372xpw vs 372xtorq vs 7900 felling saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A man gets the right tooth ache and theres not a pain med made that will even touch it. Its a heckuva lot better to go to the dentist IMHO.

I think stumpys 288 is north of 200 by a decent bit. The ones I ran are sort of like the 660 to the 390. The 288 has more grunt but the 390 seems to have a little more speed but can't be leaned on as much. The av isn't as nice as the newer 390 either.

Torque - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is torque. Without torque, a saw can do zero work. Any time a turning force is applied, it can be measured in torque, often measured in ft lbs. In fact, the basic principles of distance and angular speed determine which pin sprockets you will use for your saw - you are determining how much torque you want on a given saw set up, not how much HP you want. In a piston engine, HP can remain constant, but torque can be manipulated via gearing, levers, etc. A saw has to be able to apply torque to make use of whatever HP it has. I have used more than a couple ported saws in all types of wood, and I notice it when they lack torque. Cutting cookies is one thing, but chasing cuts, fighting a pinch, bore cutting, gunked up wood, leaning trees, dulled chain, etc etc all require the saw have torque and not just top end HP, unless you want to use a light touch(which means it lacks torque). In many saws, torque comes along with uprated HP, but porters like Simon know where that torque needs to be for a saw that will see use other than cookies. Porters like him get feedback from folks that use their saws for work. I think it's more accurate to say that when a saw has a broad powerband that it has good torque.

You explained it better than I did. I didn't mean to suggest that the torque isn't there doing the work, just that it's spread accross a wider power band with the new XT

You explained it better than I did. I didn't mean to suggest that the torque isn't there doing the work, just that it's spread accross a wider power band with the new XT

....and its OH SO NICE at that!! :msp_smile: The 576AT of Mike's that I ran is a real Cadillac if you will.....

You owe it to yourself to check out an 372XT.

Light, nimble, much broader powerband than original 372xp, runs a lot longer between fuel fill ups also.

I bought my 372XT in April and am still very impressed with it's capabilities.

I know two pulpwood cutters in West Tennessee that use 372's six to seven hours a day cutting loblolly pine. They told me that the saws cut great but they couldn't keep screws in them. Evidently the Swedes have never heard of loctite.

I know two pulpwood cutters in West Tennessee that use 372's six to seven hours a day cutting loblolly pine. They told me that the saws cut great but they couldn't keep screws in them. Evidently the Swedes have never heard of loctite.

Well, for what its worth Jimmy, I really like the captive bar nuts on the 555. :rock:

Paul, I think this new generation of Husqvarna's have a lot more design in them and will put Husqvarna ahead of most saw makers. I would like to know what model is going to replace the 372.

I'll come here and toot the 372xpw's horn a little I guess. :D

I have logged with 660, 460 and 440 and have ran other big saws like 7900's and 390s 395s, etc.

Theres not a better balanced and feeling saw to log timber under 30" with than a 372xpw IMO. Now thats just out of the saws I've ran and I havent logged with a 7900 or a 441 or a 372xt, but I didnt like the feel of the 7900 in my hands. The power is definetly there though.

I've had my xpw for 6 months or so maybe. I figure a couple hundred tanks now and zero problems. It has a muffler mod and will really rip out the chips.

Most that have ran it agree that it's a natural hotrod though. Just one of the special ones. I have to agree with that also after running some regular 372s. It does have a muffler mod though.

I'll come here and toot the 372xpw's horn a little I guess. :D

I have logged with 660, 460 and 440 and have ran other big saws like 7900's and 390s 395s, etc.

Theres not a better balanced and feeling saw to log timber under 30" with than a 372xpw IMO. Now thats just out of the saws I've ran and I havent logged with a 7900 or a 441 or a 372xt, but I didnt like the feel of the 7900 in my hands. The power is definetly there though.

I've had my xpw for 6 months or so maybe. I figure a couple hundred tanks now and zero problems. It has a muffler mod and will really rip out the chips.

Most that have ran it agree that it's a natural hotrod though. Just one of the special ones. I have to agree with that also after running some regular 372s. It does have a muffler mod though.
Ok fine and in your opinion which one holds up the best and is the most trouble free of that group?

Latest posts

Back