Local Sheriff Stopped By Today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyboy553

Oakaholic
Reaction score
He wanted to know if I had seen a pickup go by, pulling a trailer full of wood. I said that I had seen one go by pulling a snowmobile trailer with a 1500 pound axle and 4 ft sides on it, with a full cord of red oak firewood on it. He asked what color the truck was. Oh! Uhm, I didn't pay much attention to the truck. So, how can you be so specific about the kind of wood and how much it was if you cant even tell me what kind of truck was pulling it? He was a bit irritated with me I think.

I told him that part was easy:wood was stacked three rows wide, an 8 ft long trailer, sides made of 4ft pieces of plywood, makes it a full cord- of red oak. You saw all of that, even noticed what size axle on the trailer, but didnt notice the truck pulling it?? Nope, guess I didnt.

I mean, who wouldn't notice all that stuff about the firewood. The truck? Those are a dime a dozen.

He kinda snorted and got back in his squad, I went back to stacking my firewood.

Ted

Hey, you gave him all of the important information! What else matters?
:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

cop was probably going to give the guy a hard time about not having it covered or something, or he ran a light because he got brake fade!

The county hired a company to cut along the roads so there is a lot of logs and splits along the ditches right now. But!! The word is, the wood belongs to the landowner so you need their permission to take any wood along the roads. From flyboy to just past me is all sorts of trucks pulling out wood in the dark.

I can relate to Flyboy's answer. Who in their right mind would care what the truck looked like. Like everyone else, I'd want to see the wood.

1500 pound axle with a full cord of redoak(4000 pounds). Did you notice the air pressure in the trailer tires???

They cut that wood around here and leave in the drainage ditches, 99 percent of the land owners could careless about any wood until it causes a big flood in their yard, then maybe I can get paid to take it. Mostly hackberry, locust, and maple. Not bad firewood if it hasn't sat underwater.

1500 pound axle with a full cord of redoak(4000 pounds). Did you notice the air pressure in the trailer tires???

They cut that wood around here and leave in the drainage ditches, 99 percent of the land owners could careless about any wood until it causes a big flood in their yard, then maybe I can get paid to take it. Mostly hackberry, locust, and maple. Not bad firewood if it hasn't sat underwater.

i think we had a guy on here weigh 2 cords of green redoak on DOT scales and it came out to almost 6000lbs a cord.

In the past I would have been suspicious as well, not now

I retired in 2007 and to be honest with you, I would have been suspicious too. But, after cutting firewood for the last 4 years and going on this site daily, I now would TOTALLY understand your observations.

XTROOPER

you would have noticed the truck if it was stacked past the cab with wood!!! Thats what i like to see is a truck getting a workout!!

I love a site where guys routinely talk about looking at other guys wood....and aren't considered meat gazers.

lol good ? :laugh:

Yes, I was stacking red oak! And my truck was sitting there with a full load on it besides. Not to the top of the cab, but over a third cord was on it.

I didn't really see the humor in it until long after the sheriff left. The more I thought about the absurdity of the whole situation, the funnier it got, so I figured you guys might get a kick out of it too.

If the load of wood had been on the pickup, I would have noticed more details of the truck, but it wasn't, it was on the trailer.

Ted

Latest posts

Back