036PRO with 28" bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay-D

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been helping out doing some cleanup work after the tornado in Monson Mass. Some of the tree damage is up to about 36" in diameter. I decided get get a longer bar for the 036PRO. I picked up a 28" bar with Stihl RSLFK full skip chain. How well is this going to cut. The literature for the saw says it can handle a 28"bar. View attachment 189170
I do know that I need to getsome double bevel files for sharpening and it will take some patience.

Jay

P.S. I get learned how to make a picture appear a post and they changed it.

189170d1309565886-036pro-28in-bar-jpg

Last edited:
Most dealers around these parts will tell you 20" MAX for the 036. It will pull 28" but will not be ideal. 25" bar is pushing it in eastern hardwood.

It depends of your cutting softwoods or hardwoods. If your cutting hardwood, pull up a stool, it's going to take some time. I've been in situations where I didn't throw on one of the big saws and have had to use the 361 with a 25" bar. It'll get the job done, just a heck of a lot slower. Just don't expect it to have a run away and take your time. It's not something I'd want to do very often. You can always use a round file on your chain if your not familiar with filing square ground chain.

I have the Stihl catalog from when I purchased the saw in 98. It listed 16" to 28". I thought I was being kind by aleast getting a full skip. Not a lot I will be cutting, but it's longer than my 20". Someday, hopefully I can come across a deal on an 066 and use this bar on it.

You can always use a round file on your chain if your not familiar with filing square ground chain.

I hand file all of my chains. Every 6 or 7 sharpenings, I pull out the dial calipers to find the shortest link to true up the chain. I'm kinda looking forward to try and sharpen a square ground chain. Just need to try and find someone local to sell single files before buying online.

Saw

Round ground the chain. Let the saw feed it self, do not force it to cut, if it is getting harder to cut stop and touch up the chain.

I see your point. I am a weekend warrior. I give it my best and hope I can come across a cheap 066. This place is addictive. I need more saws!

Not Ideal, but keep the chain sharp, take your time and you will be surpried how well it will do!!!

Mike

:agree2: Use a light touch and you should be okay. Based on personal experience I think a 25" is slightly beyond ideal for the 036Pro; but you got it so use it. Learn where the tip is and you'll be surprised how comfortable a long bar can be for cutting small stuff on the ground with the top side of the bar; but it can be a real pain bucking in close quarters. When you get the coins move up the Stihl ladder or go old school and buy a 82cc MAC. Ron

I have the Stihl catalog from when I purchased the saw in 98. It listed 16" to 28". I thought I was being kind by aleast getting a full skip. Not a lot I will be cutting, but it's longer than my 20". Someday, hopefully I can come across a deal on an 066 and use this bar on it.

Don't pay much heed to the nay sayers Jay, If i can run an 034 with full comp rsc on a 25 inch bar, you will have no probs running skip on a 28 inch bar with that 036!

And That is in aussie hardwoods like redgum, mountain ash, ironbark etc.

An 066 will be much more suitable for that bar! ;)

I know the saw will pull that bar but I would be worried about the oiler. Mine does a good job oiling a 20" bar but I don't know how well it would with a 28" bar. Yes a 066 would be ideal for that bar but if he's in soft wood, I think it would pull it just fine. Let the saw do the cutting and take your time. Maybe get a squirt can of oil and apply manually if needed.

20" bar will cut 40" tree if needed.

I agree, keep the 20" bar on and cut from both sides. You and your saw will be happier. You will have to cut from both sides with the 28" bar on those 36" trees anyway, so you might as well just run the 20" bar.

Last edited:
With full skip, you're probably doing alright. My main concern is the oiler keeping up...

Yep,

and I've put over 2 ton of stone on my 3/4 ton truck at times.

It did the job, but have to think it put undue stress on some components.

Back