First Chainsaw - Need Help Deciding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fracops

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm getting a chainsaw for myself and I know I want something more in the mid size range I suppose 55-70cc probably closer to 60-70. I went around to a few dealers and the two that caught my attention were the Stihl 391 and Echo 600. So far from what I`ve read is that the Stihl is a farmer grade saw and the echo regards itself as a pro saw but doesn`t quite make the cut of stihl and husky; but is superior to the 391. From holding the two I found the Echo has a better balance then the Stihl.

I should mention it`s not going to get used a lot currently but when I do want it to work I want it to work great. I`m younger weight of the saw is not my primary concern either although I know it does make a difference. In the future it may get used a lot more, considerably if I end up on an acreage.

Your experience and knowledge is greatly appreciated.

I would check out the stihl 440 and the husky 372 xp. Both are 70cc and are good all around saws. Pretty light and will take care of most trees that you'll run into.

The 391 is'nt one of my faves. Just too heavy for the power it makes. Never had any experience with Echo. I run Stihl and Husqvarna and have never had a reason to be concerned with any other brand except dolmar. The Dolmar 7900 is a great saw too. I would check them out also.

My but you came to the right place as far as opinions go. I'd say get the saw that feels best in your hands as in the 50cc to 70cc range you certainly have a lot to choose from. From your two choices I'd go with the Echo... check out blsnelling's video of what the CS-600P is capable of. The thing just rips! Get ready as I suspect you're going to get a lot of varying opinions. :msp_smile:

Yeah I did see that video. My father did some professional cutting with the military probably about 20 years ago and has some great advice but technology has changed alot since then. He was telling me it needs to have an inertia kick-back brake, and a chain catcher. How can I find out if they have those? I know the Echo has the best warranty out there and mixed reviews on how good the warranty is.

Don't know what you price range is, and don't know the amount of cutting you are going to do. You can get a better deal on a good quality used saw, and with nominal hours and good maintenance it will still last a lifetime. Like what was said above, the 372xp is an excellent saw. A good used one can be had for less than $500.

Yeah I did see that video. My father did some professional cutting with the military probably about 20 years ago and has some great advice but technology has changed alot since then. He was telling me it needs to have an inertia kick-back brake, and a chain catcher. How can I find out if they have those? I know the Echo has the best warranty out there and mixed reviews on how good the warranty is.

All new saws have those safety features, they have to by law.

That echo CS-600p in the video is mine and it does run really great. Brad did a fantastic job on it. The other possibility is to buy the Makita 6421 with the BB kit from Bailey's. I believe both the 84cc NPW and the Mahle 79cc kits are available in a package deal from Bailey's.

Love my Makita 6401!

A lot of guys steered me in that direction when I was looking a year or 2 ago. Can't say I have any regrets... The best thing I like is that you can find them cheap off Home Depot rental Dept. and you can get a OEM cylinder upgrade to make it a 7900 if you need more power! I've used mine like crazy ever since I got it and would definatly get another if a cheap one were to come along. I've run some other sizable sthil's but prefer my Makita.

PS: the makita 6401 is the same as the Dolmar 6400. Pro grade saw and power for $$$ it's one of the best values.

You should check out the Husqvarna 555. I have one and it is a fantastic saw. You can research it here on AS. Check out mweba's thread.

Ok, so I'm getting a chainsaw for myself and I know I want something more in the mid size range I suppose 55-70cc probably closer to 60-70. I went around to a few dealers and the two that caught my attention were the Stihl 391 and Echo 600. So far from what I`ve read is that the Stihl is a farmer grade saw and the echo regards itself as a pro saw but doesn`t quite make the cut of stihl and husky; but is superior to the 391. From holding the two I found the Echo has a better balance then the Stihl.

I should mention it`s not going to get used a lot currently but when I do want it to work I want it to work great. I`m younger weight of the saw is not my primary concern either although I know it does make a difference. In the future it may get used a lot more, considerably if I end up on an acreage.

Yes; the STIHL MS 391 is considered a farmer's saw, it's built a little different than their Pro saw, the MS 440, because the farmer isn't concerned about certain features that professionals demand in their saws. That said, the MS 391 is no slouch by any means. Brand names have a tendency to influence purchasing decisions along with peer pressure, no matter what they know or don't know about the product. My son has a 70cc John Deere saw, and he thinks highly of it.

Yes; the STIHL MS 391 is considered a farmer's saw, it's built a little different than their Pro saw, the MS 440, because the farmer isn't concerned about certain features that professionals demand in their saws. That said, the MS 391 is no slouch by any means. Brand names have a tendency to influence purchasing decisions along with peer pressure, no matter what they know or don't know about the product. My son has a 70cc John Deere saw, and he thinks highly of it.

Man, I love that Deere your son has. The 1st time I saw it I mentioned to you how sharp it looked. :msp_thumbup:

I agree with Ambull, and shop here for used, avoid Ebay. I would say Also craisgslist, but it seems you are learning, and wouldnt want to see you get taken, not knowing what to look for, with a used saw inspection. There are alot of trustworthy members here selling good used sawss. Anyshine I agree all have the safety stuff mentioned LOL! You beat me to the punch. Allmentioned so far, to me mid size is a 70cc saw, and capable of limbing, and firewood, up to being capable of large stuff. To me with the higher saw prices, getting a 20in size saw first is a mistake. Get a midsize saw that is an all arounder first, and get the fill in's, and inbetweener's later. Meaning 70cc is one of the best all around saw's. A smaller saw may leave you short in bigger stuff, while the 70cc saw can handle a fair amount of mid to big stuff, and evrything small too. And if you find youre self getting into real big stuff alot later, ad a 395, or 660. Then you will still have the midsaw for smaller stuff too.

Sorry, but you seem to be on the wrong track, with the models you are shortlisting....:givebeer:

Take a look at the 365/2165/2166 or the Dolmar/Makita 6400/6401. That will take you much closer to true pro saws, without too much price premium.

Also look at the 60cc Husky 555, as a lighter alternative.

Last edited:

1: Choose a good dealer that you like and that wants to help you get a saw that fits your needs - and that will be there for service and repairs in the future.

2: Pick a model in your desired size from whatever brand he sells and make sure it feels good in your hands.

3: Ask to make a few cuts with it to make sure you like how it accelerates and how much you can lean on it - or how much you can't... This might not be all that important if this is your first saw, because then you'll probably adjust to how the saw works.

Whether this makes your saw a Stihl 361/362, Husqvarna 357/359/555 or an Echo CS-600 is of lesser importance - either way it will be a great tool for you! The rest is just CAD and opinions coming from CAD...

Can't say anything about the saws you looked at, but if you liked how the Echo felt it might just be the one for you.

The new Stihl 440 is real good, though might be a bit bigger than what you need. It'll take a while to break in I think. Those big saws start of kinda... slow... to my reckoning, so you have to use 'em... a lot... to break 'em in. They'll go forever.

This is probably smaller than you want, but I love my Stihl MS270C. Decent power to weight ratio. Low vibe. It has enough power to cut about anything I want to mess with but light weight enough I don't get worn out working with it. I can use that thing all day. I'm not even sure they make the 270 anymore... :(

Ok 600 range, then I would go with whats mentoined before. Used one 70cc class, iIm just rolling the dice but bet there is a few in the A.S classifieds. Get talked inot smaller, and within the first week or so it will be, hey this saw rips, and is great!. Couple months go by you get into bigger wood, and it will be hey guy's how can I upgrade, and get more power? Trust me. Second picture 044 in 5 foot oak, with just a dual port muffler. Will I grab the 044 over the 66 in wood that size? No but the 044 got me by for a long time until I could afford a 660. And I dindnt complain to much in the mean time. 70cc dude.

Hey guys do I just tried 391 a guy I work with has and it did not impress me at all. I think the chain was slightly dull but there was a bit of binding going on with this little 8 inch tree and the thing bogged out. Needless to say I think I want more power then that thing puts out for sure. Oh and I live in Canada if that makes a difference

Back