290 farmboss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike421

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all, I have a stihl farmboss 290. I was cleaning up from the storm today in the rain and my saw puked. I am guessing that all the wet wood, sawdust and rain just took its toll after about 3 hours.
Things were going great and then the saw became sluggish. It would run, but it didn't seem to reach full rim's or power. Then it would start but as soon as I attempted to accelerate it would stall. I took it home and cleaned the air filter, made sure no yuckies were in the carb, pulled the plug and let it sit to dry out. I will get a fresh gallon of higher octane gas in the morning and see if it starts/ runs. Any other suggestions?

Saw Help

Clean the area around the chain brake and check fire screen on the saw. If your cutting wet wood the clutch area can fill with fine wet saw dust and gum up the clutch assembly.

Sorry guys but I think their is something else amiss.Gas starvation is the first on my list followed buy an ignition problem.I would think that the gas in the tank may have been old and may have gummed up the carburetor or gas filter.If you were leaning on it to cut through the wood you may have overheated the saw.Sawdust is not a good sign. Chips are best!When was the last time this saw was used?Ken

Ok carb kit, fuel pick up and a new plug..... don't store old gas boys :)

Almost never on the muffler screen on the 290.......

Almost everytime on the fuel line and the fuel system....... Replace the fuel line and rebuild the carb. But remove the muffler and take a peek at the piston first.....

Well FISH my friend I think your on to something here. I have only seen on muffler screen built up with carbon. I think it was running 20ish:1. The piston was also carboned up. My bet is the fuel line is cracked and starving the saw from fuel. New fuel filter and fuel line and check back with us. Also take a peeky at the piston because if the saw does have cracked fuel line, it runs it lean. This will burn the piston up.

Back