Brrr its cold out..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garmins dad

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
At what temps do you guys stop cutting wood at? It's -17f and i'm thinking i have had enough.. :dizzy:

with the extended warm fall we seem to be having right now?? this am it was 9 above with 1.5" of snow . it felt like 10 below with a lite breeze so not today! tuesdays calling for 40 degs again through friday, so catch up then and hope to finish for the year!! ?? DID I SAY FINISH" ?? quick someone slap me please!!........ theres good easy cutting around here all winter if you can find a logger working his trade! warm days a $20.00 bill and a warm load of wood beats fighting the bush.. so unless its 20 below and a stiff 20 mph wind ? im cutting!! stay warm northern neighbor.

with the extended warm fall we seem to be having right now?? this am it was 9 above with 1.5" of snow . it felt like 10 below with a lite breeze so not today! tuesdays calling for 40 degs again through friday, so catch up then and hope to finish for the year!! ?? DID I SAY FINISH" ?? quick someone slap me please!!........ theres good easy cutting around here all winter if you can find a logger working his trade! warm days a $20.00 bill and a warm load of wood beats fighting the bush.. so unless its 20 below and a stiff 20 mph wind ? im cutting!! stay warm northern neighbor.

Being the first real cold day of the year, I think it's going to take a little getting used to. Might be a good day to work on some equipment.....in the shop.. ;)

true enough! need to move a couple projects to the side for now an get the snow plow mounted an in working order... them danged cobb webs never seem to go away even with it covered up(outa sight-outa mind).........

It usually is the amount of snow on the ground rather than temp's that keeps me from cutting and hauling wood. I can chain up and get into my property but to get to the national forest areas we usually cut in you would need some heavy equipment. Unless its getting logged, the snowmobilers are the only ones that get in much after turkey day.

Only 8 above and 8 to 10 inches of snow here this morning. Up at 5:00, raked the coals in the stove, threw in a few small pieces to keep the coals going. Connected the snow plow on the wheeler, cleaned the road. Changed the batt in the CRV and back in the house by 9:00

We cut wood as long as the snow isn't too deep and even then we'll knock down a few of the older oaks for next year. Once the ground freezes, I hope to be out pulling in some of those dead ash trees. Seems like the saw runs best when it's colder out and the wood is fun to split once it freezes.

Anything below freezing, rather cut wood at 50-degrees temp plus.I,ve been known to split and stack wood at 90 degree plus temps.It sure beats freezing your butt off....

Some of you stop cutting wood...?

Tell ya what. you come on up and visit.. Bring your saw.. Heck i'll supply one.. Just make sure your here between jan1st and march 1st.. its "nice" :dizzy: that time of year.. :msp_wink:

I usually put the saws on the shelve come the end of dec. start over in march.. To dang cold out there for cutting.. people say ya warm up when cutting.. bs.. -20f and colder keeps me inside.. I'll weld till my eyes bleed before you catch me outside.

The temperature won't stop me from spending the day outside doing whatever, including cutting firewood. I love being outside and you'll find me there at sun-up until sun-down most any day I'm not working, even when temperatures are well below zero (and a big part of my job is outside work). But wind is another story... I'd rather it be 15 below with sunshine and little wind, then 15 above with clouds and wind. I can stay perfectly comfortable in temperatures below zero if there's no wind... but a 20 MPH wind at 20 above will cut to the bone.

after theres good walking ice on the river it dont matter what the temps say or the wind mph!! theres fish under this here frozen waters of the north land!! wood comes first most of the year, but when its time to fish nothing else matters!! with one exception sales of fresh cut wood unsplit and delivered for a good price !! gotta full fill the ice fishing seasons money for gadgets and what nots some how... bring on the cold and forget the wind!!

The temperature won't stop me from spending the day outside doing whatever, including cutting firewood. I love being outside and you'll find me there at sun-up until sun-down most any day I'm not working, even when temperatures are well below zero (and a big part of my job is outside work). But wind is another story... I'd rather it be 15 below with sunshine and little wind, then 15 above with clouds and wind. I can stay perfectly comfortable in temperatures below zero if there's no wind... but a 20 MPH wind at 20 above will cut to the bone.

I hate wind too. I can always put more clothes on to keep warm but really hate to work when the wind cuts right through me. As long as it isn't snowing too hard I am in the woods every weekend cutting wood or repairing and upgrading my maple tubing.

Tell ya what. you come on up and visit.. Bring your saw.. Heck i'll supply one.. Just make sure your here between jan1st and march 1st.. its "nice" :dizzy: that time of year.. :msp_wink:

I usually put the saws on the shelve come the end of dec. start over in march.. To dang cold out there for cutting.. people say ya warm up when cutting.. bs.. -20f and colder keeps me inside.. I'll weld till my eyes bleed before you catch me outside.

I used to be a chairlift mechanic at Bristol Mountain Ski Resort. Spent many of those winters making snow as well. ;)

Bring on that cold, I'll cut in it all day long. I hate hot weather, I hate humidity. I whine like a little kid in the summertime - it's pathetic but it's true!

My saws get put away during June, July, & August. Hate them hot days more than anything....

I cut all winter. I don't care if it is -20. I burn the brush as I go so there is always a little fire to keep me warm. It is so dang peaceful in the woods in the winter time. Unless it is really blowing hard, I still go out. All I have to do is think about summertime cutting, the skeeters, bees, wasps, humuggity, 100 degrees, thorns, all the wonderful stuff and I am all ready for winter cutting!
Plus having a skid steer in the woods doesnt hurt either. Snow? what snow!

Ted

I'm with you guys. I stopped cutting several times in the summer because it's just too darn hot then. Burning brush and whatnot just was too much for me when I'm this far ahead on wood I just started asking myself why.

But when it's cold, I'll cut as long as the snow isn't too deep. Even then, I'll sometimes walk my way back and then cut and stack the wood there to sit until I can get my 4 wheeler there in the spring.

Never log in summer, never. Only that "white dirt" ( thank you Alberta ) if too high so that equipment can't get into the woodland stops winter logging.
Around here and north the ground is bony and wet; when it freezes it's easier to get around without getting stuck.
Cold? Wind ? Hey, when you're working the woods the body warms up quicker than........you can take things OFF.

Spring and summer bring the usual bugs, sweat dripping into your eyes, wet crotch, ticks, soggy feet. I never understand how you people south of the M-D Line or even in the warm temperate PNW can take the heat and humidity....and snakes. Give me cold, snow, hard ground.

The last time I HAD to cut in temps over 70 F ( blowdowns from a July gale ) the chaps were soaked. Had to cut nude....serious. No zipper to worry about. Liberating.

Latest posts

Back