Stihl 036 pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl310

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just looking for opinions on this saw. I have an opportunity to purchase one that is used but in excellent condition.

Thanks for any input.

YUP!!!!! great saw. Sold the first one I had and regretted it, have another one now and it will never go anywhere without me. Really good power, great torque and a blast to run. Easy to fix and parts are plentiful........if it's in good shape and priced right, buy it!

Why are you still here?

That's good to hear... Do you feel as though it would comfortably run a 24-25" bar? I don't usually have the need for the entire length, but occasionally I find myself needing that extra reach.

That's good to hear... Do you feel as though it would comfortably run a 24-25" bar? I don't usually have the need for the entire length, but occasionally I find myself needing that extra reach.

that's all i run, not because of big wood, because of the reach, much easier on my aching back..

It really is a GREAT model saw...based on my experience with mine..:msp_thumbup:

But it IS an older saw (not that old) so finding one in excellent shape is a BIG plus..!!

In excellent shape...value $325-$375...IMO
:cheers:
J2F

It's NOT gonna "comfortably" run a 24" bar...occasionally...but NOT all the time.

It's best suited for a 20" bar and can run that all day...every day..!!
:cheers:
J2F

Yeah I'm not looking to be using the 24" all day long... Just the occasional stump bases and larger pieces.

I have a 310 w a 20" bar right now and it's just a dog... Too much bar for that saw.

I bought an 036 pro this fall and haven't muffler modded it yet. I guess I got a deal as it runs and starts good and I got it from my Stihl dealer for $250.

They run very well 16-20" no problem. Open the muffler outlet to around 5/8" and retune and enjoy. If you get the saw, go over the fuel system-rubbber hoses, filters, carb. Also upgrade the clutch drum and bearing to the heavier ms360 set up. Stock thet run very well around 13,500 rpm, with above mm, 13,800-14,000 rpm hot-noload.

I got mine at a local pawn shop for $300.00. Very clean. Muffler mod that saw and retune.... like most have said here a 20" bar is very comfortable. Good luck!!!!:msp_thumbup:

If the $ is right get it. I have owned one since new and wish I had another one. I have used a 25" bar on it for years mainly for the reach. It will cut bar length but it requires a light touch and it is most happy with a 20" or less bar. Ron

not too long ago the small-dik big-bar crowd would be on here spewing how they all run 25" bars on their 50cc saws and "nothing under 30 inches for anything bigger" with the usual posturing and posing that all goes with it. lol maybe they've all wised-up ?

036, 044 and 066 all tough workhorse saws, can cope with all conditions and abuse, 036 is skinny and light with big bite for it's physical size, I've spent thousands of hours swinging on an 036 in the bush, 18" 3/8 is perfectly matched and perfectly balanced, very efficient. An extra 2 inches length with a 20" bar might not seem much different on paper but it does drag down the torque if you're burying the bar fully all the time, the extra torque of the 044 is extremely noticeable with the 20" setup side-by-side with a 20" 036. And the 20" 036 setup is clumsier and less agile and flick-able than the 18" setup which day in day out is heaps better all-round on the 60cc saw. As for two-foot bars, they're a mis-match plain and simple

I think they are one of the greatest mid size saws that Stihl has ever offered. Ive had a few. If the deal is right, grab it. They bring a PREMIUM on ebay.

Last edited:
My ported 036 will run a 25 inch bar no problem but the oiler has a hard time keeping up so I stick with a 18 and 20

check out the link in my signature

Back