opening a chainsaw restoration business thoughts good or bad

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atticus409

Reaction score
Hello I am a newbie to this site I wanting to know if A chainsaw restoration business be profitable I know alot of people like to do this themselves I run a sucessful chainsaw repair business and used saw sales I have 17 years restoring saws And I am very passionate about it I would like thoughts what you would think if it would be profitable with a website and advertising Thanks

Last edited:
Hi Show some photos of your work, Good workmanship speaks for itself,

Feel free to post photos on here,
The veiwers here are very honest people and will help you in the right direction,
Follow your dreams

Hate to burst your dream, but most saws are a labor of love compared to profit.

Even on the ones I got killer deals on, could never get out of 'em what I got in 'em. (unless you don't count your time)

It sounds like you're in a business with a customer base from which you could get a feel for the market. Just off the cuff, the saw-collecting community strikes me as a group that by and large is handy enough to restore their own stuff rather than farming it out. It might be something you could make work as long as you didn't invest a large amount of money doing it. The margins would be pretty tight in any case.

If you love to work on saws and don't mind making little to no money. Then this is your gig. But don't expect to profit from it. Plus where you are located will have a big impact on how much business you get. I highly doubt a lot of people will ship a saw to be restored for premium prices. This website, and a couple of others are a very small portion of the chainsaw collecting in this world. This site is mixed with collectors, geeks, freaks, and guys that use their saws to make a living. We all love saws... but I wouldn't pay to have one restored. I'm sure there aren't many others on here that would either.

Even where I am at up here in the PNW... I doubt a "chainsaw restoration" business would profit. There are lots of big old cool dinosaur monster saws around here. But nobody wants them restored. There have been a couple of cats over the years that have gave it a shot. But they all eventually tossed in the towel. Just no profit in it.

Gary

If you love to work on saws and don't mind making little to no money. Then this is your gig. But don't expect to profit from it. Plus where you are located will have a big impact on how much business you get. I highly doubt a lot of people will ship a saw to be restored for premium prices. This website, and a couple of others are a very small portion of the chainsaw collecting in this world. This site is mixed with collectors, geeks, freaks, and guys that use their saws to make a living. We all love saws... but I wouldn't pay to have one restored. I'm sure there aren't many others on here that would either.

Even where I am at up here in the PNW... I doubt a "chainsaw restoration" business would profit. There are lots of big old cool dinosaur monster saws around here. But nobody wants them restored. There have been a couple of cats over the years that have gave it a shot. But they all eventually tossed in the towel. Just no profit in it.

Gary

Well said, Gary.

A lot of the collectors do their own restorations. It's just part of the whole hands-on thing for them.

Those of us who make our living with saws aren't real big on how they look. How they run is more important.

The saw geeks, and "saw geeks" isn't a bad thing, tend to baby and pamper their saws...right down to waxing them after use. From the pictures they post I doubt if they'll be needing restoration any time soon. Some of them have ten year old saws that look better than the one I bought a month ago.

Good luck with your idea but I don't see it being any kind of profitable or dependable thing.

Go for it. I drive a Benz and my wife is driving a BMW, we both hit the spa daily when I am not working on saws, our servants have been a huge help as well around the house and garden. My CNC machinery is self maintained as is my shop. Sure glad I started this side biz.

(In real life) alarm, 2:45 a.m., I awake," wow, what a dream...sure wish I could...Ah crap, I will just get up and go to work".

Sorry bud, just saying.

Might work to be a sales/repair shop but I doubt that just a repair shop would work. Even the small engines shops around here rely mostly on business from warranty work from Lowes, Menards, Ace Hardware ect. If you can work on anything with a small engine there might be some money to be made depending on the market .

Chainsaw Restoration

Your looking at this the wrong way! While most will do their own saw work---what they do not have access to is restoration parts---paint, power coating, stencils and decals. If you have done the research and had Partner Yellow paint in stock, I would buy it, same with decals. Sure, I can have it matched up, but I live in a small town and I would have to travel at least a 100 miles before I could even start to locate someone that can do this for me--I would also have to take a day off from work.

Other thoughts---machine work to save parts that just can't be found, new front handle covering and power coating. Most back yard shops will not have the type of tools needed for this in depth work and would pay to have someone that knows saws and what the finshed product will need to preform like it should. I'm sure with a little more thought, you will come up with other items and services others could use in restoring their saw.

I think by know, everybody who is into saw's has found this site, and in that case there is your'e restoration, either do it youre'self with the step by step instruction stuff. Or you could trade service's with someone here for it im sure. The old barter system. And this site has guy's from all walk's that cover alot of brand's, and model's. Just a bigger base. That's what happened with me anyway. Eccenric is trying to revive a 750 homelite. We bartere'd for a sp-81. Met him here, great guy, and know's those saw's I don't. But I could help a guy if it was a husky or Stihl. I would do something like that on this site if I were you, and barter for equall value. But not for a living. Norm............:msp_thumbup:

Back