Stacked Wedges - Does anyone do it like this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2treeornot2tree

Dont cry, just do it
Reaction score
I was looking through the latest tree service magazine, and stumbled onto this picture. The caption said that when each wedge is drivin in, it will give you a inch of lift per wedge. I have always just staked 2 wedges ontop of each other if i needed that much lift. Does anyone use this method in the picture to stack wedges, and if so how well does it work?

View attachment 204300

Not sure what the point would be to stack like that they would provide no more lift. Also just more work to drive in or so it looks. If I must stack I prefer to use the riffled wedges which seem to work just great.
Jared

Less chance of the wedges slippin on each other?

I guess it would depend on how hard and dry the tree is ? Looks like extra work to me. What do I know, i still use steel in big wood or on steep slopes.

I don't understand that at all. From what I can see the only one that is going to do anything is the one in the back cut. Are the three below it just pounded into the stump like it looks? They must be made of a lot better plastic than the ones I have. Or are those bore cuts?

Last edited:
I would assume that the three bottom wedges are bore cut. The caption under the photo read that you can get 1" of lift out of each wedge when fully pounded in. For that to work though, the between the wedges would have to break or at least flex alot to be able to drive the wedges in the whole way. To me looks like alot of extra work.

Yeah, that doesn't look effective to me. I rarely have to stack, but when I have it has been with short multiple back cuts. It's been awhile, but I had a stand of dead and dying pines that had suffered hail damage, but survived hurricane gustav somewhere around baton rogue. These weren't but maybe 16" dbh trees, give or take a few, that I was able to drop where I wanted them using a similar technique. Usually one or two would do it, but I sometimes would use three. The brush was too thick to consider using ropes to put them where you wanted them, unless you absolutely had to.

I can see using a bore cut to get your penetration, and then cutting a shallow backcut to enable your lift though. I think I may have done that on a couple of them where the shallow backcuts couldn't be made deep enough.

With this technique, you can get 4" of lift with 4 wedges in one fell swoop. Otherwise you would need 7 wedges at least, a stack of 3 before you can set your 4.

Bore cut in to set your lower wedges, and the wood will break out as you drive them allowing the lift to proceed.

With this technique, you can get 4" of lift with 4 wedges in one fell swoop. Otherwise you would need 7 wedges at least, a stack of 3 before you can set your 4.

Bore cut in to set your lower wedges, and the wood will break out as you drive them allowing the lift to proceed.

Are you guessing? That's what I guessed too.

I have never seen that technique before but if I need two inches or more lift I use a jack or set a pull line or a combo of wedges and a line.

I do this from time to time. It works and you get some more lift. a line doesn't hurt either but if you're logging in the woods this is a great technique.

Latest posts

Back