Chainsaw storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XTROOPER

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have cut hot and heavy all year and have filled up my 18x26 carport/woodshed. I have cleaned up my chainsaws and replaced or sharpened all the chains. Now, should I continue to store the chainsaws in my unheated attached garage here in NE PA, or should I store them in the basement where my wood stove is located? Temps in the basement are in the 80s most of the winter. All saws have a healthy dose of Startron fuel treatment in them.

Thanks

XTROOPER

Thanks

sachsmo

I told my wife about your suggestion about putting up shelves and storage in the bedroom. Surprisingly, she is not at all turned on! (I did get a real chuckle out of it).

P.S. She really wasn't too excited when we bought the Husky 359, she thought the little green Poulan worked just fine.

XTROOPER

If you feel better putting them in your basement,then by all means.

Just dont put them directly on concrete, don't think fumes will be an issue, but keep that in mind since your stove is down there.

My saws sit out in the unheated shed. I do keep them off the concrete on shelves that came from my woods.

I mill my own, heres one of my milling set-ups with three fresh shelves ready to hang.

attachment.php

I completely fill the fuel and oil tanks, stabil in the fuel, and my small engines live in an unheated storage building until spring. Filling the tanks keeps the condensation from forming in them, no room. Has worked for me for years.

My 880 set's in the dinning room by the gas fire place. The 460 in the heated shop and the 192t in in the truck box. For me anything is better in a heated space.

My 880 set's in the dinning room by the gas fire place. The 460 in the heated shop and the 192t in in the truck box. For me anything is better in a heated space.

My wife grew tired of the orange and white conversation piece in our dining room and the dog chewed the handle off a starter rope one day. I don't have a problem with keeping my saw in the unheated storage building now.

Yes sir, 'specially ice fishin'!

Don't think cold bothers the saws as much as it does my old broken up bones.

Years ago my dad stored our saws a 70e and a homie 360 pro in a well house,the pump was below the floor. He was working out side 75' away when the pump kicked on, the little spark from the points set off the fumes. Dad said it damn near knocked him over it blew the door over the pine trees into the lake, one side 25' or so into the house the rest went up in flames. Needless to say (but I will)I won't store any thing with gas in it near fire or spark anymore.

What about in a storage building with an electric heater set on low? Any combustion concerns with this?

What about in a storage building with an electric heater set on low? Any combustion concerns with this?

That's not an open ignition source. Pilot light or other open flame could be dangerous. Try lighting a small amount of fuel with a cigarette ember, it won't light, it's not like the movies.

That's not an open ignition source. Pilot light or other open flame could be dangerous. Try lighting a small amount of fuel with a cigarette ember, it won't light, it's not like the movies.

Thanks, fire science isn't my strong suit. :smile2:

I told my wife about your suggestion about putting up shelves and storage in the bedroom. Surprisingly, she is not at all turned on!

Sorry to hear that, but not all women works the same way.

But OK then, how about sticking to the idea with keeping the saws on shelves in the bedroom anyway - and sending the wife to the basement? Also, if that's where your heater is located she will really appreciate getting to spend the night close to it, 'cause unlike the shelves-in-the-bedroom-thing no woman likes to be cold at night!

Last edited:
Gas fireplace???

Yep Yep.....There no fuel in it. If I had a pic it would clear up its not an issue. 2k saw is not in danger! :msp_thumbup:
Like other's the wife will not let it in the bedroom, so I drawed the line at dinning room. I think it looks Awesome!

Last edited:
Back