Partner Chainsaw Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
seals

Thanks Duane so the P55 is different than the S55 for pulling the seals. I'm have the seals for my S55 are they the same as the P55. I don't have a IPL are Workshop manual for either saws anymore, my computer crashed awhile back and lost alot of downloaded material. Where do you get your seals from, Thanks again.

The p55 is different on replacement the flywheel side as the oiler is different but the seal is in the same place in the retainer, so really no different, the clutch side is the same. I order mine from Searsdirect or baileys, takes 1-2 weeks, but its fairly standard all Partners are the same including K650/700 so whole cheap gasket kits on eBay are less than $20. If its just occasional use saw there fine but everyday saw I'd buy OEM, I have used them without issues but the seals are always different lookin.

I can email you the IPL and workshop manual if needed, just PM me your email.

I have a chance at what is suppose to be a running Partner 5000 plus but it has none of the original markings left, the biggest thing I am interested in is the OEM closed port top end. Wondering if there is anyway to know for 100% this is a 5000 plus without being able to actually have the saw in my hands? I know there was a regular 5000 and I believe a 500 that looked very similar, it not identical. Did the other models also have a closed port top end? This could boil down to a buy it and hope for the best situation, after all there would be no way to know if someone had swapped a open port top end onto the saw.

IIRC The 5000 use the tiny tappered seat spark plug like a 500 but the 5000+ uses the normal saw plug, you can tell by looking at the seat/thread area of the cylinder.

IIRC The 5000 use the tiny tappered seat spark plug like a 500 but the 5000+ uses the normal saw plug, you can tell by looking at the seat/thread area of the cylinder.

I never payed attention to that before. I think that is an age thing. I just checked six 5000+ cylinders and it was 50/50, 3 were tapered and 3 were not. The later production ones had the tapered seat also.

IMG_4379.jpg

IMG_4381.jpg

Partner S50

I need a part number for a recoil spring for a Partner S50. Are there any online parts diagrams to look this up? Does anyone know the number and or have the correct spring?

Heres the part number 505 295 108. Look on Ebay or Chainsawr, you should be able to find one there. Any of the S series should work.

I need a part number for a recoil spring for a Partner S50. Are there any online parts diagrams to look this up? Does anyone know the number and or have the correct spring?

PM sent, I got one for you not too far from home.

S-55

Well I was able to pull of the washer sleve off of my S-55 with heat and pry bars, without destroying it. Now on to my P-55. one of my S-55's and my P-55 will be getting new washers and crank seals.

Partner seals

Well I was able to pull of the washer sleve off of my S-55 with heat and pry bars, without destroying it. Now on to my P-55. one of my S-55's and my P-55 will be getting new washers and crank seals.

NICE!!!!! I broke the washer on my OLD R something today, was being very careful but its old mid sixties or older so oh well. Did you notice that the seal really seals on the crank lip inside the case and the washer and sleeve are a dust seal on the outside!!!! I have started putting my seals in an additional 10-20 thousands to do seals not all being the same. The washer face is used to seal the sprocket bearing, I have broke them and still used them, just need to grease/clean bearing more often, no biggy as Partners drilled the shaft!!!!

Nice job though!!! there easy to change really.

P-55

I just pulled the seal and washer sleve on my P-55 on the clutch side, and installed it back together about 20 min ago. It still needs the flywheel side as its still running funny. I use two pry bars and some heat and they came fairly easy. I had a harder time removeing the seal. Used the screw to remove it. I think I will sink the seals alittle deeper next time. I used the old washer, I have some more seals and washers coming from Baileys. I would like to split the case on one of my old S55's and install new bearings and seals, new piston and rings. Never split a case before. I wonder if a k650 piston and cylinder would work on my P-55.

Last edited:
P55

I just pulled the seal and washer sleve on my P-55 on the clutch side, and installed it back together about 20 min ago. It still needs the flywheel side as its still running funny. I use two pry bars and some heat and they came fairly easy. I had a harder time removeing the seal. Used the screw to remove it. I think I will sink the seals alittle deeper next time. I used the old washer, I have some more seals and washers coming from Baileys. I would like to split the case on one of my old S55's and install new bearings and seals, new piston and rings. Never split a case before. I wonder if a k650 piston and cylinder would work on my P-55.

Well I tell you this, a K650/700 cylinder will NOT fit any S/F/R series that I've tried, it is supposed to fit a P55 and P70 but I have two P70's one fits one doesn't. measure your P55 case opening, I posted sizes few week back on this thread about this. I will also say!!!! DO NOT USE CHINA/ non oem K series garbage!!!!!!!! tried it, junk not right!!!!! pistons were flat top, oem domed, pistons comp hieght .020 lower not even counting dome!!!! I installed it what a terd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ultra low compression. I have a K650 I used to compare it too, got rid of the cylinder still have the piston, "crap". stick with your Partner parts, there dead reliable, find a R series 65mm cylinder/piston for it, closed port. Hell I trade yah a good 48mm open port nice 65 cylinder for a P55 cylinder thats good. My best power is with old R series 48mm divided ports cylinders.

Partner 55 piston differences

Just picked up my Partner parts saw I got from Mastermind off eBay, unkown model but newer 55, 44mm saw, S55 or S50???? semi pro
Anyway: piston that came out of it is FLAT TOP!!! this is the first flat top old school piston I have ran across in any size. (55,65, 70, 85)
The cylinder is open port but I compared it to my other cylinders and is the same cc chamber, and height. squish is the same on the outside edge. The dome is huge on the oem Partner F55/R series. This is a OEM Mahle with correct #'s

So Partner lowered the compression on newer models, the cylinders cc wise and height are the same open or closed but all are domed, until now!!!!!!!
This may explain my difficulty starting some of my saws. (kick back) manual states 9:1 for all years but that can't be!!!! 9:1 for flat top?

Just passin it on

P-55

So your saying don't use aftermarket piston and cylinder kits for my partners. Can you even get oem kits anymore. The piston on my P-55 is dommed.Thanks.

Partner Parts

So your saying don't use aftermarket piston and cylinder kits for my partners. Can you even get oem kits anymore. The piston on my P-55 is dommed.Thanks.

Well its your money, I wont touch anymore non OEM kits EVER!!!!!! You can buy oem P70 50mm pistons for like $60.00 from Baileys or Searsdirect but not cylinders. (may be able too haven't checked lately) You may be ok with a aftermarket decomp K650 cylinder and a oem P70 piston but not sure. I dont buy them at all, everytime they are poor quality and can't be trusted. Plus there low compression, I bought a aftermarket K650 setup and it was flatop piston, huge open chamber cylinder, had NO power, my 55cc partners where better. Changed back to OEM domed piston, oem P70 cylinder and screams!!!!!!!!!!!
If $80.00 for a kit sounds too good to be true? thats because it is!!!! but it will run for $80.00
I'll send a few pics later of a new aftermarket piston and NOS p70 piston.

The oem partner p70 and k650/700 pistons are one in the same, Domed, but have the ring alignment pins in different locations.

I can find very little power difference between 65cc and 70cc Partners, I think my F65 has more really, lots of cylinders changes through the years.

P-55

Thanks, what about the partner 7000 is that just a 70 cc saw or bigger.So basically no one is making oem pistons for the partners and the off brands are not good quality, low compression etc. I wonder if a husky P/C would work. Just a thought.

Partners

Thanks, what about the partner 7000 is that just a 70 cc saw or bigger.So basically no one is making oem pistons for the partners and the off brands are not good quality, low compression etc. I wonder if a husky P/C would work. Just a thought.

Partner still has Partner P70/7000/650/7000 pistons through Baileys etc. 48mm and 44mm (NO), others might work, cylinders DO NOT interchange with Husky on older models of P55 S55 s50 s65 etc. These all have domed pistons making it harded, BUT I have one thats not!!! Husky 61/66 pistons are same as the flatop one I have. You could use another Husky piston in a pinch but I will say this:

HOLD OUT FOR OEM NOS Partner Parts!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your head aches will arise, Partner parts are over engineered, heavy, slow, but not lacking power, lots of low end torgue, 55cc saws pull square skip chain on a 18" bar all day at 9000rpms,
The NOS oem parts show up monthly on eBay, and on here, I collected one of every size in the last few months. ($20.00-60.00) I see NOS Partner cylinders and pistons for sale all the time. If you have a P70 or P55 any cylinder/piston should fit. (dont hold me too that). I have 65 cylinders, pistons. I bought NOS ones and now more 7000 plus saws coming so might have extra P/C if someone "really" needs one. (only 48mm 65cc used) check on the IPLs and then Baileys or sears they show up.

P7000 plus models are newer TWEEKED P70 50mm, 70cc just bore change from other models.

P-55

Well changed out the seals on my P-55, but still have the saw over revving when saw is held in different positions, could it be possible the new seals are leaking.Im kind of stumped at this point. any ideas what it could be, cracked case?. I might just put the closed port on my S-55 and see what happens.

I had to modify the A/F on my r440t as I couldn't find a replacement as they are NLA, anyhow the throttle rod was binding on the filter housing when the saw was flipped on the side, might want to check it out.

P55 over reving

Check the linkage and if it looks good---the only other thing to check is the carbuertor block. I have seen the medal inserts sticking out past the block and when filed down flat, would seal up and run right. As you file you can see the high and low spots---just keep filing until its level. I check all of them now as a matter of course.

Partner still has Partner P70/7000/650/7000 pistons through Baileys etc. 48mm and 44mm (NO), others might work, cylinders DO NOT interchange with Husky on older models of P55 S55 s50 s65 etc. These all have domed pistons making it harded, BUT I have one thats not!!! Husky 61/66 pistons are same as the flatop one I have. You could use another Husky piston in a pinch but I will say this:

HOLD OUT FOR OEM NOS Partner Parts!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your head aches will arise, Partner parts are over engineered, heavy, slow, but not lacking power, lots of low end torgue, 55cc saws pull square skip chain on a 18" bar all day at 9000rpms,
The NOS oem parts show up monthly on eBay, and on here, I collected one of every size in the last few months. ($20.00-60.00) I see NOS Partner cylinders and pistons for sale all the time. If you have a P70 or P55 any cylinder/piston should fit. (dont hold me too that). I have 65 cylinders, pistons. I bought NOS ones and now more 7000 plus saws coming so might have extra P/C if someone "really" needs one. (only 48mm 65cc used) check on the IPLs and then Baileys or sears they show up.

P7000 plus models are newer TWEEKED P70 50mm, 70cc just bore change from other models.

As far as I know, the 70cc R16 based Partners were 70.7cc. The strongest of them (regarding max power) were the P7000 Plus, that was rated at 3.5 kW/4.7 hp. It was claimed to be 15% stronger than the earlier ones, in the brochure.

P55 idle

Well changed out the seals on my P-55, but still have the saw over revving when saw is held in different positions, could it be possible the new seals are leaking.Im kind of stumped at this point. any ideas what it could be, cracked case?. I might just put the closed port on my S-55 and see what happens.

Well like others said check the intake block!!! seen lots of cracked ones, and warped ones. I have a couple Partners that wander at idle when pointed down then back up fast, but not bad, tried all the usual stuff NO change. The cases are NOT known issues at all, they are rare to have an issue.
Its most likely the CARB throttle shaft,(loose/worn shafts move side to side) or intake block.

NOW THE TRUTH!!!! I have changed seals because I could, or thought I should, BUT I have never seen a bad seal on any Partner!!!!

DO you have a governer on your carb? some do some don't, brass screw flywheel side of carb? there a big issue too. You could always swap your carbs to see if thats it too!!!

Back