Awkward piece to remove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ggriffin80

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a customer who recently had everything removed from her tree except one thick branch. It looks like a Dr. Seuss tree. The people told her there was a hawks nest in the trunk so they could not cut that piece off. I think they screwed up. The piece goes out at an angle and is too thin to be comfortable in spurs on. There are no solid attachments to throw a rope into. I was thinking of getting an extension ladder and using a gas powered pruning saw or a pole saw to cut it off in pieces, but I have never been sold on the idea of using any saw while standing too high up on a ladder. Another option I have is to cut the piece off at the "base" (the trunk that has been left), but that is about 15 feet up, there are no tie ins, and the limb would extend over into the neighbors yard. It is a maple tree, and I am thinking it would fall slow and not snap too quickly. The limb itself extends about 25-35 feet beyond the leftover base. I am thinking I will probably pass on this job, but would like to see if there are any solutions I am over looking. Thanks.

Maybe this? http://www.arboristsite.com/commercial-tree-care-climbing/173930.htm or tie the branch off somewhere above the balance area, and false crotch it to the main trunk. Cut it and get out of the way. Or, Put a pulley in the trunk as high as possible, hook the rope as high as you can in the branch. Tie off the butt so it can't come off when your cutting it. Add a tag line if needed and have someone pull it a way from house as you cut it at an angle down low, and slowly lower the tip(rope throu pulley)of the branch as it swings away. There is always the cut little pieces with a pole saw method too. Post a picture and you'll get lots of suggestions Im sure.
Beastmaster

set a block high tip tie it and have a cpl strong groundies stand er up, or rig a MA if you lack strong enough groundies, if they left some log above it,if not look for another tree somewhere close enough

Take step ladder and pole saw to it after choking a light rope to the ends of the branch. Tie a metal clip on that rope to throw it over the branch. Pull the branch where you want as you cut it at an appropriate place.

There are plenty of options, but they depend a lot on what gear you have, and your skill level. Posting a pic would help a lot. The 3 main options are climbing and piecing out, climbing and rigging, and cutting from the ground with either pull ropes or just cutting small and letting it drop. There are innumerable variations on each of these, and which you choose depends on the fine variables of the job and your own preferences from your experience.

More info yields better answers....

Shaun

Awkward piece to remove.

I would never and could never condone the use of a power pole pruner or the like from a step or extension ladder. It is far to risky.
easy-lift guy

There are plenty of options, but they depend a lot on what gear you have, and your skill level. Posting a pic would help a lot. The 3 main options are climbing and piecing out, climbing and rigging, and cutting from the ground with either pull ropes or just cutting small and letting it drop. There are innumerable variations on each of these, and which you choose depends on the fine variables of the job and your own preferences from your experience.

More info yields better answers....

Shaun

I would like to try and climb it, but do not feel comfortable with my skill level or techniques I have been taught. I haven't been shown how to false crotch. I definitely don't want to spur up. I think I could get it all from a very tall ladder and pull saw, but would have to use an extension ladder. This does not seem safe to me. I just moved here and don't have any climbing help. I would like to figure this out so that I can complete the job and not have to pass it up. I will try to get some pictures of the tree, but feel kind of wierd asking the customer to come over for pics.

Anyone have a good excuse to take pictures of a tree before removing without causing the customer some hesitation?

I would like to try and climb it, but do not feel comfortable with my skill level or techniques I have been taught. I haven't been shown how to false crotch. I definitely don't want to spur up. I think I could get it all from a very tall ladder and pull saw, but would have to use an extension ladder. This does not seem safe to me. I just moved here and don't have any climbing help. I would like to figure this out so that I can complete the job and not have to pass it up. I will try to get some pictures of the tree, but feel kind of wierd asking the customer to come over for pics.

Anyone have a good excuse to take pictures of a tree before removing without causing the customer some hesitation?

Not at all, if you want some professional help and opinions, get some pictures, we don't want you getting hurt falling off a ladder. I take pictures of jobs for reference, customer will be more worried about you going up a ladder with a pole saw! We don't want to hear about you in the injuries & accidents forum.

Is there a way to make one without purchasing any new equipment? Could I use a piece of climbing rope and carabiners?

Yup. Double up those biners if your hucking any weight onto them though. But, if you have to ask, the job is probably not one you should tackle. No offense, but what you describe sounds like run of the mill ####.

i could not help but read this thread through and have to say, go and take some pics first thing in the AM before the neighbourhood starts to wake up, simple. Keep going back until you figure it out. I have been known to study a Tree for hours before tackling it, this sounds like one of those jobs, you do not really want to do, but need the $$ and so on. OK, why dont you want to spur it? sometimes you must just ascend and do the work, safely. When the wood is on the ground, you will be graduated from the "i dont want to spur it" club to the "its done" club. Cheers! (20yrsClimbin)

see if you can rent a long petrol pole saw for the day like a HT 131. They go out to about 14 feet, plus your 5 feet sounds like it will get you there. If you're a couple feet short park your trcuk under the tree if its all steel, be careful of your windows. I'm also guessing there's nothing but grass and the neighbours yard/fence under the limb? Get access to the neighbours yard, and go small. Like real small. Like small enough to catch in your hand.

Be sure to move any furniture/pot plants etc out of the way first. The pole saws are pretty cheap to rent for the day and some hire shops will even rent them out for half days. You might be able to get a bit of extra trimming work around the neighbourhood that would cover the cost of the hire.

Are you taking the trunk too? I'm guessing yeah. If so, go safe on that too. Spur up and block down, or notch, back cut, wedge and pull it over. Leave plenty of holding wood. Be sure to tell the HO in advance that there will be a divet in their lawn where the trunk hits. Some people can be a bit precious about their lawn.

Let us know how it goes!

Shaun

View attachment 187814View attachment 187815View attachment 187816

I am hoping these pictures show up.
I am glad I went over there to take pictures. The tree seems much more manageable after a 2nd look. I am just apprehensive because it has been a couple of years and I am starting to work my way back into climbing for extra cash.

There seem to be many tie in points on the tree. I am always a bit weary about tieing into the same piece that I am working on, but it looks like it has to be done. I am thinking I will tie in about 3/4 way up and use my pull saw to remove the top pieces. After that, I will begin to descend and continue to do the same thing. Once I have the top half removed, I will put a wedge cut in and drop the bottom half. Any other techniques or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you for the help and support.

Now that i see pic it looks too easy. It almost appears it could be notched and jumped over fence. Why would you even consider using a pole saw? Either climb just above canopy area set block and bull rope and tag line. That tree is cake what is your experience level? A polesaw will get you hurt in that tree.
please; i mean not to be offensive but if your an amature seek a pro to show you the emementry basics.

Last edited:
Now that i see pic it looks too easy. It almost appears it could be notched and jumped over fence. Why would you even consider using a pole saw? Either climb just above canopy area set block and bull rope and tag line. That tree is cake what is your experience level? A polesaw will get you hurt in that tree.
please; i mean not to be offensive but if your an amature seek a pro to show you the emementry basics.

I will be the first to say I am not a pro. I have about 1 year of climbing experience. I worked for a company for 2 years, but moved on to other things. I always had someone to help me through things. It has been about 4 years now, and I just got back into it about a month ago. I know most of the basics, but don't know too many tricks. Since moving to Virginia, I have tried to get hired on, but have had no luck. Currently, we could use the money, so I have been working on my own (and have managed to get at least 2 jobs a week). I am confident enough to know my limitations and turn down work.

On second look this tree does seem much easier than I thought it was going to be. I do not want to spur into the tree because it has been a long time and I am not comfortable with starting here. I would like to rope in and out. There seem to be plenty of tie in points. Thanks

Latest posts

Back