Got the Dolmars out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only fool-proof switches are the ones on some smaller Huskys/Jonsereds (346 and 357 families) - I have to look at what I am doing on all other saws, as there just are too many variants....:givebeer:

Those on the husqvarna 4 series is even more fool-proof, as the automatic returns to the on position!

Last edited:
I've had both a 460 and a 7900. I got rid of them both for a 372. I can cut all day and not have to worry about a clean filter.

Good move, the 5100S crowd have proven to be a touchy and sometimes ill-tempered bunch.....:msp_rolleyes: :msp_biggrin:

HEY!!!

I resemble that remark!

Actually, because everyone has different needs and cutting situations different saws will be closer to perfect for different people.
I for one, understand this, and don't really like to participate in "brand wars".
In reality I kinda hate to see any of them bashed unmercifully. It is ok to point out places where a particular saw may be less suited for a particular job than another, but blanket statements like...for instance, the stock filter is cheezy....really tend to twist my undies.

Mike

Once I had the switch off on my 7900, and I flooded it so bad that it wouldn't start for an hour.

You should get the HD filter kit for it. The stock filter is cheezy, and way too small.

I hear you but I'm not a full time logger by any means so that stock filter will be fine for me. Besides it can't be any worse then the 460's and the Stihl guys get all worked up when you mention that point. They say just clean them more often. :msp_ohmy:

Those on the husqvarna 4 series is even more fool-proof, as the automatic returns to the on position!

That sounds like a good setup, I have not had my hands on any of them yet.

I've had both a 460 and a 7900. I got rid of them both for a 372. I can cut all day and not have to worry about a clean filter.

To each there own, but I would choose the 575/576 for the same reason + more power myself.

Slightly :)

I will say my 5100 is gone and the 330 still sits on the tractor.:laugh:

That don't surprise me in the least. I would probably choose the same one if I had to choose. The 330 is stronger past 12-16" wood.

Good move, the 5100S crowd have proven to be a touchy and sometimes ill-tempered bunch.....:msp_rolleyes: :msp_biggrin:

Seems I'm learning still. :laugh:

It is ok to point out places where a particular saw may be less suited for a particular job than another, but blanket statements like...for instance, the stock filter is cheezy....really tend to twist my undies.

Mike

Sorry Mike, I added the HD kit to my 7900 and thought that it was so much better than stock. My 395XP has the nicest filter of any saw I own. Whenever I look at that thing all the others seem inadequate.

HEY!!!

I resemble that remark!

Actually, because everyone has different needs and cutting situations different saws will be closer to perfect for different people.
I for one, understand this, and don't really like to participate in "brand wars".
In reality I kinda hate to see any of them bashed unmercifully. It is ok to point out places where a particular saw may be less suited for a particular job than another, but blanket statements like...for instance, the stock filter is cheezy....really tend to twist my undies.

Mike

The air filter system of the 5100 isn't great by any standard, but it surely is adequate for my use (green and clean birch) - at least I believe so, until proven wrong.....:)

I just have to clean the filter a bit more often than on most other saws.......

I once saw a DEALER of both Husky and Dolmar pull on a 6400 'til he was out of breath.
I flipped the switch on, pulled it one time and when it fired, I thought I was gonna get thrown out of his shop!!!
Probably would have if he wasn't already out of breath!!!:laugh:

Mike

Which is why i flipped my 7900's switch...same as husky now.

Time to confess.

I was shocked Mark, that you admitted to using new Dolmars to cut that big tree. With all your magnificent old saws I felt you would have done it with an 8500 or an R100 or even that big green DolmarPoulan. Then you could have pulled out a5000 plus and a countervibe. But you used new saws. I am shattered.
But I gotta confess. When I go cutting for real wood I use these:

P1010871.jpg

And I am not proud of myself.:wink:

Al.

Looks like a couple Johnny Reds in that Husky picture?

I was shocked Mark, that you admitted to using new Dolmars to cut that big tree. With all your magnificent old saws I felt you would have done it with an 8500 or an R100 or even that big green DolmarPoulan. Then you could have pulled out a5000 plus and a countervibe. But you used new saws. I am shattered.

P1010871.jpg

Al.

I'm shocked as well! Thought for sure we'd see some big Poulans doing the cutting.

Bob

P1010871.jpg

Al.

Dammit Mark.................I was also hoping the Poul-Mar was going to be in this thread...:D

I'm shocked as well! Thought for sure we'd see some big Poulans doing the cutting.

Bob

There are times that all I will take are vintage saws, this wasn't one of them. :msp_biggrin:

It was hot, I was short on time and the 7900 is still bascially brand new and needed run. Yeah I could have used a Poulan 5200 as it is really only about 1 1/2 lbs heavier then the 7900 and would probably out cut it with a bigger bar, but then again this tree was a mess and I didnt want to subject my old saws to possible damage. I can get a new 7900 any day of the week, not the 5200.

There again, I could have used a Poulan 3000 or Partner 500/5000 and still cut just as much and just as fast but since I have not been that sold on the 5100 so far and really needed to get some more time with it before I decided to part with it or not it got its time to shine. It did shine a little brighter then I thought as well, but I still miss my Husky 353......

Aaron, with those things in mind, there is no way I'm hauling that 6000 out for a job like this. It weighs a ton and 6CI was no where needed for this one...

Al, thats a nice bunch you got there!

Bob, I know you got a couple and its nice to run the modern saws sometimes aint it?

There are times that all I will take are vintage saws, this wasn't one of them. :msp_biggrin:

It was hot, I was short on time and the 7900 is still bascially brand new and needed run. Yeah I could have used a Poulan 5200 as it is really only about 1 1/2 lbs heavier then the 7900 and would probably out cut it with a bigger bar, but then again this tree was a mess and I didnt want to subject my old saws to possible damage. I can get a new 7900 any day of the week, not the 5200.

There again, I could have used a Poulan 3000 or Partner 500/5000 and still cut just as much and just as fast but since I have not been that sold on the 5100 so far and really needed to get some more time with it before I decided to part with it or not it got its time to shine. It did shine a little brighter then I thought as well, but I still miss my Husky 353......

Aaron, with those things in mind, there is no way I'm hauling that 6000 out for a job like this. It weighs a ton and 6CI was no where needed for this one...

Al, thats a nice bunch you got there!

Bob, I know you got a couple and its nice to run the modern saws sometimes aint it?

Yea, you got me there Mark. Was just busting your b^&*#. Have a Makita 6400 with BB kit and HD filter and that thing screams. Barely a tank thru it yet so its still a little rich. Nice and light with plenty of power.
Bob

Mark,i cut with dolmars and husky's,i do the same thing all the time !! LOL !!
was thinking about trying to reverse the switch or put a husky one in so both the same :)

Add me to the club. Switching back and forth between the 7901 and the 2171, I still have to look at the switch every time. :mad:

The 7900 definately look's to be a good saw. I have never run one would love too. We have alot of 046, and 460's at work. It took along time for me to be impresse'd, but I do agree with Mark alot of hype, and build up. A great saw for sure but guy's around here made it sound like my 044 was obsolete, and I would want to throw it away the first time I ran a 046. I just agree there are other very good saw's in that class, and some of the 460 hype make's it sound like it stand's alone. If I had to buy a nea 440- or a 460 yeah I may go with a 460, but my 044 is still here. That being said a very good saw though.

You know guys, I think one of the most underrated saws on AS is the 7300. I got to run one a few months ago, and in 25" seasoned oak it was as eevry bit as fast as my new 681. Now grant it my 681 was on its 1st tank of gas, and was running a little rich, thats still IMHO, very impressive. I wander what the weight difference is between the 7900?

Back