Truck Bed Side Rails

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha Maybe the colors will. :)

The beast is being a pain in the side today, had a brake line go, :( I was only rolling along so no major problems as far as stopping.
So off to the store tomorrow morning for some brake line, (the line from the master cylinder to the front brakes block was the only line that has not been replaced), which considering it is the easiest to do you would have thought you would just redo it while you were doing the other ones but oh well...

Then it needs new mufflers, shocks and has an exhaust manifold leak (that one i am not sure I want to tackle), but once i get those couple things done I can look at side rails, and stop playing mechanic and actually go cut some wood. :)

I am not sure what trans it has, I would think it is the E4OD, but the trans has been replaced, as well as the rear axle. The axle was swapped out with a 1 ton axle. I can't wait to get the bed full and see what it does to the springs and how it handles. :) hahaha

Last edited:
Used Trucks...

... tend to always have bugs that need to be fixed. You might want to have a complete inspection done by a good mechanic that knows Fords inside and out. Usually, it's worth the time and money. If you got a good buy on it, consider giving much of the discount to the mechanic.

A stitch in time saves nine. This truck looks to be cosmetically in good shape. You seem to be a good do-it-yourselfer, so keep your chin up and bite the bullet on the parts. They tend to be expensive. Running well, a Ford F-250 is a brute and will give you years of service.

yep, when they say its ford tough they aren't lying.. if the manifold has gotten hot enough to pop the head off the bolt to create the leak,you may want to check into a new catalytic converter...
it will haul anything you want... nice ride...:clap:

You will have to get used to climbing up into the truck, especially to remove logs from the center of the bed. .

nuh uh....fell onto this by accident...made a rod,out of the center rod of a farm hydrant..7/16,,and harder then........but cutable..get a piece, approx 6 foot long..[could use 1/2 rebar also..3/8 will flex!!] cut a piece 6 in long off,,and grind the end burrs. take the longer piece,and grind one end to a dull point. find the universal fit blue wrench[torch], and make a 5 in bend on the pointed end at just over 90 degrees.. now take the short chunk,,and weld it on the other end,,at 90 deg to the bent piece..its now the handle,,,, the one i made at first,,was shorter,,to use to turn logs in the furnace the way i wanted them...........carried it outside one day,,and tried it to pull logs out of the truck bed..worked great!!!! make varying lengths, if need be................beats climbing into the bed all to holler....................

i agree about too high of rails... i put some monster racks on mine this winter and spread the bed...lol, now i have a tail gate that sets in the barn...
View attachment 189063
View attachment 189064

i only made them half racks but it still spread it out....:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

nawww,, you just now,,have "wings" on the back!!!! thats what happened to any old farm truck,,the backs would break,,and the
"wings" would flap in the breeze............

Haha Maybe the colors will. :)

The beast is being a pain in the side today, had a brake line go, :( I was only rolling along so no major problems as far as stopping.
So off to the store tomorrow morning for some brake line, (the line from the master cylinder to the front brakes block was the only line that has not been replaced), which considering it is the easiest to do you would have thought you would just redo it while you were doing the other ones but oh well...

Then it needs new mufflers, shocks and has an exhaust manifold leak (that one i am not sure I want to tackle), but once i get those couple things done I can look at side rails, and stop playing mechanic and actually go cut some wood. :)

I am not sure what trans it has, I would think it is the E4OD, but the trans has been replaced, as well as the rear axle. The axle was swapped out with a 1 ton axle. I can't wait to get the bed full and see what it does to the springs and how it handles. :) hahaha

not ALL 351's had e4od's behind them.. get the biggest cooler you can on there, for the trans....just one heavy load,,on a hot day,,could smoke the trans....

olyman -- I will have to go under and see what it has, would it be stamped on the trans somewhere? Also the trans cooler would be just another raditor so to speak right or?

I was debating if i wanted to put a trans temp gauge on it or not. I was looking at some other websites on how to do it. haha There are other more pressing things right now.

The shocks have been ordered. Then it is time for new mufflers. I am thinking i am going to put flowmaster 40's on it. I should just be able to cut the old mufflers off and weld the new ones in. I think at least. :) I still need to figure out what size exhaust pipes it has.

Then after that is done I am going to start working on building a headache rack for it. :)

olyman -- I will have to go under and see what it has, would it be stamped on the trans somewhere? Also the trans cooler would be just another raditor so to speak right or?

I was debating if i wanted to put a trans temp gauge on it or not. I was looking at some other websites on how to do it. haha There are other more pressing things right now.

The shocks have been ordered. Then it is time for new mufflers. I am thinking i am going to put flowmaster 40's on it. I should just be able to cut the old mufflers off and weld the new ones in. I think at least. :) I still need to figure out what size exhaust pipes it has.

Then after that is done I am going to start working on building a headache rack for it. :)

get your vin,,and call,or go to the Ford dealer...

yes... its similar to a radiator.
my 250 has coolers on everything, power steering, trans, oil, all three coolers look similar but are located different places.:dizzy:

Hey trailmaker What brand is that head rack/side rail combo? I want one!

The brand is Rack-It inc. It's turned out to be really handy. It also comes with a crossbar that mounts to the side rails, as shown in the picture.

IMG_1252.jpg

Trailmaker-

What kind of box is that you have in the bed??? Do you know the dimensions? I just picked up a little Toyota pickup to commute in (my fill size chevy was killing me in fuel) and wanted to throw a little box since its a single cab. Theres a ton of places I can stop and cut firewood on the way home, was gonna do a headache rack and a little box. But don't want one over the rails because it would interfere with the livestock rack when I have its on....

8600 for the gvw

Just got the shocks replaced the other day, it drives a whole lot better, all four were shot. Next get the mufflers replaced, then it will be good to go,

At that point i will start looking at sides and a headache rack. Prob going to build the headache rack myself.

Trailmaker-

What kind of box is that you have in the bed??? Do you know the dimensions? I just picked up a little Toyota pickup to commute in (my fill size chevy was killing me in fuel) and wanted to throw a little box since its a single cab. Theres a ton of places I can stop and cut firewood on the way home, was gonna do a headache rack and a little box. But don't want one over the rails because it would interfere with the livestock rack when I have its on....
That's actually a fuel transfer tank without the pump in it.

Back