My new crummy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who has the crutches in the pic above?

Well, it does look like the car was ill and needed some support, doesn't it?

Actually the crutches belong to Aleksandr Nikolayevits himself. Bad knees, you see.

Aleksandr Nikolayevits fixed the shock absorbers, a front wheel bearing and the anti-roll bar. I found the needed spare parts in the village store. Yes, they sell car parts in groceries and liquor stores as well - the roads down there literally eat the vehicles. No car services couldn't be found in the village, so they phoned Aleksandr Nikolayevits from the store to ask him if he wanted to help a gentleman who speaks Russian in a funny way. From the store I picked up a young gentleman from Tadzhikistan named Borya (you can see his neck in the picture), he knew the way to A.N.'s house. Borya worked for Sergey - the rich man of the village - building the log houses. Sergey gave me a lecture for driving the shabby car, it's bad for the business, he said. He had a brand new Pajero worth 70 000 USD. I was glad to tell him what Pajero means in Spanish.

When I saw Aleksandr Nikolaevits swinging on his crouches yelling: "OH, THERE IS THE ####NG FOREIGNER! WELL, AT LEAST THE ####### CAR IS FAMILIAR TO ME!" I thought it's going to be a looong day. But it all went well. A.N. made his diagnose, mostly by feeling and hearing (his eyes weren't too good either), and gave orders spiced with the most colourful cussing I've ever heard. Borya and I made the tinkering. A.N. wanted to have 250 rubles (10 USD) and 2 bottles of vodka for the work. As I gave him the bottles I was curios why 2 bottles and I said: "You have 2 knees, right?". He replied: "Yes, I have 2 knees, and I also have a neighbor."

Oh, and how they drank, Aleksandr Nikolaevits and his neighbor! I stopped by after a test drive to tell everything is OK with the car. Well, the old men did not want to hear anything about the ##### car, but they wanted to know if a Finlander knows how to fight, so I had to escape mighty fast. And later that night I was walking around the village, I got lost, no streetlights there, it was dark like in the cave, but singing and yelling coming from the A.N.'s house gave me the clue where I was.

Finally I had a change to slip over the border and get me a new clutch for the crummy. It did cost 1000 rubles (35 USD), so the deal left me coins for a 24-pack of beer as well. I called a pard over for Sunday, the plan is to spend some quality time fixing beers and hiding clutch under the hood. Or was it other way round?

Finally I had a change to slip over the border and get me a new clutch for the crummy. It did cost 1000 rubles (35 USD), so the deal left me coins for a 24-pack of beer as well. I called a pard over for Sunday, the plan is to spend some quality time fixing beers and hiding clutch under the hood. Or was it other way round?

Nope, you said it right!

Now it's crummied. In the naming ceremony the vehicle received name "Ruskie Räntäkuu" (that's "Red October" in Carelian language).

IMG_4223.JPG

IMG_4224.JPG

I don't know if it's the colour, but horseflies just love to take some riding on it too! Driver may not be so glad about it, but they seem to be really enjoying themselves.

[video=youtube;9rN2QGeJRV0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rN2QGeJRV0[/video]

I don't like the flies. Maybe your crummy will be recalled because of the fly problem ;)

They would drive me mad. Are they bad in the mornings too? There were some years when we would have to quit cruising timber early because the day warmed up and the flies got bad. It was impossible for us to hold a clinometer still while being eaten up by the little flies. :msp_ohmy:

Maybe I should name the crummy "The Lord of the Flies"?

Horseflies wake up 7-8 in the morning. They come in rows: first mosquitos, black flies, horseflies. And in the afternoon the worst of them all: The biting midgets. It doesn't get extremely hot up here, 25-30 C's (77-86 F), but still I try to start early in summer, 3-4 in the morning.. Well, at least we get rid off the horseflies quite soon, St Jacob's day 25rd of July. The elders say Jacob puts the horseflies into a bag and cooks soup out of them. And he really does!

Cruising and other paperwork is quite painful during the insect season. I use nets and hats and gloves and works while doing it. My Laplander relatives (yes, I'm a mongrel too) have their way to deal with the bugs. They seem to have immunity. People think it's witchcraft or something, but I tell you a little secret: When the buggers show up, they down booze enough to make them totally numb and lay down on the ground naked for few hours so that the different species of bloodsuckers have a change to get a good bite. They say the insects won't bother you after the treatment.

Roma: I do a lot of driving on gravel. A couple of headlights and maybe a windshield every year it takes. Too bad a guard for the windshield isn't legal.

Last edited:
Now it's crummied. In the naming ceremony the vehicle received name "Ruskie Räntäkuu" (that's "Red October" in Carelian language).

IMG_4223.JPG

IMG_4224.JPG

I don't know if it's the colour, but horseflies just love to take some riding on it too! Driver may not be so glad about it, but they seem to be really enjoying themselves.

[video=youtube;9rN2QGeJRV0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rN2QGeJRV0[/video]

Is that a commie car? Zzazzizzuguzz. .

Good color, welcome to the red truck club.

Trucks are supposed to be red. Any other color just makes me scratch my head, sort of like seeing a pickup without a dog in it, just ain't right. :msp_biggrin:

(Planning to buy a used 3/4 ton next year...watch me end up stuck with gray...)

Trucks are supposed to be red. Any other color just makes me scratch my head, sort of like seeing a pickup without a dog in it, just ain't right. :msp_biggrin:

(Planning to buy a used 3/4 ton next year...watch me end up stuck with gray...)

I hear you. Red with freckles. That's up on my alley.

Coast Guard sometimes the Army run 2 chinooks over here almost every day.

Fly boys from Whidby Island fly over here alot on the way to Boardman. Guy yesterday must have been new. Low, fast & AFTERBURNERS. They bomb the bridge. Sometines they see how close they can get to my chimney.

When they are really good they crash into each other by the 97 bridge like 2 did about 3 yr ago.

That car 2 stroke? That would help with the flies.

I'd show a picture of my crummy but I hauled the body in for scrap last summer & made the chassis a 5th wheel horse drawn wagon. 63 C30 chevy van. Yellow.
Someone had dropped a tree on it before I bought it.

It wasn't YELLOW like yours, Randy.

Call me a puzzzy. If I had those things flying around me while cutting all day, I would give up cutting wood and freeze.:hmm3grin2orange:

Call me a puzzzy. If I had those things flying around me while cutting all day, I would give up cutting wood and freeze.:hmm3grin2orange:

They train around here and once a day, they scream up and over the Iron Cr. drainage. The fallers say sometimes they find themselves wondering what the heck is going on.

The Navy was not happy when they had to divert while helicopter logging was going on in that area. There is more helicopter work to be done there. The Navy can be annoyingly persistant with the question of "How much longer?" It is kind of like kids on a long car trip saying, "Are we there yet?" There were lots of phone messages from our people who talk with their people.

We get used to it if fly through about the same time every day. Usually from 11AM to 1PM.

Ohno! Does this mean I have to move to Montana? It looks much too hard to gather firewood there!:)

It's ok Patti, I'll help you get firewood if you let me fall em and if I get to sit in the seat of the cat every once in a while and make diesel engine noises while slamming on the levers and petals, and also talking to a fellow imaginary cat skinner on the walkie talkie

It's ok Patti, I'll help you get firewood if you let me fall em and if I get to sit in the seat of the cat every once in a while and make diesel engine noises while slamming on the levers and petals, and also talking to a fellow imaginary cat skinner on the walkie talkie

No offense, but you would break the back of my Grapple Cat! He is too good of a mouser for that. Here is a picture of the Grapple Cat. :laugh:
209679d1322923363-glacier-recediing-augmentation0001_10-jpg

And, like doesn't it get cold there? Like real cold?
View attachment 209679

Back