and to check them you can just feel them, like if they feel super soft, or stick to your hands

I have a 302s about the same saw. I just put fuel lines on mine. You have to pull the flywheel off to do that. Not real hard but it takes a puller. I don't know if they all are or not, but mine has points. I replaced those with a omega module from napa and it works great.

Probably looking at a good carb cleaning. When fuel breaks down it leaves behind a varnish like residue which clogs up fuel passages in the carburetor. Don't forget the seal kit.

How do you clean the carb? Again, I have very little experience. I have only cleaned my saw after daily use and left the maintenance to the mechanic. Lesson learned--learn to take care of my machines :)

How do you clean the carb? Again, I have very little experience. I have only cleaned my saw after daily use and left the maintenance to the mechanic. Lesson learned--learn to take care of my machines :)

If you go to your local hardware store you should be able to get a spray can of Carb cleaner, then take your carb off. Once you have done that you can now go ahead and take it a part, make sure when you do that you put all the small parts in order of how they came out, so you can put them back in the right way.

I pretty much agree. $100 for a running one with no issues would be more like it. They are pretty darn cheap brand new. I think the newer version of that saw still sells for about $300 with 5 year warranty etc

I have found an echo cs-300 for 100 bucks. This is a cheap price. The owner is a homeowner who used it for simple pruning, and she said that it was only used about 10 times. It hasn't been used in over two years and won't start. I am going to buy it, but would like to get it started on my own. I am not experienced in saw repair. I am thinking a simple tune up kit get this thing running? Does anyone have any other suggestions for things that could be wrong with it that may cause it to be expensive to fix?
First off...and not being rude..but honest....
You don't have a clue about working on small engines!!

The last 2 completed sales of RUNNING CS-300's on eBay...
Were $78 and $50

The bill of getting this POS working is gonna be $100 ++...WHAT??

Do yourself a favor and walk away from it...!!!!!!!!
:cheers:
J2F

First off...and not being rude..but honest....
You don't have a clue about working on small engines!!

The last 2 completed sales of RUNNING CS-300's on eBay...
Were $78 and $50

The bill of getting this POS working is gonna be $100 ++...WHAT??

Do yourself a favor and walk away from it...!!!!!!!!
J2F

Your being dm rude, that little Echo is built at least as good as your POS 192T most likely better, I'd take the carb apart , clean it out and have a good running little saw which might take 20 minutes with no parts. If the OP doesn't know a lot about saws this one is a good place to start. Sounds like it's nearly new but $75 would be enough. Did YOU have a clue how to work on a small engine the 1st time you did it. Steve

Your being dm rude, that little Echo is built at least as good as your POS 192T most likely better, I'd take the carb apart , clean it out and have a good running little saw which might take 20 minutes with no parts. If the OP doesn't know a lot about saws this one is a good place to start. Sounds like it's nearly new but $75 would be enough. Did YOU have a clue how to work on a small engine the 1st time you did it. Steve

Sorry to the OP and you if offended...was not my intention!!

The OP doesn't even know what "gummy" fuel line means...
nor how to even start cleaning a carb...huh??

Yeah...the POS 192 is not the greatest saw
But you "dm" sure won't see a running one sell for $50 or $78....now will you???!!!

Now if the OP had said he wanted to LEARN about repairing chainsaws...
And this is a "project"...then have at it!!! But he didn't say that!!

BUT...if he thinks it is a cheap "bargain"...it's not for $100 upfront!!

Again I apologize to any that I offended...was not my intention.
J2F

He said he wanted to get it started on his own, good enough for me that he wants to learn. What the 192t and the Echo cs300 sell for used doesn't say anything about quality, more like it's a Stihl mentallity or lack of it and it's a top handle. I've had 192t saws apart, closely realated to the MS170 both in power and quality. Steve

He said he wanted to get it started on his own, good enough for me that he wants to learn. What the 192t and the Echo cs300 sell for used doesn't say anything about quality, more like it's a Stihl mentallity or lack of it and it's a top handle. I've had 192t saws apart, closely realated to the MS170 both in power and quality. Steve

Steve...BRO...not trying to get into a pissing match with ya!!

The OP said it was a ECHO CS-300...and that IS a top-handle saw!!
Perhaps you are thinking of the CS-300 EVL...a rear handle saw??

If/when he gets it running...it has still has less resale value than
what the original out-pay was?? Just don't make sense to me??

And...if I was just learning to work on a chainsaw...
I "dm" sure wouldn't START...with a top-handle!!

J2F

Last edited:
Come on little buddy's We should all be friends. It is easy to misunderstand something online. As I have heard, and seen before. But we should stand together.:msp_rolleyes:

Steve...BRO...not trying to get into a pissing match with ya!!

The OP said it was a ECHO CS-300...and that IS a top-handle saw!!
Perhaps you are thinking of the CS-300 EVL...a rear handle saw??

If/when he gets it running...it has still has less resale value than
what the original out-pay was?? Just don't make sense to me??

And...if I was just learning to work on a chainsaw...
I "dm" sure wouldn't START...with a top-handle!!

J2F

I don't know the small Echo saws that good, being a top handle that's been used maybe 10 times and now most likely has a gunked up carb that can't be that hard to take off I'd say it's a bargain at $100. We really don't need any Stihl snobbery on this this site which is what your OP was. Steve

I don't know the small Echo saws that good, being a top handle that's been used maybe 10 times and now most likely has a gunked up carb that can't be that hard to take off I'd say it's a bargain at $100. We really don't need any Stihl snobbery on this this site which is what your OP was. Steve
Now Steve..BRO... the OP said the homeowner...SAID...
That it had only been used maybe 10 times...ya don't really know??

Now ...like I posted on another thread..".What else would they say"??

Maybe the "homeowner" was actually Snoop Dawg in disguise??

I dunno...and I don't wanna know!!! LOL!!!
J2F

Wow. I wasn't trying to get everyone in a fit. I was just thinking of purchasing a saw that I could climb with on the side. I don't think it is wrong to ask for some help/advice. I will be the first to admit that I am not sure what is going on inside the saw, but I feel I can easily learn given the correct instruction. I wasn't aware of the resale value of the saw. The reason I was going to purchase this is because it is close to where I live and I could begin using it quickly. Thanks for the tip on that. I will begin to research other used climbing saws and weigh out my options. Thanks for the help and I guess I will stop posting questions about small engine repair. :(

Wow. I wasn't trying to get everyone in a fit. I was just thinking of purchasing a saw that I could climb with on the side. I don't think it is wrong to ask for some help/advice. I will be the first to admit that I am not sure what is going on inside the saw, but I feel I can easily learn given the correct instruction. I wasn't aware of the resale value of the saw. The reason I was going to purchase this is because it is close to where I live and I could begin using it quickly. Thanks for the tip on that. I will begin to research other used climbing saws and weigh out my options. Thanks for the help and I guess I will stop posting questions about small engine repair. :(
No!!!...NO!!!...don't stop asking questions about saws!!!

You have done nothing inappropriate!!

It was just a confusing post...and nothing more!!!

I'm just going to say small saws can be hard to "diagnose" problems..especially carbs...
and top-handle saws are a "hard starting place" if just beginning to learn repairing...
and leave it at that!!

If you request info and a 'genuine' question on this site...
Folks will do their best to give you advice!!

And again...if I offended you in my 1st reply...I apologize!!
J2F

Last edited:
Back