stump vise?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Usually just change my chain but have had my stump vise come in handy many times. Definately a very handy item to have in the saw box.

I usually just set down on the ground and file away. I use a vise back at the shop from time to time.

Heres a neat video. Ive never tried it, but I might one day just to see if I can.

[video=youtube;CoNDVKdQX_A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoNDVKdQX_A&feature=player_profilepage[/video]

I usually just set down on the ground and file away. I use a vise back at the shop from time to time.

Heres a neat video. Ive never tried it, but I might one day just to see if I can.

[video=youtube;CoNDVKdQX_A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoNDVKdQX_A&feature=player_profilepage[/video]

I never understood the reason for that. So you are going to run your saw more with a dull chain to make that vise or do you do the before it gets dull? With a stump vise I think I would be done filing before that thing is even ready.

Laying your saw flat and scrambling around on the ground on your hands and knees whilst filing the chain is for greenhorns and tyros sorry.

Just find yourself a log or sloping bank, sit down and relax, plonk the saw between your knees with the bar pointing upwards and file the thing in front of your face.

BINGO! That's how I've been doing it for 30+ years of firewood cutting. One less thing to drag into the woods. Once you get good at it you can dress up a chain in no time. If I nick a rock or nail and I just change the chain and get back to cutting. No time to spend on doing a complete sharpen. You do that at home.

I never understood the reason for that. So you are going to run your saw more with a dull chain to make that vise or do you do the before it gets dull? With a stump vise I think I would be done filing before that thing is even ready.

LOL, Well, you gotta build the vise before you ever start cutting lol. Na, I don't know. I thought the video was cool, but its not the fastest way Im sure.

I could set on the ground and have one filed before joe blow every got that thing whittled out. :cheers:

True, I guess some guy's are slower at filing, but with a vise I think I can file both sides of a chain faster than I can get one outa the box, the old one off, and new one on, and changed. Be a good thing to time, and try, and a new thread! But I can file a chain pretty fast, sharp too. Guy's at work change the chains, and that works. Its great if you have a grinder. I dont it seems like they pile up, and dont get sharpened. In fact I have done that been a few years, and I think the dull ones are still hangin in my shed LOL! Either way, sharpen or change one, both will work. Im not against either. If you havent tried the stump vise, at least try it first. It might surprise you.

chunk of wood

I just use any handy generic chunk of wood that is a little thicker than the distance between the bottom cutters and the ground (bottom of saw where it rests). Lay the bar over the chunk, it locks the chain in place. Do some cutters, however many you can reach handy, reach over, grab the chain, pick it up and slide it forward some more, set it back down. Finish one side, flip it around do the other side. I don't even own any sort of saw vise, shop or field.

Ha! they need a file guide that will hold like half a dozen files at the same time. Do six cutters with each stroke. That would speed things up a little.

i5af4g.jpg
i like this one the best before work tom

Homemade stump vise

My made up stump vise is a lot like SPDRMNKY's but way, way simpler .
I just welded a lag bolt to a 4 inch C-clamp and screw the resulting stumpvise into a log or stump in the bush or, if I'm near the truck, to a 2x8 that I C-clamp to the tail gate .
Been using this vise for about 5 years....to-day I added a split open rubber hose to the metal frame of the vise .....to protect the teeth on the chain .
I use a 14 inch aluminum lunch kit for my saw tool box and this vise is small enough to fit inside along with a spare chain , a file and guide with handle, extra chain, allen wrenches, scrench, screwdrivers, one plastic wedge, various nuts and bolts, extra sparkplug , extra pull rope etc., etc.
I even use it at home ....just C-clamp the 2x6 with vise attached to my roll about welding bench .,

I've got one but I've never used it. Most of the times I'll just swap out chains and sharpen at home. If I get real ambitious I'll cut a round, pull up a seat and sharpen the saw on the tailgate.

I must admit they always looked like a neat idea. However, when I was fallin I got paid to put trees on the ground, not file chains. I cut for 6 hrs. At the 3 hr mark I put on a new chain and went back to work. Chains got sharpened at home. Now cutting firewood, I can take some time to touch up a chain. Also at my age I can usually use the rest:biggrin:

I must admit they always looked like a neat idea. However, when I was fallin I got paid to put trees on the ground, not file chains. I cut for 6 hrs. At the 3 hr mark I put on a new chain and went back to work. Chains got sharpened at home. Now cutting firewood, I can take some time to touch up a chain.

Agreed, I bought one and used it maybe twice in 6 years, honestly don't even know where it is now. I can just craddle the saw in my lap or against a tree or on the stump or last log I cut and sharpen/touch up one. So never saw how it was efficient in taking the time in carring the weight to stop and smell the roses and sharpen my chain using the stump vise. If back at home at the end of the day, I will put the whole saw in a bench vise and sharpen that way, but at the landing or in the timber, we just sharpen them with whatever is around.

To each his own,

Sam

Latest posts

Back