Tool Forum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really a tool question, but you are the guys that would know (well, the northern guys anyway).

The carpet in my car has a thick build up of salt on the driver's side. Hard lumps of it that seem resistant to water, carpet cleaner, etc. I tried wetting and scraping some of it off.

Anything that will dissolve this easily without dissolving the carpet? Or should I just keep wetting it and scrubbing?

Thanks.

Philbert
Sorry Philbert I don't know of anything to help you out.I'm sure someone might know on here.
Try asking at this forum The Garage Journal
Let me know how you make out
Lawrence

Newbie to working on saws here. I've bought a lot of broken saws and hope to learn about them by playing.

Most of them are Huskys and I have the workshop manuals for them. They list a bunch of tools and I'm wondering whether I need those ones (e.g. pullers, exhaust plugs) or whether generic ones would work.

Can someone advise this rookie as to building up a basic set of tools to handle most situations ?

I already have:
- Ratchet/socket set
- screwdrivers with standard and Torx heads
- spark plug wrench
- micrometer, calipers
- gap gauge
- grease gun
- feeler gauges

I have ordered:
- torque wrench
- Wiha torque screwdriver
- inline spark tester
- "Equus" brand compression tester

Anything else I need ?

I can see getting frustrated if every other day I need another tool or part and it's off to Ebay or Amazon or choochoo parts or wherever to try and source it. A local chainsaw store closed down and I sent them an email asking if they wanted to sell any of their stuff off, but I never heard back.

Thanks ! terry

Last edited:
Sherline Mini Lathe

If anyone is familiar with Sherline mini lathese, would they possibly be useful for small engines if I got advanced ? I'm trying to sell a woodworking tool and someone offered me one in partial trade... I got interested in it, mostly because I've started making my kids some toys, but wondered about small engine applications. But I don't know squat about machining and not sure if it'd be too small to be useful. I also thought I might need a mill.

thanks - terry

If anyone is familiar with Sherline mini lathese, would they possibly be useful for small engines if I got advanced ? I'm trying to sell a woodworking tool and someone offered me one in partial trade... I got interested in it, mostly because I've started making my kids some toys, but wondered about small engine applications. But I don't know squat about machining and not sure if it'd be too small to be useful. I also thought I might need a mill.

thanks - terry

The Sherline is pretty much used for small hobby stuff.

Newbie to working on saws here. I've bought a lot of broken saws and hope to learn about them by playing.

Most of them are Huskys and I have the workshop manuals for them. They list a bunch of tools and I'm wondering whether I need those ones (e.g. pullers, exhaust plugs) or whether generic ones would work.

Can someone advise this rookie as to building up a basic set of tools to handle most situations ?

I already have:
- Ratchet/socket set
- spark plug wrench
- micrometer, calipers
- gap gauge
- grease gun
- feeler gauges

I have ordered:
- torque wrench
- inline spark tester

Anything else I need ?

I can see getting frustrated if every other day I need another tool or part and it's off to Ebay or Amazon or choochoo parts or wherever to try and source it. A local chainsaw store closed down and I sent them an email asking if they wanted to sell any of their stuff off, but I never heard back.

Thanks ! terry

Add to your list:
- sets of t-handle Allen wrenches (metric and SAE)
- swap out that useless inline spark tester for one that uses an actual spark plug. Much better measure of spark intensity. About $11 on eBay, shipped.
- vacuum pump from HF

Good luck!

I already have:
- Ratchet/socket set
- spark plug wrench
- micrometer, calipers
- gap gauge
- grease gun
- feeler gauges

I have ordered:
- torque wrench
- inline spark tester

Anything else I need ?

Thanks ! terry

One thing I can think of is a set of ring compressers from Baileys, like 8 bucks.

Small paint brushes/ wire brushes from the dollar store for cleaning stuff.

Lots of different screwdrivers.

A good vice.

A set of punches are handy.

A good gasket scraper. I have one that takes a razor blade, works good.

Yard sales and flea markets are great places to buy tools cheap. Just make sure they ain't cheap tools!

I don't know squat about machining and not sure if it'd be too small to be useful.

You won't do much small engine work on this little gem....however it's a great place to start learning.

Add to your list:
- sets of t-handle Allen wrenches (metric and SAE)
- swap out that useless inline spark tester for one that uses an actual spark plug. Much better measure of spark intensity. About $11 on eBay, shipped.
- vacuum pump from HF

Good luck!
Warped5, do you have links to examples of what I need ?

For instance for spark testers, I see lots of them on Ebay, but most seem to look the same, and most are described as "inline".

Would this one be better ? Spark Plug Tester/Tool Sensor Ignition ~CHECKSPARK ~ | eBay

And for vacuum pump, at HF I see hand powered ones like this Mityvac Vacuum Pump, but there is also a "Brake bleeder and vacuum pump", and a couple of electric models. Which one do I want ?

One thing I can think of is a set of ring compressers from Baileys, like 8 bucks.
I'm starting to feel like a PITA. A search on Baileys for "ring compressor" turns up models ranging from $11.49 to a kit at $129.99 (with no picture or description, no less). If it's worth having the kit, I'll buy it...but you'd think they'd tell me why I need to spend more on the kit.

cordarrow and parrisw, thanks. I was hoping I'd be able if I bought the Sherline, I'd be able to have it do double-duty. I assume picking up some machinist skills would be very useful for advanced stuff. cordarrow, sounds like you like the machine ?

Thanks guys for the great ideas and suggestions, I really appreciate them. Please keep them coming. My wife is getting PO'ed at all the deliveries I've been sneaking in the door. LOL.

Last edited:

For instance for spark testers, I see lots of them on Ebay, but most seem to look the same, and most are described as "inline".

Would this one be better ? Spark Plug Tester/Tool Sensor Ignition ~CHECKSPARK ~ | eBay

And for vacuum pump, at HF I see hand powered ones like this Mityvac Vacuum Pump, but there is also a "Brake bleeder and vacuum pump", and a couple of electric models. Which one do I want ?

Sure!

Here is an example of the spark tester: Spark tester. I have an 'inline' model from Oregon and it tests for 'presence,' not 'intensity.'

The 'brake bleeder and vacuum pump' will serve you fine .... Sefh3 has posted a thread, look for his sig, it is in there.

I'm starting to feel like a PITA. A search on Baileys for "ring compressor" turns up models ranging from $11.49 to a kit at $129.99 (with no picture or description, no less). If it's worth having the kit, I'll buy it...but you'd think they'd tell me why I need to spend more on the kit.

cordarrow and parrisw, thanks. I was hoping I'd be able if I bought the Sherline, I'd be able to have it do double-duty. I assume picking up some machinist skills would be very useful for advanced stuff. cordarrow, sounds like you like the machine ?

Thanks guys for the great ideas and suggestions, I really appreciate them. Please keep them coming. My wife is getting PO'ed at all the deliveries I've been sneaking in the door. LOL.

Bailey's - Piston Ring Clamp Set This is all I have, works great.

Ive been needin a good larger vise for some time now. I've been using this Columbian branded 3.5" vise, but it was kinda small for what I needed. I picked it off a scrap trailer for $5. USA made too :)

195357a4.jpg

Then I found this Nice old Craftsman at a yard sale for $10. Still just 3.5", but quite a bit beefier, with the replaceable jaws. Again, USA made :)

735b91f6.jpg

Then, last week, stop at the local Pawn shop to snoop around, and there sat this brand new Matco branded 6.5" with a price I couldn't refuse. $35 OTD. It's never been bolted down, as far as I can tell, and shows no signs of use, just some surface rust from sitting. I'll be changing that shortly :) Again, good ol' USA made.

08b75369.jpg

Sure!

Here is an example of the spark tester: Spark tester. I have an 'inline' model from Oregon and it tests for 'presence,' not 'intensity.'

The 'brake bleeder and vacuum pump' will serve you fine .... Sefh3 has posted a thread, look for his sig, it is in there.

Warped is right on about spark testers don't even bother with in line get the plug style.
Will save you a lot of hair you won't be pulling it out! I am a little balder on account of it.
Shep

This is my latest addition to the workshop: An Emmert three headed vise. It rotates through 360 on the base, 360 on the jaws, and there's an L-slide on the head. I'm sort of into woodworking and I knew that the Emmert patternmaker's vises were highly sought after, so I started watching for Emmerts. This one wasn't cheap.

I might use this for my chainsaw-specific work as I really don't want a bench vise on my woodworking bench. Of course that means I now need a bench for the CS work.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Not really a tool question, but you are the guys that would know (well, the northern guys anyway).

The carpet in my car has a thick build up of salt on the driver's side. Hard lumps of it that seem resistant to water, carpet cleaner, etc. I tried wetting and scraping some of it off.

Anything that will dissolve this easily without dissolving the carpet? Or should I just keep wetting it and scrubbing?

Thanks.

Philbert

I'll try to remember to ask my dad. He's the manager of the detailing dept. at the local Chrysler/Dodge dealership, and if he can't get it out, I'd like to see the person who could. They have chems there that can remove pretty much everything. I've even seen black road tar come out of upholstery.

I'll try to remember to ask my dad. He's the manager of the detailing dept. at the local Chrysler/Dodge dealership, and if he can't get it out, I'd like to see the person who could. They have chems there that can remove pretty much everything. I've even seen black road tar come out of upholstery.

Thanks.

Just to clarify, these are not salt 'stains' (white lines), these are salt 'clumps' or 'lenses' (to use a geological term) mixed with dirt. Thick (up to 3/8") build ups that I try to remove every 17 years or so ('94 Corolla wagon).

Water did not seem to work, or was so slow that progress was not visible.. Vinegar did not seem to work. I tried scraping and wire brushing (hand brush) the clumps but was concerned that I would tear out too much of the fiber nap. What has worked best so far (don't laugh until you have thought about it) has been a ball-peen hammer. My neighbor suggested it. I have been using a small, ball-peen hammer, and a smaller tack hammer, to repetitively tap on the clumps, fracture them slightly, then vacuum up any salt dust and grit with a shop vac.

Still slow, but visible progress. When I am down to the salt stain level, I will try again with the water, carpet shampoo, etc. Might take another 17 years to get back to status quo. But any other ideas are welcome.

Philbert

Tar/asphalt is easy. I've got stuff at work that will take tar off of absolutely anything. Even clothes. Hellish expensive, but it does work.

I really don't know what works for road salt. Funny, cause we use thousands of tons of it here.

Back