Husqvarna 262xp fuel problem, many new parts, very frustrating

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vw_motorsports

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a 262 that is making me nuts, it has a fuel starvation problem. When first started, it will rev like a beast and 4-stroke. Carb is approx +1L, +1H. After approx. 60 secs you can hear the rpms pick up and it will stop 4-stroking unloaded with 20" bar and chain. Even if I start enriching the mixture it will not 4-stroke. Eventually it will stall. I've opened the fuel cap just prior to it stalling/ running lean condition and the fueling will come back. I replaced the vent, a little better...time wise but will still starve for fuel. New fuel line, new fuel filter...will still starve. I've filled the tank 1/4, 1/2, full same results. Swapped out carbs from a good running 261...also a walbro 120...same issue. Checked the metering lever on the carb and it is level with the housing which I believe is to spec. I took the old tank vent and gutted out the factory vent and swapped in a new duck bill from a poulan and although it definitely helped it will still starve for fuel.

One thing I did notice as being odd, is when the fuel starvation problems begin and the saw eventually stalls...I've pulled the fuel line off the carb and zero fuel comes out, I mean the line is off for 20 secs and zero fuel comes out of the line, even in 90F heat. Normally if I pull the fuel line off the carb, fuel will squirt out from the pressure in the tank. If I turn the saw on it's clutch side and open the fuel cap, the fuel will start to flow out the line.

The engine on this 262 is a screamer, I love it. Has anyone had this issue and/or added an extra breather. I've thought of enlarging the opening to the factory vent as the hole at the tip seems very small. I noticed a slight restriction just blowing into it. I'm also considering as a last resort, adding an extra duckbill on the top of the tank near the fuel cap...similar to the setup on a poulan 3300. There looks like there is plenty of room to add a duck bill and a few inches of breather line. I'd hate to do this but I really can't think of anything else.

Looking for some recommendations

There may be a bit of plastic flashing where the vent inserts into the tank. Seperate the tank and make sure the hole is clear. Then, I would remove the ceramic stone from the vent try the saw with just the vent tube inserted. Also as a way to eliminate the vent, crack the cap and run the saw on its side.

I must be half blind. Is the new hose pinched or kinked? Will it keep flowing fuel when tank is near full laying on side, cap on hose off of carb?

There may be a bit of plastic flashing where the vent inserts into the tank. Seperate the tank and make sure the hole is clear. Then, I would remove the ceramic stone from the vent try the saw with just the vent tube inserted. Also as a way to eliminate the vent, crack the cap and run the saw on its side.

I did run the saw on its side with the cap loose and the saw ran perfect...that's when I replaced the factory vent. After that I replaced the filter, then the line, then put the old gutted vent with duckbill, different carb, checked metering lever, etcetera, etcetera.

I did run the saw on its side with the cap loose and the saw ran perfect...that's when I replaced the factory vent. After that I replaced the filter, then the line, then put the old gutted vent with duckbill, different carb, checked metering lever, etcetera, etcetera.

Sounds like you narrowed it down to a venting issue. I am not familiar enough with the 262 but I would think that the vent system being used is failing after install and/or the impulse passage ways are block or weak enough to impair a loaded circuit.

Sometimes a venting issue starts with the P/C.

He is right,check that.I remember that,the hole in the tank was not formed correctly.

If I remember correctly that was 346, 350 series saws. Repair was to drill hole in the tank larger (this also cleaned up casting flash) reinstall factory vent. You could drill the end of the tube larger.
Shep

262's tank vent is a long plastic piece that installs fron the outside of the tank and extends through the hole and most of it is in the tank. The best way to check it, empty the tank and put the cap on, pull the fuel hose off the carb. put a hand vacuum pump on the hose and check. it should not hold vacuuum.

I personally have not had a problem with these vents not venting they normally leak when turned on it's side. Guts are replaceable in the tube not necessary to buy the whole vent.
Shep

finally ordered a vented husky cap, it should be here in a week. We'll see if that fixes the problem, if it does then the tank has a defect. btw those caps are pricey

Back