Dolmar Chainsaws, looking to import one down under are they any good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dolmar down under

I have been using a PS 7300 for a couple of years,good saw no issues at all.That being said,what happens if you break a clutch or chain brake handle in OZ?Shipping costs and time waiting for parts could be an issue.

True that, somthing that did cross me mind aye! I have a smaller Stihl (036 or 039 from memory) Im looking for a forestry grade saw, somthing that has the HP to turn a decent sized chain without too much hassle. what this feller said about Dolmar peaked my interest. I was looking at either a Husky XP grade saw or a Stihl Magnum, thought Id suss out Dolmar, parts tarnsit wouldnt be too bad as long as avalible I guess, could probably get it shipped out of the U.S.A. and landed here in a fortnight or so....

Dolmars are well built reliable saws that last a long time. There are other members on this site from down under that own Dolmars or Macs that are relabeled Dolmars.

If you set them up right, they will run with any Stihl or Husky. Makita also has a line that is a Dolmar saw re-labeled. I think Makita purchased Dolmar, but the Dolmar people are still doing the designing.

I have a PS-5105 with an 18" bar. I love it so far. Easy as pie to start, not too bad on gas or bar oil...

Dolmar is making some of the best saws in their class right now.
The 420, 510, 5105, 6400 and 7900 are as good as ANY equivalent saw from ANY manufacturer.

Mike

Since 1984 I've bought 9 Stihls, 7 of them pro saws, no longer own a one of them and don't see myself ever owning another one. I've bought 7 huskies, all pro saws, still own 4 of them. I would probably buy another one. I have bought 3 Dolmars, all pro saws, I still own all three. I will definatley buy more Dolmars. They are tough, dependable saws. 'Nuff said.

Hi Rick,
Dont know exactly where you are,but there is a dealer in Wodonga.
Kevin Hobbs 23 High st....seems to know his stuff and a nice guy. And yes from what i have heard they are a great saw.

Hope that helps
Cheers Dave

Meant to say he is a Makita dealer..same thing.

4-5100's, 1-510 w5100 cyl., 2 Dolmak 6401 BBK's and Solo 781(same saw as7900 Dolmar with longer stroke). Dolmar saws are awesome. Got lots of Husky saws. I would have a hard time giving up my Dolmars. Need a Husky PM me (Not really just makin a point).
Shep

4-5100's, 1-510 w5100 cyl., 2 Dolmak 6401 BBK's and Solo 781(same saw as7900 Dolmar with longer stroke). Dolmar saws are awesome. Got lots of Husky saws. I would have a hard time giving up my Dolmars. Need a Husky PM me (Not really just makin a point).
Shep

I was wondering when you were going to "flog" those "dogs" :msp_scared:

HA..HA.... just pullin' your leg Shep !!

Steve

heheheh Im hearing some ringing endorsements here! Sounds good as! The local Hardware here sells Poulan, McCulloch & Talon, we have 2 small engine dealers that sell: Husky, Stihl, Victa, Morrison, cub cadet, honda, sanli, masport & komatsu, Someone was saying that Poulan & McCulloch are out of the same factory as Dolmar-Sachs.

heheheh Im hearing some ringing endorsements here! Sounds good as! The local Hardware here sells Poulan, McCulloch & Talon, we have 2 small engine dealers that sell: Husky, Stihl, Victa, Morrison, cub cadet, honda, sanli, masport & komatsu, Someone was saying that Poulan & McCulloch are out of the same factory as Dolmar-Sachs.

Somebody doesn't have a clue what they are talking about and should learn to keep their mouth shut or get it MASHED!!!
That kind of mis-information is what makes it so hard to know what is true and what is Bulls hit!!!

Mike

dolmar saw are sold in aus under the makita brand. any tool shop(bunnings, total tools etc) CAN order any saw you choose, i got my makita 7901(dolmar 7900 but blue) through my local total tools

What model are you looking at in particular? The pro grade saws are available aus wide easily. Cheap off ebay. Can be ordered through bunnings too but much more expensive. I bought a Dolmar/Makita DCS6401 for $749.00 delivered.

I have just phoned Kevin Hobbs in Wodonga. I am heading up there on Saturday to check them out! Thansk for all the help folks! keep the info rolling please, what models to avoid etc...thanks again!

Makita Model is DC S9010.....the big hooer.

Last edited:
Howdy Rick, the new Makita DCS7911 should be available in the first quarter of 2012. It's an upgraded 7901 with a lighter piston for enhanced engine performance along with other features.

Back