Felling Techniques

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use this method often

cut-down-tree-0509-lg.jpg

Wedges and offsiders..

I only use the aluminium wedges, don't mess about with the slippery plastic ones and re your wife, she'll be safe well away from the job, you won't be able to hear her with your saw going and she's just another thing to keep an eye on IMO.

You can look up at the tree, or look down at the back cut as you make it, when the back cut starts to open then its on its way down.

The pic shows the faller close to the tree with it quite vertical and his back to it. Watch it till you're certain its going in the intended direction, and only then move safely to the exit, that prepared exit path is usually 45 deg from the stump and not downhill from where the tree will land.

Take your time and watch how deep the back cut is, and has been prev said, never cut through the hinge wood !!!

If you have any doubt where the tree might go then get a cable or heavy rope well up it and weight it up with your Ute or tractor etc, then put the cuts in.

Getting an experienced faller or doing a course is a good idea too.

Last edited:
i leave the saw if its pinched and i need to help pull, if it catches in the 'kerf' ill give it a tug or 2 b4 i abandon it. $1300 chainsaw is not worth my life nor do get paid enough to risk my self to save it.

Except when im climbing i try to get it back cause 1 its my personal saw and the yank on the saddle sucks and watching the saw fall with the log is nice either.

Success!

Went after the big boy this weekend! 26" diameter, 90 ft tall! Clean fall. Thanks to all for the great advice! And no I don't recommend just anybody try this. I did my homework thoroughly before even attempting any cutting at all.

this video is pretty good, the more open your notch is pretty good
Product Demo Videos ECHO Chain Saw Carving Video How To | ECHO USA
there are some others
you need to adjust for natural lean and figure where the top will land
there are plunge cut techniques and wedge use, i prefer to put ropes in the top or near the top for pulling, the higher you get it the more leverage you have, my wedges i use mostly for keeping cuts open so my saw doesnt bind
be sure to leave a hinge, this will control the tree as it falls, the more open your notch is the long your hinge will hold, when your notch closes your hinge will break, sometimes this is good, sometimes this is not, depending where you want you butt to end up
beware using machines to pull on ropes, you dont want to break your rope
and make good knots, a good knot needs to do two things, it needs to hold, and it needs to come out when youre done with it
and _never_ cut from a ladder, if you need to cut limbs in the air use the right tools or hire a professional
most companies bid tree work based on time involved, putting trees on the ground and leaving the mess for you to deal with means less equipment on the site and less guys to do it so you can get some pretty good deals
one more note
you cant make a good notch with a dull saw

That Echo video is crap! It's going to mislead someone into thinking you point to where you want the tree to fall, and it will magically happen with the notch and backcut.

Back