ms 260 pro / opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Join the club, those are great saws. I have an 026 MM and love it as well as two 044's with the dual port muffler. Now wait till you try a 066. For their respective size, they either are, or rank right up there with the worlds best saws.

I have a 024 with same muffler the 024 has 4 ports and the ms 260 has just one talk about a pee shooter!

I like the 026 a little better just because I never did end up liking flippy caps but they are my fav saw in that class by a large margin. The 346 is a fine saw with perhaps a touch more power (both muff modded) and better antivibe. The 26 is just built to stand more abuse IMHO. Also has other features which I prefer like large bar mount and inboard clutch.

It's a good saw until you run a good 346 or 261 The 026 is soo 20th century, lol.

Now we can't all be super cool port masters like you.. I do have to admit the 346 ports real well... I just usually do muff mods so the diff isn't quite so large with me.

I really dig mine. Its got a little grunt, built solid and runs very very well. Still have yet to try a 261 out however.

The 026/MS260 series of saws are good all around saws. Lightweight, reliable, good power and speed, great parts availabilty. The newer 026's and all the MS260's have a very restricted muffler, but they are about the easiest muffler to open up. You seem to be very happy with yours. Taken care of, it will last you along time. Yeah you can spend 550.00 or more and have the latest and greatest saw in the 50cc class that won't do anything but save you a second or so in the average cut. Lots of guys gripe about the airfilter, but you can cut alot of wood before you notice the power falling off. Some guys see the dirt on the filter and think they need to clean it way before it is really needed.

My 260 is one of my favorites. I run a 16" bar with 3/8 LoPro and use it for alot of blocking when I carve, slices nice and fast without too much weight. It also sees alot of work for firewood.

I had a 260 for several years and it was a good reliable saw, and did everything asked of it. I hated the expensive air filter though. Just bought a new 346xp and must say it's superior to the 260 in every way, except for the outboard clutch and tipping over sideways.

The 261 is no doubt the new Cadillac of the 50cc class, but is just too expensive for a 50cc saw IMO.

The 026/MS260 series of saws are good all around saws. Lightweight, reliable, good power and speed, great parts availabilty. The newer 026's and all the MS260's have a very restricted muffler, but they are about the easiest muffler to open up. You seem to be very happy with yours. Taken care of, it will last you along time. Yeah you can spend 550.00 or more and have the latest and greatest saw in the 50cc class that won't do anything but save you a second or so in the average cut. Lots of guys gripe about the airfilter, but you can cut alot of wood before you notice the power falling off. Some guys see the dirt on the filter and think they need to clean it way before it is really needed.

Mmm ozzy dry hard woods with a 260 filter no good,thats one of the reasons i got a 261.

260 Pro? We have several, yes...Outdated? Maybe.

Do i care?...NO

They are still light, nimble, well balanced, strong, and fit the task on a lot of jobs. You can get parts for them almost anywhere, and you can actually build a great, working, complete saw from cheap parts on FleaBay (Yup...did that...)

They are a fine "Working Man's Saw", for the professional, the firewood cutter, the landowner and the Farmers and Ranchers out there. Super-reliable, we haven't had one crap-out while on the job yet (except for the one that got run-over by the wood trailer...but that's missing the point).

You can't go too far wrong with the solid MS260 Pro...but definetly do the muff mod...good becomes great...:msp_thumbsup:

I bought a MS260 Pro 18" .325 that I muffler modded. It is now 4 years old. The 260 has been a great saw. It's light, I can run it all day long and it has all the power a 50cc saw in that generation should have. It will handle 75% of what I need. The new model that replaces it is more powerful, but is about 1.2lbs. heavier. I'm not knocking it, and things would be different if that saw was around 4 years ago when I was shopping, but right now, I wouldn't trade even up for it. When I feel the need for a bigger saw, the MS460R comes out.

Latest posts

Back