Got into the big stuff today.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalmatian90

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
And I'm not talking about the wood!

Today's mission:
Cut down the bottom of the tree whose top snapped in Irene.
PA220797_small.jpg

20" bar...think I'll need to break out my 25" :D
Final measurement was 28" diameter where you see the saw -- which is actually 6' above the ground from where the roots are.
PA220798_small.jpg

Cut off the small leader (if you could call it that), maybe 6"?
But we have a problem -- it was so rotted, it didn't follow the notch as the wood just gave way as I made the back cut.

Pondered my options of how to ensure I didn't get crushed, and while the idea of buying a bull rope crossed my mind, so did "Gotta know when to hold them, know when to fold, know when to walk away, know when to run..."
PA220802_small.jpg

So this stubborn Finn went up the hill, "Hey Henry..."

One John Deere 410 to the rescue.
PA220812_small.jpg

Ended up being pretty solid. Backhoe alone couldn't do the deal, so Henry made some cuts (after we evaluated some more, I later got to play too and expanded them.)
PA220818_small.jpg

Wedging before we expanded the cuts to see what the tree was doing.
PA220835_small.jpg

PA220843_small.jpg

And we have the money shot!
PA220844_small.jpg

Didn't I just get finished cleaning up the lawn here?
I clambered down below and we chained up and lifted the log up to the lawn.
PA220845_small.jpg

Then up to the woodlot. Had four trees to service -- two were snags I created dropping trees, two were broken tops courtesy of Irene.
PA220851_small.jpg

Where we were working before..way down there dead center:
PA220856_small.jpg

And the other pair. Coincidentally both broken tops were immediately adjacent to snags from 2009. Between my skills getting a bit more polished and the woodlot starting to open up, I had no snags last year :)
PA220876_small.jpg

Fini!

i love hydralics. I have a bobcat 743-b that saves me alot from bad situations.

that 410 looks in real good shape for it's year........what year is it..??
i have an 82 JD 410. but yours has more clean paint than mine..
what's the story with the rear window ?? it does'nt look like a swinging door with glass in it like original ??

Don't know the story on it, Henry's had it as long as I can recall -- think he had back in '91 (and I didn't buy this place till '99). And he only uses it for light-duty work like you saw.

He has a 1960s era dump truck he bought when he was a young buck, but that's no longer on the road due to the taxes/insurance to keep it registered.

Latest posts

Back