Hey Sawtroll.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somthing special about that motor. I loved it!

The 346xp is kind of like a 289, in a non related way. :msp_smile:

Allways like how them littlle fords just stopped when you turned em off. Short strokes and the 260-289 had a good rod length.
I know the 302 had the same stroke but the rods were shorter.

Allways like how them littlle fords just stopped when you turned em off. Short strokes and the 260-289 had a good rod length.
I know the 302 had the same stroke but the rods were shorter.

The 302 was a good motor also, but the 289 was just special. To me anyway.

The Rover V8 is where its at!! All aluminun!!! Ranged from 3.5L(215cu) to 4.6L(280cu)

and it was originally a Buick.

It was bored and stroked by Leyland Australia in the early seventies to 4.4 litres, and you could get a block with 4 bolt mains and forged crank (Terrier truck engine) and the race boys took it to 5 litres, all nearly fifteen years before head office in the UK did.

Forgot to mention we had a 302 Cleveland here, made from dropping the stroke on the 351 and increasing the rod length to 6"

Both sizes of the Cleveland were produced here until I think '83.
I still have a pretty warm 351 stashed away in the shed, it has 302 quench chamber heads with 4V valves. Might put it something one day.

and it was originally a Buick.

It was bored and stroked by Leyland Australia in the early seventies to 4.4 litres, and you could get a block with 4 bolt mains and forged crank (Terrier truck engine) and the race boys took it to 5 litres, all nearly fifteen years before head office in the UK did.

Yup orignally the Buick 215, leyland bought the rights and some tooling I think. There was also a Olds 215 which was slightly different. Yup easy to get them out to 5.0L. I had a pretty hot 3.5L in my TR7.

Forgot to mention we had a 302 Cleveland here, made from dropping the stroke on the 351 and increasing the rod length to 6"

I still have a pretty warm 351 stashed away in the shed, it has 302 quench chamber heads with 4V valves. Might put it something one day.

OHHH nice.

Hey Rick, have you evere seen a 427 Shelby Cobra in Australia, 427 C.I. 525 H.P and only weighed 2300 lbs. I raced against one in 1/4 mile drag when I was a teenager and that car is truly a bad boy.---Google Images

After running the stop watch Saturday I am leaning to 3/8s as well. I could not believe what was going on, however reading this thread helps. We must have timed the 346s twenty times. I really wanted to see the clutch changed on all the saws, just did not happen and would have proven once and for all.
It was a fun test though.

Wanab's EH346 hit close to 18K and I think he said it had a little bit more to go. And we had a muffler modded 026 with WT194 hit 15,800 and was still 4 stroking. Tuned it down not to risk it

Nowhere near enough time tonight to read all 110 posts, but

dependant upon the species being cut, bar length, cutting style, and size of wood being cut (way too many variables.

Soft wood up to 16" bar sure 3/8"

Pretty much anything else .325, the kerf either way is pretty much the same in the real world but its the bite that makes the biggest difference.

How is this for the newer question.....

What is better 3/8 or 325 on my 346xpne cutting dead cedar up to 18" in diameter at the butt end?

Then it allows for discussion on the benefits of a larger cutter and profile and the benefit of a semi chisel in certain conditions.

Or hey .404 really lugs on my 346 but dammit that 3/8 lo-pro flies!

My 71.8cents

After running the stop watch Saturday I am leaning to 3/8s as well. I could not believe what was going on, however reading this thread helps. We must have timed the 346s twenty times. I really wanted to see the clutch changed on all the saws, just did not happen and would have proven once and for all.
It was a fun test though.

We're going to have to settle this, lol. Anyone know the PN for the proper tool for removing a 346XP clutch?

One of the saws in question will be run at the Iowa GTG with .325 8 pin and 3/8's 7 pin.

The .325 will be on a 16" bar and the 3/8 will be 18" so it won't be perfect but I will do the best I can.

Does the 346 come stock with a .325 7 or 8 pin?

Back