Best way to kill a tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Copper nails do not kill trees, it's an old wives tale

28032011165.jpg

Copper nails do not kill trees! If this were true, then the thousands of lightning protection systems installed in trees would be killing the trees. I have installed numerous systems without killing one tree.

If I were to take any type of nail and girdle the trunk with them, its possible the resulting damage could kill the tree. One copper nail killed the tree? BS.

Copper nails do not kill trees! If this were true, then the thousands of lightning protection systems installed in trees would be killing the trees. I have installed numerous systems without killing one tree.

If I were to take any type of nail and girdle the trunk with them, its possible the resulting damage could kill the tree. One copper nail killed the tree? BS.

Ahh, the voice of reason.

listen your wrong flat out , they damage in numbers oxidize and poison the tree they need to be installed at a slight angle down towards the roots about on inch apart they will also destroy the growth cells , and if you wanna research before opening your mouth thats a accepted practice here as well .... And its not a wives tale its a wise tale hopefully you already know that ....

Treeclimber101- I am unaware of research that indicates a copper nail will kill a tree. If you have some studies that demonstrate a copper nail will kill a tree, I would be interested in reading them. I had trouble understanding your post. What exactly are you talking about?

Treeclimber101- I am unaware of research that indicates a copper nail will kill a tree. If you have some studies that demonstrate a copper nail will kill a tree, I would be interested in reading them. I had trouble understanding your post. What exactly are you talking about?

Copper nails are moderately phytotoxic and can result in localised narcosis of parenchyma. On the other hand, copper is readily isolated and not translocated or systemic in a tree. I guess if you nailed enough copper nails in circumferentially and close enough to each other in a species of tree that had abundant parenchyma you could cause tree death. However, as has been pointed out above, the occasional copper nail used in lightning protection is seldom a problem.

i don't agree to killing a tree without a good reason especially if its not yours,
but for anybody who need to get ready of a tree for a reason, i have a good way...
drill a hole on the tree and on the root if you can and put inside a good dose of pure herbicide without mix it with water....the tree is done!
also work gasoline and salt.
copper nail???? won't work.

i don't agree to killing a tree without a good reason especially if its not yours,
but for anybody who need to get ready of a tree for a reason, i have a good way...
drill a hole on the tree and on the root if you can and put inside a good dose of pure herbicide without mix it with water....the tree is done!
also work gasoline and salt.
copper nail???? won't work.

So, you are saying to create a tree hazard requiring removal? Why?
The best way is a base cut, not create a problem at some one else expense.
Jeff

So, you are saying to create a tree hazard requiring removal? Why?
The best way is a base cut, not create a problem at some one else expense.
Jeff

no im not saying that to create a tree hazard removal, im not that kinda of person, and i never did anything like that, in the region im living there's many farm, wine fields, and acres of nut-tree and chestnut tree, so i heard it from an old italian farmer, you know, farmer that fights for the land and stuff like that, since the dude ask whats the best way to kill a tree(except chainsaw)... of course i agree with you the best way to kill a tree its a chainsaw.

no im not saying that to create a tree hazard removal, im not that kinda of person, and i never did anything like that, in the region im living there's many farm, wine fields, and acres of nut-tree and chestnut tree, so i heard it from an old italian farmer, you know, farmer that fights for the land and stuff like that, since the dude ask whats the best way to kill a tree(except chainsaw)... of course i agree with you the best way to kill a tree its a chainsaw.

Hi and welcome to AS.
Jeff :cheers:

I have heard that ringing the base with a saw will kill a tree. Haven't tried this on my property nor any neighbors.:confused::dizzy:

That method works well for dispatching Alanthius or "tree of heaven". On federal property, the technique is preferred as it creates standing dead habitat for forest critters.

Copper nails are moderately phytotoxic and can result in localised narcosis of parenchyma. On the other hand, copper is readily isolated and not translocated or systemic in a tree. I guess if you nailed enough copper nails in circumferentially and close enough to each other in a species of tree that had abundant parenchyma you could cause tree death. However, as has been pointed out above, the occasional copper nail used in lightning protection is seldom a problem.

Localized :hmm3grin2orange:

many of the aquatic herbicides are compounds of quarternary copper (+4 valence), the effectiveness might be related to what chemicals are available to react with the copper, also I would think you would want to leave some of it exposed

copper nails did not work on a willful attempt by other on a gum tree down here. When need arise, I use various methods of drilling or just saw bar plunge adding various brews as different trees respond in different chemicals in ways.

more often my ways work thou sometime a stubborn tree will push on regardless of my efforts got to admire that

Latest posts

Back