Makita DCS-520 Is it worth holding onto?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tallguys

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I came across this Makita DCS520, never used, that the guy had bought years ago and put into storage. Just wondering how good (or not) of a saw it is. I've read here mostly, that it is basically a Dolmar 111 or 115 but not much else about these. Other than being an older Dolmar design is there anything else to know about?

I came across this Makita DCS520, never used, that the guy had bought years ago and put into storage. Just wondering how good (or not) of a saw it is. I've read here mostly, that it is basically a Dolmar 111 or 115 but not much else about these. Other than being an older Dolmar design is there anything else to know about?

Yep, very much like a 111. Strong and well engineered.

But they are mostly cursed and do all kinds of goofy things that will cause you to have sleepless nights that will no doubt change the course of your life .... :dizzy:

You need to rid yourself of this evil demon and send it to me. I'll pay the shipping.

:chainsaw:

Decent saw, I liked mine. There is nothing legendary about them but 30 years later a NIB saw of almost any status will find a happy owner, however unless it is a highly sought after model it will most likely not fetch big dollars. Hard to break even on most of them. If you can get a good deal on it stuff it in the closet.

First and only new saw I ever purchased, 1999 an Orchard hardware store going out of business.

Last edited:
Thanks for the opinions guys. Just to be clear, by "worth holding onto" I don't mean it as an investment so much as a good and solid running saw. Putting it another way, is it as good as a PS-510 or other 50cc saws in terms of reliability, power and durability. I know its not an MS260/261 or a 346XP.

It is good to use as a personal saw. Just as good as your 510

It is good to use as a personal saw. Just as good as your 510
Thats what I was thinking. Now in the future if the CAD bug bites and I decide I don't really need two 50cc saw but thought about upsizing, which would be the one to let go? Is the older tech 520 the keeper or the newer 510?

It is lighter than a PS-510, and the case is magnesium.

Another way to put it is that it is a "detuned" Dolkita 115/5200.

From what I've read you're pretty good at digging up specs on just about all saws. Would you happen to know the specs for the DCS520? Specifically the weight, power ratings and rpms.

Thats what I was thinking. Now in the future if the CAD bug bites and I decide I don't really need two 50cc saw but thought about upsizing, which would be the one to let go? Is the older tech 520 the keeper or the newer 510?

It would be wiser to keep the 510 down the road because of parts availability.

Last edited:
Thanks for the opinions guys. Just to be clear, by "worth holding onto" I don't mean it as an investment so much as a good and solid running saw. Putting it another way, is it as good as a PS-510 or other 50cc saws in terms of reliability, power and durability. I know its not an MS260/261 or a 346XP.

It is just as good as any ms260. Same generation of design. If I remember correctly the 520/115 has 52cc/3.7hp. So it should be sufficient to cut some wood. But don't worry Sawtroll will be along soon to tell us that Dolmar always exaggerated on their specifications. Although this has never been confirmed as far as I know. I have heard that Dolmar has just taken it out of their regular produktion run. That means it was popular enough to justify production up to now.
They are beginning the last run sale with great prices at about 30% off. I would buy one if I didn't already have my Dolmar/Makita 5001(similar to the 5100).

edit; I just found a british site that says they only have 52cc/3.3hp, although the german company site states that the 115 has 3.7hp. Well who knows.
http://www.toolstop.co.uk/makita-dcs520-52cc-2-stroke-petrol-chainsaw-45cm-p8370

http://www.dolmar.de/produkte/product/4478/index.html

Last edited:
It is just as good as any ms260. Same generation of design. If I remember correctly the 520/115 has 52cc/3.7hp. So it should be sufficient to cut some wood. But don't worry Sawtroll will be along soon to tell us that Dolmar always exaggerated on their specifications. Although this has never been confirmed as far as I know. I have heard that Dolmar has just taken it out of their regular produktion run. That means it was popular enough to justify production up to now.
They are beginning the last run sale with great prices at about 30% off. I would buy one if I didn't already have my Dolmar/Makita 5001(similar to the 5100).

Weights, not power is where the exaggerations generally take place.....actually, virtually all weights are optimistic.

The Dolmar 111 is the same as the 115 with the difference being the Bar length, the design of the clutch, and the decal on the clutch cover. The P&C and Carbs are interchangeable.

This is my 111 which now sports a 18" X .325 B&C
attachment.php

How do you port it. I thought 5200i is tuned anyway

You might want to research what porting actually is. Countless threads on this site related to porting various saws. The 5200i/115i is not "tuned" - it has a different piston and cylinder than the 520i/111i. 5200i is closed port, 520i is open port. You can search that here as well if you don't know the difference between the two designs.

You might want to research what porting actually is. Countless threads on this site related to porting various saws. The 5200i/115i is not "tuned" - it has a different piston and cylinder than the 520i/111i. 5200i is closed port, 520i is open port. You can search that here as well if you don't know the difference between the two designs.
You know what you on about so can you help me? I have a obtained a dcs 4300i but the cylinder is not original is is open port and bore of 44mm which makita say is off a 5200i but it's open port

5200i and 520i are both 44mm bore. Someone has "upgraded" your saw to 52cc open port with a cylinder and piston from a 520i. The 4300i and the 5200i share the same lower end assembly, and the piston and cylinder assemblies are interchangeable between the two models.

The DCS430i, 4300i, 520i, and 5200i are all the same saw, with the only differences being various piston/cylinder configurations.

Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back