Zama/Walbro small carb rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theoldwizard1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First everyone on the web knows all of the 2 stroke power equipment guys hang out here, so that is why I am asking this question here !

I'm a shade tree mechanic who like to play with small engines. Mower, tiller, blowers, etc. There are plenty of cheap small 2 stroke that won't start just because the carb is gummed up. Removal, disassembly and a soak overnight in ChemDip solves many (most?) problems. (Of course, check the air filter and muffler/exhaust port as well as the fuel lines.)

My problem is reassembling the carb.

Fat fingers, tiny parts don't work well together. Specifically, getting the needle, rocker (metering lever), shaft (metering lever pin) and (metering lever) spring in to their proper positions and then tightening down the screw that holds them. I'm guessing that this design is common on a lot of 2 stroke engine, including some saws.

Any tips, other than find some one with tiny fingers (my granddaughters should be great at this when they are about 5-7 :msp_rolleyes: )

i have the same problem! practice and patience is all that has worked for me and a pair of tweesers to hold down the pin!

There is a video on this web site that may help. Keep your work area clean. If something flys or falls, it may be easier to find. I usually put the needle in and then put the pivot pin and lever in place. I then start the screw a turn or so to lock the screw in. I then flip up the lever and carefully place the spring in place with a tweezers. If the lever has a hole in it I will guide the lever over the spring using the toothpick thru the hole holding the spring in place. I then finish tightening the screw.

Tillotson

The first time I tried it I chased the spring around the shop a half dozen times. Accidentally stumbled on the method RES uses by trial and error. Start screw, lift lever, insert spring into hole in carb body, push spring gently onto nipple on lever.

Good luck:rock:

BTW: My big fingers also suck when doing this kind of work. I once knew a mechanic that let his finger nails grow so he could handle small parts.

The Vasoline does keep the spring from jumping out of the well, A trick I have used before but forgotten.

Flipping the lever over so the dimple is down, resting on the center of the spring. helps a lot more. Too many days (3) between disassembly and reassembly.

It's he!! getting old, but it beats the alternative !!

Back