Awkward piece to remove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be the first to say I am not a pro. I have about 1 year of climbing experience. I worked for a company for 2 years, but moved on to other things. I always had someone to help me through things. It has been about 4 years now, and I just got back into it about a month ago. I know most of the basics, but don't know too many tricks. Since moving to Virginia, I have tried to get hired on, but have had no luck. Currently, we could use the money, so I have been working on my own (and have managed to get at least 2 jobs a week). I am confident enough to know my limitations and turn down work.

On second look this tree does seem much easier than I thought it was going to be. I do not want to spur into the tree because it has been a long time and I am not comfortable with starting here. I would like to rope in and out. There seem to be plenty of tie in points. Thanks

Grif
i did not mean to sound blunt but half knowledge will get you killed if i were limited in my skills
i would be weary of doing work for hire.
i have to ask do you have insurance? I would suggest subbing the work with a reputable yet small service to obtain more experience!
yes you wont make as much but you might live long enough to get a better understanding of rigging and such.
please do not use a polesaw the limbs will fall toward you if roped and on you if not roped. Anyway if
i was unsure i would get a pro to help.

Grif also go buy the tree climbers companion, its good info for beginning climbers and seasoned vets. The art and science of practical rigging would help too. Do that first to set up knowledge before you attempt something which could kill you.
i am really trying to help you!

Grif
i did not mean to sound blunt but half knowledge will get you killed if i were limited in my skills
i would be weary of doing work for hire.
i have to ask do you have insurance? I would suggest subbing the work with a reputable yet small service to obtain more experience!
yes you wont make as much but you might live long enough to get a better understanding of rigging and such.
please do not use a polesaw the limbs will fall toward you if roped and on you if not roped. Anyway if
i was unsure i would get a pro to help.

I am aware of the consequences and my skill level. This is why I am looking for a bit of help/advice. I am still not sure if I will move forward with this particular job, but appreciate your looking out. I am not looking to be "that guy" who makes everyone look bad. Thanks again

I am aware of the consequences and my skill level. This is why I am looking for a bit of help/advice. I am still not sure if I will move forward with this particular job, but appreciate your looking out. I am not looking to be "that guy" who makes everyone look bad. Thanks again

Odds are, I won't take this job. It is just one of those jobs that I can't stop thinking about because I am pretty sure I could do it. However, as we all know, pretty sure can get you pretty hurt. I will probably stick to jobs I am 100% sure about. Thanks for opening my eyes.

Also, what is the best approach for subbing a job? Should I tell them what I bid it at or tell them what I will pay them? Thanks again.

Odds are, I won't take this job. It is just one of those jobs that I can't stop thinking about because I am pretty sure I could do it. However, as we all know, pretty sure can get you pretty hurt. I will probably stick to jobs I am 100% sure about. Thanks for opening my eyes.

Also, what is the best approach for subbing a job? Should I tell them what I bid it at or tell them what I will pay them? Thanks again.

i dont think i would tell them what you will pay lol. Are you taking it down?

i would shoot for half if you are insured if not just ask what they will get it down for!
i myself if it were close would put it on the ground for no more than 450 and probably 300 and insure my part!
I would nomally cut and haul a medium tree like that for no more than 800 and probably as easy as it seems 650!

i don't know if you left wiggle room in your bid?

Griff i would have that tree on the ground in under 1hour with my bucket or two hours climbing. Please buy the tree climbers companion it will help you!

Griff i would have that tree on the ground in under 1hour with my bucket or two hours climbing. Please buy the tree climbers companion it will help you!

I have that book and it has been helpful. Currently, my biggest setback is not having the senior person to let me know if things are being done properly. It stinks because I know I could get that tree down, but have no assistance in the event that something goes wrong. That is what I have to constantly be thinking about.

I have that book and it has been helpful. Currently, my biggest setback is not having the senior person to let me know if things are being done properly. It stinks because I know I could get that tree down, but have no assistance in the event that something goes wrong. That is what I have to constantly be thinking about.

Hopefully someone from your area will chime in and maybe help you. I don't have enough time and fuel lol. Im glad u have that book but do understand that no book is a substitute for a seasoned pro on a job site. Try to find someone who will put it down or even assist you in you doing it! I see a niche here but the liability might erase any profit.

Btw you could also rent a lift or skytrack if you bid enough to cover the overhead!

Last edited:
Hopefully someone from your area will chime in and maybe help you. I don't have enough time and fuel lol. Im glad u have that book but do understand that no book is a substitute for a seasoned pro on a job site. Try to find someone who will put it down or even assist you in you doing it! I see a niche here but the liability might erase any profit.

Btw you could also rent a lift or skytrack if you bid enough to cover the overhead!

It would be great to have someone in the area to help out on jobs. That is the main problem--there is nobody to help in the event that help is needed. I have turned down a couple of jobs because of this--mainly removals. The prunings aren't that big of a deal, but when large chunks start falling, I am having to side with caution. It is hard to pass up that voice telling me that we need the money though:msp_thumbup:

It would be great to have someone in the area to help out on jobs. That is the main problem--there is nobody to help in the event that help is needed. I have turned down a couple of jobs because of this--mainly removals. The prunings aren't that big of a deal, but when large chunks start falling, I am having to side with caution. It is hard to pass up that voice telling me that we need the money though:msp_thumbup:

If anyone knows anyone in the Winchester VA area that would be willing to help out, send them my way. I would like to do the climbing. They would just be there helping out. I would be willing to share the profits as well.

I have to agree with rope on this one, POLE SAW IS A BAD IDEA. you are never going to get a good angle on vertical stem from underneath with a polesaw and your cuts will be unreliable. You may end up with the top folding over on top of you. Good luck on sorting it out.

I have to agree with rope on this one, POLE SAW IS A BAD IDEA. you are never going to get a good angle on vertical stem from underneath with a polesaw and your cuts will be unreliable. You may end up with the top folding over on top of you. Good luck on sorting it out.

Yeah I would either speed line it small,or rope it to spar if i were going to insist on roping lol. Truthis is from what i see i would take two sections of fence out and drop the damn thing then nail it back after im done lol:cheers:

ps: not intended as advice tree may not be able to be felled with fence sections down. It is based off only what i see or rather don't see.I however do it quite often it only takes a crowbar,hammer and nails and usually twenty minutes down and back up. Then a rope set high and anchored and pulled to start the fall! Wedge for backup and the rest is clean-up:)

Last edited:
where in Virginia?

Ill be coming through on 81 Friday if you want me get it down.

Ill be coming through on 81 Friday if you want me get it down.

Yes, that would be awesome! How much would you want for it? I didn't bid it for too much as it is just the one branch. Also, I kept it low because I am trying to get more work out of that area.

Fishercat

There is a good dude for you to learn a little from, just make sure you have some Arizona Sweet Tea when he gets done

Last edited:
you guys are too much!

Been down here showing these southerners how it's done. They're still trying to catch up or figure out what hit them. :hmm3grin2orange:

Back