anyone else quit cutting due to the heat??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive been doing alot of splitting lately. My splitter is shaded after about 2:30 so usully around 3 I go out and split till around 6. Im almost caught up splitting wood I had cut for this fall. In the last week a few cords of smaller maple came in though so I might break out the saw this afternoon. I try to stay inside durring the hottest days. I bring a gallon jug of water with me and drink most of it in 3 hours. Last weekend we had to take down a lighting damaged tree in my yard. When we were done it looked like someone sprayed us with a gardon hose. The Humidity Sucks!

I stopped this afternoon. Best bet is to work before 11 am during a heat wave. Then let a barmaid in a sexy outfit serve you a cold beer with your lunch and sign off. :biggrinbounce2:

Back in the day, Dad and his cutting partner, both in their 70s, would head out in the morning, cut and split a couple pickup loads, and head to the tavern for lunch, beer, and BS. It worked well for them, and I try to do the same when I can.

To the original question, I hate heat. I'll go jump in a lake if it's over 70, and it's hard to split wood underwater. I try not to whine too much when I'm out cutting in 0 or below temps in the winter. It's my choice, and I'd rather have to work to stay warm than sweat my butt off all day.

the first part of july I switched from dropping, bucking & stacking brush to splitting & stacking. (not hand splitting!) Even on a 110deg heat index day it wasn't too bad- just bring lots of water and take breaks. The key is to have everything close so your not walking around alot. The worst part was once you get soaked with sweat the bug sprays don't work and at certain times of the day the mosquitos will eat you alive! Need better bug juice I guess. I pray for lots of wind to keep the bugs off but of course it's been calm as all get out lately.

Last edited:
Well, after reading these replies, I guess I don't feel too bad about cutting way back on my firewood operation. I did get out early yesterday morning, and again this morning, to unload wood off of the trailer. Got a cord off yesterday and a rick unloaded today, and all of it stacked neatly. I decided I am going to try and work from 6:00AM till about 8:30AM each morning. I will see how that goes for a while.
Jeff

It's official, I'm a wimp. Or smart.

Was going to go cut up two big maples monday after work. Working 6-2 with most of that shooting guns. :D

Just looked at the forecasted heat index and said eff that. 105* next week.:laugh:

I don't stop cutting, but I just do it early in the day. Lots of water, and take a break as needed. There is shade in the woods, so don't cut it all down.. ;) Come afternoon I switch into splitting mode, again in the shade, and at a liesurely pace.

same here,,just go for as long as you feel comfortable,,then gatorade,,and house cool off..then back outside again..today,,was trimming the front yard trees...tommorrow,,,split the wood i cut up,,yesterday....would have had the cut and split done by now,,but have been redoing the outside of house,,and just got done,,,mostly.....................and have to get it done NOW,,so dry by flake weather,,,,,,

Ive been doing alot of splitting lately. My splitter is shaded after about 2:30 so usully around 3 I go out and split till around 6. Im almost caught up splitting wood I had cut for this fall. In the last week a few cords of smaller maple came in though so I might break out the saw this afternoon. I try to stay inside durring the hottest days. I bring a gallon jug of water with me and drink most of it in 3 hours. Last weekend we had to take down a lighting damaged tree in my yard. When we were done it looked like someone sprayed us with a gardon hose. The Humidity Sucks!

mine is in the shade,,about 1:30..................but its still HOT!!!

i don't usually cut in the summer. yesterday i was bored so i went to the dump and cut some wood. i sweated my dupa off and asked wtf was i doing here?

i gave up and went home with a few pieces of wood.

i was going to go fishing tonight, but, it's too hot even for that. besides, the creeks are low because we haven't had rain.

I'm done till it cools off ........cut some last week 96 degrees about 85% humidty, didn't take long to get a case of swamp balls . I couldn't get nothing done for stopping to drink water.

I do not mind cutting in hot weather as long as I have bug spray and lot's of water or Beer
But I try and stay one year ahead on my wood so I cut after hunting season Late Nov Early Dec until Jan, I rather cut in -25 than +25°C. But I just split two cords of Poplar last week in +26° Temps( did not have to cut the trees) Dam I don't like to sweat!!!

Well, after reading these replies, I guess I don't feel too bad about cutting way back on my firewood operation. I did get out early yesterday morning, and again this morning, to unload wood off of the trailer. Got a cord off yesterday and a rick unloaded today, and all of it stacked neatly. I decided I am going to try and work from 6:00AM till about 8:30AM each morning. I will see how that goes for a while.
Jeff

+1. That works for me also. Start at sunrise and quit early. There are lots of indoor things we can do also--like maintain the saws and sharpen the chains, axes, etc. Also, clean up the shop. :msp_thumbup:

On the way home from work I cut up a tank full {usually a pickup load} push it down the slope load it, back it up to the splitter, split & stack by this point I soaked to the bone, go in the house and fill a glass full of ice 1 part tequila 3 parts limeade works for me every time.

Last Saturday my MIL asked if I would come over and help the FIL clean up some leaners in their yard. They are getting a pool installed next week and wanted those taken care of before the pool arrived. We set out to it and within 15 mins I was sweating like crazy. Got done and pulled the brush to the back, took little over 90 mins. Took longer cuz he has a MS 260 with a tool less chain adjuster, that thing took a bit for my dumb azz to figure out, but got the job done til Wednesday when they found a few more to drop. Man its hard to figure how fast you start to sweat when running a saw. I always like to do my cutting in the fall and winter when you can always remove layers and stay comfortable.

Back