028 sthil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stackwood

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hey guys havnt posted in a while but I have a question , a local small engine repair guy who also works on chain saws (including mine) has a 028 that a customer never came back to pick up , he put a new carb and started it for me and says it runs great . He wants $100 is that a good deal? he also wants to sell me a 32" bar with chain for my MS 361 for $30 just got laid off but I dont think I want pass up these deals .

Thanks

I'd take that 028 in a heart beat. They are a pro quality saw, there are stihl tens of thousands of these saws in use across the country. Mine is over 30 years old, we bought it new. I'd like to have a dollar for every cord of wood and every foot of fence row it has cleaned. Although a 50cc saw it has to be up there with one of the best saws Stihl made. For most homeowners it is all the saw they will ever need for cutting their own firewood. I know I sure wouldn't take 100.00 for a good running 028, they are built like a tank, indestructible little saws, so much better made than a lot of the saws on the market today. There is nothing to think about, go pick that 028 up, put you a 16" bar on it and you'll find yourself smiling.

I agree. It's one of the best firewooding saws out there. My dad bought his new about 30 years ago, and we still use it today. The coil just went out 2 months ago, so we converted it to electronic. I've ran about a gallon of fuel through it since and it's still kicking butt.
Now having said that, I stil prefer my old 031AV over that old 028. The 031 is a significantly stronger running saw, so I can cut bigger logs in less time than the 028. Both are built like tanks, and are practically indestructable. Can't go wrong with either one. Only downside is my 031 doesn't have a chainbrake.

Both deals he's offering are great deals... Take him up on both... Why you still sitting there? Go... Go!!
:amazed:

I agree. It's one of the best firewooding saws out there. My dad bought his new about 30 years ago, and we still use it today. The coil just went out 2 months ago, so we converted it to electronic. I've ran about a gallon of fuel through it since and it's still kicking butt.
Now having said that, I stil prefer my old 031AV over that old 028. The 031 is a significantly stronger running saw, so I can cut bigger logs in less time than the 028. Both are built like tanks, and are practically indestructable. Can't go wrong with either one. Only downside is my 031 doesn't have a chainbrake.

Port the 028, and the 031 will get neglected...
:cheers:

Your gonna kill that 361 if you put a 32" bar on it. Max listed for that saw is 24". That 30 dollar deal will cost ya 150+ in replacement parts. I dont know if the oiler would keep up what that bar.

Your gonna kill that 361 if you put a 32" bar on it. Max listed for that saw is 24". That 30 dollar deal will cost ya 150+ in replacement parts. I dont know if the oiler would keep up what that bar.

I should have clarified... That's a screaming deal on a 32" bar and chain... Buy it and hang the set up in the garage... When CAD sets in, "and it will", use it on your new 460... :big_smile:

good deal on what he is offering. Save your money and go ahead and buy a MS66 this saw has never let me down.

both good deals

hey guys havnt posted in a while but I have a question , a local small engine repair guy who also works on chain saws (including mine) has a 028 that a customer never came back to pick up , he put a new carb and started it for me and says it runs great . He wants $100 is that a good deal? he also wants to sell me a 32" bar with chain for my MS 361 for $30 just got laid off but I dont think I want pass up these deals .

Thanks

Both of those are good deals, and that long bar is an *outstanding* deal. Go price a new one that size....I can't even find a 24" used around here, for any money....

You just got laid off...buy both, go cut one single cord of wood and sell it, you now are back to even steven on your cash supply.

Then go cut lots more wood! You ain't laid off, you just got a career change! hahahahaha

I've asked myself this a lot, which would I rather do (all jobs I have done for money)

go walk chicken houses and like pickup dead birds to keep the flock healthy..or go cut wood

go work steel and be working half way in the pass line, wondering when some big chunk will come down at gravity speed, or someones tool they failed to safe...because you know most of the guys up above you stayed out partying hard last night....or go cut wood

go put on a suit and tie and go *shave* then talk to prospective customers..or go cut wood

muck out stalls..or go cut wood

get up in the morning and stare at six miles of oranges trees all needing to be picked..or go cut wood

and stuff like that, at least 100 other jobs.

cutting wood is great!

$100.oo? I’d be jumping on that.
The 028 was a darn good saw, not a “Pro Class” saw but in the Stihl “Mid-Range Class”. I’ve owned a few of them in the past and all were solid performers. There were several variations, but the basic models were…
The early 028’s were made in Germany, had a 42mm bore, and rated at 3.0 HP.
Shortly after came the U.S. made 028 AV, and then the 028 “Wood Boss”, both had 47cc engines, 44mm bores, and rated at 3.2 HP
Next came the 028 Super, engine size was increased to 51.5cc, 46mm bores, and rated at 3.4 HP.
The early German made was heavy, but even the “AV”, “Wood Boss” and “Supers” weighed around 12.5 pounds… which contributed to their slower sales beginning in the early 90’s.

I sold my last 028 in 1992… when I bought my 026… and I’ve never looked back. But if I could buy a good 028 for $100.oo today I’d be jumping on it… but I’d probably sell it for around $250.00 instead of keeping it.

In 1991/92 Stihl introduced the 026, built on their “Pro-Class” platform with a 48.7cc engine, 44mm bore, and rated at 3.2, 3.3 or 3.4 HP depending on source and year of manufacture. The 026 weighed only 10.4 pounds, over 2-pounds lighter than the 028… but the 026, being a “Pro-Class” saw, cost more money. Still, people were willing to pay for the lighter weight and “Pro” grade… the 028 sales slowed, and was even dropped from the line for a couple years (although it was still shown in catalogs) until the introduction of the MS280. With the introductions of the “MS” series of saws the “Pro-Class” 260 lost its weight advantage over the “Mid-Range Class” 280... both weighing at around 11.5 pounds. Interestingly the MS280 had a larger engine but the MS260 was rated at higher HP.

The 028 was a darn good saw, not a “Pro Class” saw but in the Stihl “Mid-Range Class”. I’ve owned a few of them in the past and all were solid performers. There were several variations, but the basic models were…
Shortly after came the U.S. made 028 AV, and then the 028 “Wood Boss”, both had 47cc engines, 44mm bores, and rated at 3.2 HP
Next came the 028 Super, engine size was increased to 51.5cc, 46mm bores, and rated at 3.4 HP.
The early German made was heavy, but even the “AV”, “Wood Boss” and “Supers” weighed around 12.5 pounds… which contributed to their slower sales beginning in the early 90’s.

I sold my last 028 in 1992… when I bought my 026… and I’ve never looked back. But if I could buy a good 028 for $100.oo today I’d be jumping on it… but I’d probably sell it for around $250.00 instead of keeping it.
In 1991/92 Stihl introduced the 026, built on their “Pro-Class” platform with a 48.7cc engine, 44mm bore, and rated at 3.2, 3.3 or 3.4 HP depending on source and year of manufacture. The 026 weighed only 10.4 pounds, over 2-pounds lighter than the 028… but the 026, being a “Pro-Class” saw, cost more money. Still, people were willing to pay for the lighter weight and “Pro” grade… the 028 sales slowed, and was even dropped from the line for a couple years (although it was still shown in catalogs) until the introduction of the MS280. With the introductions of the “MS” series of saws the “Pro-Class” 260 lost its weight advantage over the “Mid-Range Class” 280... both weighing at around 11.5 pounds. Interestingly the MS280 had a larger engine but the MS260 was rated at higher HP.
There's just something about the 028 that has grace and character... It's been lost on the newer generation Stihl's a bit... I got my first 028 when I was 12... Still got it...

attachment.php

They're just a fine machine...:msp_wink:

Thanks for the info I will be looking up what 028 that I bought .

Thanks

I offered my good neighbor $250 for his Stihl 028 that includes an 18" bar and chain. He turned me down, even though he can no longer use it due to health problems.

Take it from there. :popcorn:

Last edited:
I had a new O28 back about 82 . it would scream . But the bolts would never stay tight . This happen every truck load . What has change ? Will loctite work better now? I don't know how any O28 made it this long. Not flaming a brand . Just saying buyer beware. Look it over for shear off bolts . Spring holding it together loose bolts.

I got me one.. I like it.. Parts are still fairly easy to find too.. for $100 I'd have another!

Back