which air filter for Stihl 084?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are there part numbers on the filter etc. I have a 084 that the filter doesn't work all that well. I'd like to convert it to the best possible filter.

In my opinion, yes, you should take that filter. I use it in my saw, much better than the original filter, and you can put you different Stihl filters in it.

Hmm. How can I tell if its going to fit or not? I don't want to spend the $$ on it if I'm going to have to return it. Is there a way to measure part of the air filter space or something?
A picture would help.

Or you can look up the part #'s on the IPL.

Frank, you'll need a new filter base, a new cover, a maybe a few other parts to make the conversion. These parts may not be easy to find or cheap.

Your saw is set up with HD configuration. You have one of the old style oiled HD filters there.
3 options;
-stick with what you have (can't comment how that filter compares to the more modern (non-oiled) ones though as I have never used one).
-0000 120 1654, "HD1" filter.
-0000 140 4402, HD2 filter, (same material as the MS261 filter and is now the recommended replacement for -1654 filters)

Your filter has a metal bottom and hence uses a sealing gasket against the filter base. You will need to remove it if installing either of the newer filters.

Back