Controversial Dealings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing I do not like is 2 guys have a bad deal,it gets in the forum and twenty guys bad mouth the two plus they start bad mouthing each other. Right now there is not
a valid solution to solve these bad deals. Nothing is binding and no one can force one or the other to do the right thing.
Here is an idea that may or may not work,I will throw it out and let you tell me what you think.From now on there will be 2 types of sales,the type that we have always had,
and a new over sighted sale. You can choose which you want to be part of. The old type you live with the results and can not complain about any deal.The new type would be like this:
1. You agree to be part of the system.
2. The system is like a buyer and seller club that has regulations.
3. The regulations are drawn up and voted on by all that want to be members.
4. A panel or jury of our peers will be put in place,the number would be an odd number like 5 or 7 or however you want.
5. Any dispute will be brought up to this board or jury and they will be given all of the facts,they then will resolve the problem with their vote.The majority vote will be in favor
of one party or the other.
6. As a member of this buyer group YOU HAVE TO ABIDE WITH THEIR DECISION.
7.If you do not you will be banned and not allowed to buy or sell anymore on this site.
This is just an idea but I think it may settle a lot of disputes,any ideas or thoughts?Dave

Yeah, kind of like i suggested, but it would involve some time/work from AS, and if funds were not held, then the decision would be meaningless

The last time I checked , the forum owner (not the members) allowed the swap meet and classified forum to non sponsor sellers and traders (for which I am grateful) so before the partisan politics get out of hand remember the fact that , we are really guests and should not abuse the liberties given to us .
We have an organization up north called the Better Business Bureau , it doesn't get rid of all the issues but it is another avenue to help make an informed decision . May be we need some version of that here on AS if selling and trading is continued to be allowed or may be we should all trade our personal emails so AS is not involved .
Yes , I believe in caveat emptor (sp) but to not disclose a bad deal (seller or buyer) has other implications .
Keep the ASBBB closed and then posting the claim and result if the matter does not get resolved would be one way to do it and post the names of repeat offenders .

My vote goes to Fish and Slamm as defense and prosecution (in rotation) with Trimmed , Wampum , GASoline71 as judges with RandyMac being supreme court justice LOL .

Dancan, good point, but the libertie's we have given should also be respected, and appreciated. Without all of us this site wouldn't exist or be neede'd. We all also buy from the sponsor's, and help support them which support's the site.

Here is an idea that may or may not work,I will throw it out and let you tell me what you think.From now on there will be 2 types of sales,the type that we have always had,
and a new over sighted sale. You can choose which you want to be part of. The old type you live with the results and can not complain about any deal.

It's a horrible idea.

As it stands, it is about information, not necessarily resolution, which is a good thing. In fact, it is the only value I see to allowing these threads.

Buy something in an oversight sale, and you could get screwed in a popularity contest.

Buy it outside of those rules, and you lose the right to inform others to proceed with caution.

I think it is a step backwards into a tangled mess.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what Brad thinks...

The thing I do not like is 2 guys have a bad deal,it gets in the forum and twenty guys bad mouth the two plus they start bad mouthing each other. Right now there is not
a valid solution to solve these bad deals. Nothing is binding and no one can force one or the other to do the right thing.
and a new over sighted sale. You can choose which you want to be part of. The old type you live with the results and can not complain about any deal.The new type would be like this:
1. You agree to be part of the system.
2. The system is like a buyer and seller club that has regulations.
3. The regulations are drawn up and voted on by all that want to be members.
4. A panel or jury of our peers will be put in place,the number would be an odd number like 5 or 7 or however you want.
5. Any dispute will be brought up to this board or jury and they will be given all of the facts,they then will resolve the problem with their vote.The majority vote will be in favor
of one party or the other.
6. As a member of this buyer group YOU HAVE TO ABIDE WITH THEIR DECISION.
7.If you do not you will be banned and not allowed to buy or sell anymore on this site.
This is just an idea but I think it may settle a lot of disputes,any ideas or thoughts?Dave

I can see this working.......maybe.

Like Ed said, it could be a matter of popularity. I ain't well liked like he is so......... :msp_tongue:

Visit RC Tech. We have a feedback system in place. It's not perfect, but it works. Mine you, this site trades as much as any other outside the auction sites. Pages and pages of new selling and buying daily.
The 'Trader rating' on RCTech is very much as important to members as a feedback rating on ebay. It's listed as if it's your sig...it is in many ways.
I realize the trading on AS is minuscule in comparison...however with AS's addiction to worthless credits and rep...trading a little bandwidth for something worthwhile seems prudent.

Last edited:
Dancan, good point, but the libertie's we have given should also be respected, and appreciated. Without all of us this site wouldn't exist or be neede'd. We all also buy from the sponsor's, and help support them which support's the site.

Yes , it does take all of us to make a great site but it takes good planing and moderators to keep us on the path .
A few sites have popped up with little moderation and laxer rules but this site is still going strong so something must be working .
All I meant to point out is that a few bad apples (seller or buyer) could ruin a benefit that has been afforded to us by management so if a way to arbitrate claims and report abusers would be available we would all gain and hopefully there would be no names on the list .
If I repeatedly sold/traded stuff that was not quite as described and had a large following of unhappy buyers would I be banned could I continue or should there be a procedure that could be followed to stop my unscrupulous dealings .

How about a second rep thing for trading/selling? If a guy has a neg rep on trades it would warn other people to shy away.

Mastermind could start out at -10, just for sport.:msp_w00t:

The "rep" and "like" thing is silly, and worthless.........

Adolf Hitler joined here a few years ago, and got some early bad "rep", but is now a well respected member.......

Kind of like e-bay feedback=worthless.......

Dancan, I got ya brother, just saying two way street. You are right too, because I have been on other site's that are worthless! I guess there will alway's be weasle's, and bad applle's. Too bad it's hard to trust many people. Oh well I guess we stick with our normall crowd, and get to know new people over time. Kind of curious why there are more guest's than member's, it seem's these day's?

I must have hit you in the past, 'cause it won't let me rep you now!

I gave you a mega hit just.....well because. :)

How about a second rep thing for trading/selling? If a guy has a neg rep on trades it would warn other people to shy away.

Mastermind could start out at -10, just for sport.:msp_w00t:

I'm all for a reputation system that lets us know something real about a feller.

Right now I think I'm in the number one rep spot but wouldn't mind giving it up to put a system in place that's really useful.

The "rep" and "like" thing is silly, and worthless.........

Adolf Hitler joined here a few years ago, and got some early bad "rep", but is now a well respected member.......

Kind of like e-bay feedback=worthless.......

Really? I would think it would be fairly easy. Guy has a couple neg reps on trades, I proceed with more caution. Guy has all positive trading rep, trust him a little more. I think even Fish could figure that out.:msp_tongue:

Really? I would think it would be fairly easy. Guy has a couple neg reps on trades, I proceed with more caution. Guy has all positive trading rep, trust him a little more. I think even Fish could figure that out.:msp_tongue:

The rep thing here means nothing at all, e-bay's feedback is so one sided, that I count it as worthless.

I like the moron's that brag about their 100% positive feedback when they have never even sold anything on e-bay.

I will brag about my 100%, but I had to pay dearly to keep it that way.

I am suprised that I am still selling there.

In case you have no idea, seller's CANNOT give anything but positive feedback, at all. How is that fair?

Yes, I can figure that out.

Just trying to get a rise out of you, Fish.:D And an honest feedback system here could work, if it was only for trading or selling on here. The problem would be trying to keep people from repping people one way or the other without a transaction taking place.

The rep thing here means nothing at all, e-bay's feedback is so one sided, that I count it as worthless.

I like the moron's that brag about their 100% positive feedback when they have never even sold anything on e-bay.

I will brag about my 100%, but I had to pay dearly to keep it that way.

I am suprised that I am still selling there.

In case you have no idea, seller's CANNOT give anything but positive feedback, at all. How is that fair?

Yes, I can figure that out.

Firstly... I agree with Mr. Fisher....Ebay has destroyed their feedback system...I believe it used to work better..but disallowing neg. feedback by the seller is not allowing feedback at all really. There are just as many dishonest buyers ( if not more) than sellers.
I have had a fair number of dealings with members here... nothing big usually small hard to find bits etc. I have been the one in need and also been the one to furnish parts. All have gone very well on trust with only one exception where I sent an entire set of AV mounts, cups and screws etc. all clean and ready to install for an older Jonsereds with the friendly agreement that I would be rembursed the cost of shipping ($5.00) and one sixpak of my favorite beverage ($7.64) for my parts and time packing etc. Well.......I sent the parts....and he never made it right. No big whoop to me really...extra parts I had...time I spent..I would have been doing something else just as unproductive..so I was really out only the $5.00 shipping. Not worth venting publicly..not my way..it just shows me what someones personality is like...a window to their soul if you will. On the internet or face to face, in the end you are only as good as you word...if you are deficiant it can't be hidden. As has been said buying or selling to unknown parties is just asking for problems. Personally I don't think AS has any need to be involved in any way, I understand the point of not wanting to stifle an opinion on a deal gone bad or want endless/pointless pages wasted in bickering over the same. But we are all men (and/or women) and if you chose to deal from the armchair/keyboard it is a risk you take every time for better or worse. I would encourage all to treat each other honestly with up front discriptions and expectations. If you do get the short end of the stick...harden up, stop your whining and don't put your self in that situation again with that person. Education has a cost......ALWAYS. In reality there is little else that can be done......the thieves will steal and the whiners will whine...all the name calling and finger pointing...banning etc won't change that one whit.

Of course this is JMHO as always:cheers:

Last edited:
Back