Another New Guy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbowman871

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just jumping in to say Hello for the first time. Been lerking here for awhile and have learned alot in just a few short weeks. All of my wood will be for camping, when I can. My stack will most likley not get past 4 cords. I have a Stihl 021 right now with a 16 inch bar. I'm debating on either putting a 18-20 inch bar on it, but I'm not confident that the motor will produce a good cut with that. Ideas and feedback welcome on that.

Thanks

I would say no

Just jumping in to say Hello for the first time. Been lerking here for awhile and have learned alot in just a few short weeks. All of my wood will be for camping, when I can. My stack will most likley not get past 4 cords. I have a Stihl 021 right now with a 16 inch bar. I'm debating on either putting a 18-20 inch bar on it, but I'm not confident that the motor will produce a good cut with that. Ideas and feedback welcome on that.

Thanks

Hi! Welcome. I have no direct experience with that saw, but at only 35 CCs, I'd say no on going to any larger bars. Just keep the chain cutters sharp, adjust raker/depth gauge correctly, and let the saw do the work.

I cut a lot with a 36 cc husky and a 16 fits it fine, but I sure wouldn't want to run anything longer than that.

The Stihl guys here will chime in, but I see mention of the stihl RSC chain a lot, might look to using loops of that.

Hey new guy -- welcome to AS. Plenty of good information and great people here. I am not personally familiar with the 021, but thinking a 35cc saw may not perform very well with more than a 16" b/c combo. Keep your chain(s) sharp and maybe think about a muffler mod (see Chainsaw forum) and it will wake up the saw and give you a few extra RPM's -- certainly enough to manage camp fire wood.

i have a 20"bar on my 290 and its a dog with that setup. couldn't imagine running a 20" on an 021.

Welcome!

Four cords for camping??? Dang, you must do a LOT of camping, and from what I've seen here in the midwest, camping just ain't worth it. Go to the Rocky mountains for some good camping. Just watch out for Woodboogas. It's a vile breed of creature that will get you when your back is turned (and your pants down, usually!)

Welcome!

Four cords for camping??? Dang, you must do a LOT of camping, and from what I've seen here in the midwest, camping just ain't worth it. Go to the Rocky mountains for some good camping. Just watch out for Woodboogas. It's a vile breed of creature that will get you when your back is turned (and your pants down, usually!)

Yes, I do alot of camping. 65 nights so far this year, but season is over and time to cut more wood. I usally burn 2 cords a year. The other 2 will be seasoning for upcoming camping.

Welcome newbie. Does Stihl even make a saw capable of pulling a bigger bar than 16 inches?:msp_w00t:Time for a Dolmar 7900, everyone needs one just for campfire wood collecting! Have fun learning on the site.

Welocme to the site. Sent ya some new guy rep. If you want to run a longer bar you need a bigger saw. Something in the 60 or so cc range.

Get yourself a bigger saw if you want a bigger bar. I go by the rule of another 10cc on top of what you have gains 2" in bar length

30-40cc saw....12,14, and 16" bars
40-50cc saw....12-18" bars
50-60cc saw....16-20" bars
60-70cc saw....18-24" bars

This is the rule of thumb I follow, I'm sure some may dispute this. I have found in 20+ years of running saws this works well without putting too much strain on a saw.

Jeff

Get yourself a bigger saw if you want a bigger bar. I go by the rule of another 10cc on top of what you have gains 2" in bar length

30-40cc saw....12,14, and 16" bars
40-50cc saw....12-18" bars
50-60cc saw....16-20" bars
60-70cc saw....18-24" bars

This is the rule of thumb I follow, I'm sure some may dispute this. I have found in 20+ years of running saws this works well without putting too much strain on a saw.
Jeff

There are some models that are truly special, but as a rule-of-thumb, this is sage advice.:msp_thumbup:

Hey new guy -- welcome to AS. Plenty of good information and great people here. I am not personally familiar with the 021, but thinking a 35cc saw may not perform very well with more than a 16" b/c combo. Keep your chain(s) sharp and maybe think about a muffler mod (see Chainsaw forum) and it will wake up the saw and give you a few extra RPM's -- certainly enough to manage camp fire wood.

You'd be amazed at how restrictive most small engine (hell ANY engine thanks to the good 'ole EPA) exhausts are. Search the Chainsaw forum, as I don't remember the suggested ratio of muffler area to opening area for best performance, re-tune (rich-en to avoid a lean condition) and grin from there!

Welcome to the site and good luck when CAD sets in, for you, your wife (if applicable) and your bank account's sake!

This is a little Jewel of a Saw. She may be little, but she's proud of how tuff she is, and shows it too.:D
poulan-lovers-group-picture207458.JPG

Back