stihl 028 super electric

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlmizer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I bought this stihl used a couple of months ago and just started using it. It runs great till I get it warmed up and maybe 1/3 way threw the tank, then it starts bogging under full speed while cutting. It will idel fine and still cut. I have rebuilt the carb, replaced the plug, ran a tank of stihl synth oil mixed with 93 octane gas. I love the saw and want to get it running perfect. I also looked at the piston and it looks great. How do I check the fuel vent? Anyother suggestions?

tank vent- just a short piece of fuel line with a grub screw in it. Make sure its not clogged. When your saw starts to bog, shut it off and slowly open the gas cap. If it hisses at ya (sucking in air) then its your vent

Fuel filter- when ya rebuilt the carb, did ya replace that also? Could be starving for fuel.

Hi/low needles- when ya rebuilt the carb, did ya mess with the settings?

Above info is good to check but I would check the fuel line in the tank also, It could be too long, too short or it could be stiff and hold the filter up out of the fuel, next check to see if there is a tear or small pinhole in it, it is easier to suck up air than fuel and if the filter is out of the fuel or there is a hole in the line when the fuel in the tank drops below the opening.

Do a compression test also. Just cause the piston looks good threw the exhaust doesn't always mean it is good...could also be as simple a the carb being out of wak.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. What should the compression read? Should I check it with the saw cold and warmed up to see if theres a difference?

Compression was 140ish, I had the gasket for pump on wrong side

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Back