Poulan guru's - did I hit gold?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guido Salvage

Supreme Saw Whoreder
Reaction score
As some of you may have seen, I picked up a bunch of saws from a long time shop on Wednesday.

showthread.php

EMsaws003.jpg

One of them is a Dayton 4Z252 powerhead that the recoil shows to have been equipped with a 24" bar. Since Dayton is distributed by W.W. Grainger, I called them for information on the saw. Unfortunately, it is too old to be listed in their books any longer. I pulled the muffler and the piston looks good but it will need fuel lines.

Dayton4Z252004.jpg

Dayton4Z252006.jpg

This saw look exactly like my 5200 and has a metal filter cover that has the side screws rather then the top screw like the 3400's and my 5200. Does anyone know how to tell what model this is without pulling the jug?

In addition, I got another saw that appears to be built on the same chassis but is probably a 4900 based on the recoil that was in the box of parts. Unfortunately, the rear handle is broken so it will take a new tank assembly as well as a carb to get it going.

Dayton4Z252008.jpg

Dayton4Z252009.jpg

I called the shop owner and he said that he got them at least 10 years ago and knows nothing about them but seemed excited I might be able to get at least one of them running.

Here are the new acquisitions posing with my 5200.

Dayton4Z252010.jpg

what McCulloch is that, over by the Reed-Prentice?

Edit:

From one of his other threads on this score...They're a 1-40 and a 1-50. Both have full wraps...:cheers:

I was eying them for the full wrap bars (need one for the 'standard' 250). Somebody in another thread called 'dibs' on 'em already. I was also seriously thinking about that Homelite Super E-Z nearby them with the bar cover (and whatever bars he has in that stack that'd fit an E-Z as my 'current' S E-Z needs one). Yep.......I want it. Damn CAD....:D

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=164314

Last edited:
Actually, I think the Reed-Prentice is gold, along with that Lombard? up front with the West Bend engine...

Is that a lombard? I thought sure that one was a big hoffco. It caught my eye as well. I just tracked down one of those Mac full wraps for my 550 or I would be drooling over those too. Those 5200/and family are nice saws. I just finished building one and I like em. Nice score all around.

Edit:

From one of his other threads on this score...They're a 1-40 and a 1-50. Both have full wraps...:cheers:

I was eying them for the full wrap bars (need one for the 'standard' 250). Somebody in another thread called 'dibs' on 'em already. I was also seriously thinking about that Homelite Super E-Z nearby them with the bar cover (and whatever bars he has in that stack that'd fit an E-Z as my 'current' S E-Z needs one). Yep.......I want it. Damn CAD....:D

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=164314

If I recall correctly, I'm that "somebody" :) RandyMac, don't freak out, if I can't afford one of them, you're next in line. (I probably have much less money than you, I suspect you graduated college a long time ago) :cheers:

Thanks guys, after sorting through what I got I think I came out okay.

"Chainsaw Picker"
Strikes Again !!

I got lucky as the shop owner had only told me about the saws that he had on the shelf. He named a price that I thought I might need to ####er on when I asked him if he had any other saws. He pointed out the Dayton, the three boxes of Poulans and the bars, so at that point I agreed to his price.

Dayton 4Z252 crosses with a Poulan 5200

Exactly what I wanted to hear!

Actually, I think the Reed-Prentice is gold, along with that Lombard? up front with the West Bend engine...

The saw up front is the Hoffco.

set anchor, any of them saws start?

Hadn't had a chance to try any of them, but did pull the muffler on the Dayton and the piston looks great.

That 4900 really needs to come see me. I have everything it needs to make it happy.

Care to help a fellow out????

Is that a lombard? I thought sure that one was a big hoffco. It caught my eye as well. I just tracked down one of those Mac full wraps for my 550 or I would be drooling over those too. Those 5200/and family are nice saws. I just finished building one and I like em. Nice score all around.

The blue powerhead to the center right is a Hoffco. The Lombard is in the middle sporting a Homelite bar.

How about someone just send me a 5200 or a hijack may take place. All this talk of them and I feel left out :msp_sad:

To be dead honest, I really hope to stumble upon a warehouse full of saws, some NOS, some good to go to work, and some parts. I also hope there is a lifetime supply of NOS parts. Unfortunately, that is very highly unlikely. (notice I did not say impossible; it's quite improbable, though)

I would love to send out free saws to everyone, but obviously, very few people get what they want. Those rich assed stingy bastards are all alike, they think we can afford to go on ski trips every weekend, and buy an Audi Allroad for 24 grand, and afford the $4200 replacement cost of the auto trans in that said Audi. They really think that way, the majority of them anyway. If I won the lottery for 10 million, I would donate about 4 million in various ways (meaning saws for you guys, and food for people that really need to eat) and share some of the rest with my family, and buy myself some nice cars and trucks, and maybe a big boat. :cheers: I swear that if I won serious money like that, I will not be hoarding it. 10 million is more than enough for me. :cheers:

dayton chainsaw

Dayton 4Z252 is very rare!I love that chainsaw, but it is almost impossible to see her pictures on the Net!:bowdown::help:

Define "chainsaw gold" plz. Do you mean they are rare, fun to restore, worth money, or what?

Latest posts

Back