figuring number of drive links

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NuggyBuggy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought three loops of 114 dl x .063 x 3/8 ripping chain for use on my 36" stihl duromatic bar and 8t sprocket. this bar takes 114 or 104 DL of 3/8 or. 404 chain, respectively.

I decided I wanted to go to a sprocket nose bar. My stihl dealer ordered the 36" sprocket nose bar for the big mount Stihl and swapped out the sprocket with a 3/8 sprocket. one stihl tech said it should work with my chain, but another never got back to my dealer.

the bad news is that when it came , we saw that it took 108 DL of. 404 chain with a 7t sprocket. my chains will not even fit around the bar, let alone on the drive sprocket.

I am thinking about having my dealer take some links from one of my chains and adding them to the other two. Can I just divide 114/104 (the ratio of drive links for my hard nose bar) and then multiply this by 108 (.404 DL required for my new bar) to get the number of 3/8 DL needed for the new bar? do I need to account for the difference in sprocket sizes (new bar specifies 7t but I'm running 8t)?

thanks! terry

You need to account for the 8T sprocket, normally it is really close from 7T-8T. Some of mine fit and its tight for adjustments, meaning there is less room. I typically add 1 link when going from 7T - 8T bringing the adjustment more closer to the middle rather than really close to the rim/drum. Chain will stretch slightly so as long as there is some room and the bars not riding the rim you should be ok.

Break the chain and make them fit.

:popcorn::popcorn: I'll be watching this thread also. I had two new loops for a 16" bar w/56DL. Bought a MS 211 w/16" bar, and had to take out two DL's from the new chain, as that new saw requires 54DL per loop.

You can order links and tie-straps from Bailey's and do it yourself if you want. There are several good threads on here about making adding or removing links. You can use a fancy spinner/setter or just a small hand grinder and a punch. It's really easy and you can save yourself some bucks.

Ok , is the bar a Stihl bar ? A solid or sprocet tip bar ( Stihl ) have the same drive link count the only difference would arise with a 8 pin rim on the saw, this would be one extra DL.

Now if it is another make then things only get odd if like Cannon and Tsu use a cutting lenth measurement not like Stihl and Oregon for example use an overall measurement so my 36" TSU bar is 120 DL's and my Stihl and Oregon 36" are 114 DL's however there is also sometimes a difference between Stihl and Husky by one DL

Hope this helps ....!

You can order links and tie-straps from Bailey's and do it yourself if you want. There are several good threads on here about making adding or removing links. You can use a fancy spinner/setter or just a small hand grinder and a punch. It's really easy and you can save yourself some bucks.

Yep same here I use a dremel/grinder to break the chain and a ball peen hammer to rivet the chain back together. Just gotta make sure you don't peen it too much or the strap will bind.:msp_thumbup:

Last edited:
Howdy,
This is a handy reference that I grab all the time for calculation. Just go to the right column find the number of drive links in the pitch that's known, and convert it into feet. Then take the length in feet and go to the column of the pitch your changing to, and convert back to drive links.
Regards
Gregg

Thanks guys ! I just sent my wife with the loops to the local Husqvarna dealer... talked to the guy on the phone but when my wife showed up he said he couldn't do it because the Husky "joiners" (his term as relayed by my wife) were different size from the Stihl.... which doesn't make too much sense since the chain doesn't know it's on a Stihl or a Husky. Maybe he just meant Carlton vs Husky tie straps... but then why would he tell her to take it to a Stihl dealer....

Ok , is the bar a Stihl bar ? A solid or sprocet tip bar ( Stihl ) have the same drive link count the only difference would arise with a 8 pin rim on the saw, this would be one extra DL.

Now if it is another make then things only get odd if like Cannon and Tsu use a cutting lenth measurement not like Stihl and Oregon for example use an overall measurement so my 36" TSU bar is 120 DL's and my Stihl and Oregon 36" are 114 DL's however there is also sometimes a difference between Stihl and Husky by one DL

Hope this helps ....!

Dave, both bars are indeed Stihl 36" bars (Duromatic and Rollmatic (sp??)). But the boxes do specify different drive .404 drive link counts (104 vs 108). The dealer I bought the latter bar from thought they would be the same count, but he called Stihl to confirm and by the time I had to place the order, never heard back from their tech for confirmation so I just went ahead anyways. Unfortunately, this guy just got laid off, but did say if I ordered Carlton tie straps he could do it for me at home. He's a great guy but nearly 45 minutes away.

Sometimes being in Canada sucks because we can't get things as quick or as cheaply as our friends to the south do....I found a cheap spinner/breaker on Ebay but they want nearly as much just to ship to Canada.

Grande Dog, thanks for the link. I'll print it off. I did get the same count as computing the ratio and using that with the specified number of .404 DLs on my new bar box - 119 3/8 links, but that's a lot faster and "feels" somehow more authoritative..

Last edited:
Tie straps are different from stihl to oregon/carlton family. It migth be easier to use a grinder and hammer for you then to run around town and find someone to do it for you. Stuff like that got me to buy a breaker and spinner for myself.

Tie straps are different from stihl to oregon/carlton family. It migth be easier to use a grinder and hammer for you then to run around town and find someone to do it for you. Stuff like that got me to buy a breaker and spinner for myself.
Thanks. I am indeed willing to experiment... but if I grind off one of the tie-straps/rivets, I'll still need to find someone who stocks the Carlton tie-straps.

And if I can do it myself, why can't a dealer do it for me ? I'm willing to pay.

If I can find a place to buy a breaker and spinner for not too much, I'll do it. The problem is none of my local shops stock this kind of stuff and I was hoping to do some milling over the holiday season. If I order, I won't get it until we're back at work.

I got my set from madsens. Baileys sells one real similar also. For no more than you're wanting to do the granberg break and mend might work good. It's made on a set of vise grip pliers. The oregon ties straps or husky should work just fine. I noticed no difference in the rivet size itself when shortening a carlton chain the other day.

I got my set from madsens. Baileys sells one real similar also. For no more than you're wanting to do the granberg break and mend might work good. It's made on a set of vise grip pliers. The oregon ties straps or husky should work just fine. I noticed no difference in the rivet size itself when shortening a carlton chain the other day.
I was looking at the Granberg tool and did think it might be perfect for me. But I can't find anyone in Canada - let alone local retailers - who seem to stock it.

Sorry I thought you were refering to 3/8 only however 104 would be correct in 404 I don't know where the 108 comes from ?
The 108 is right on the bar packaging. My 36" Duromatic box says it takes 114 DL of 3/8 (or 104 DL @ .404) and that is right. The part # for my ES bar is 3002 000 9753 and it does say it is a 36" as well; the part # for my Duromatic is 3002 001 8052.

The chart here http://www.stihllibrary.com/pdfs/SawChainSelection.pdf shows the part # as well as the DL specifications for both bars.

Clearly, however, the two bars cannot be the same dimensions as a chain that fits over one as well as a drive sprocket does not even go around the bar on the other. Maybe the sprocket nose bar is taller ? I'd check in my shed but I'll have to shovel my way in.

I checked with my dealer and they want $129 Canadian plus their shipping in to order in a Granberg Break N Mend which costs $50 in the US online ??

Howdy,
Traditionally the Stihl (and other manufacturers) sprocketnose bars with the 14mm slot (3002 series) take more drive links per called length of the bar than the sprocket nose bars with the 12mm slot (3003 series).
Regards
Gregg

Howdy,
Traditionally the Stihl (and other manufacturers) sprocketnose bars with the 14mm slot (3002 series) take more drive links per called length of the bar than the sprocket nose bars with the 12mm slot (3003 series).
Regards
Gregg
Thanks Gregg, that's useful to know. However, both my bars are the same mount pattern so I don't think that explains the discrepancy here ?

I checked with my dealer and they want $129 Canadian plus their shipping in to order in a Granberg Break N Mend which costs $50 in the US online ??

Its a no brainer, order it from the US, just make sure they do not ship via the brown death wagon....ups or it will cost ya $300 after there cut.

Its a no brainer, order it from the US, just make sure they do not ship via the brown death wagon....ups or it will cost ya $300 after there cut.

You're right. done deal.

I found a place in Canada that does stock the Carlton side straps and presets. But all the other stuff I wanted to order (break n Mend, stump vise, etc. etc ) was way more expensive than Baileys. for a little more than they were asking for one loop of Carlton chain filed for ripping, I could buy a 25' reel of Woodland Pro ripping chain. The Break N Mend was cheaper than at my dealer, but still more than $30 more than Baileys and I could order a bunch of stuff from Baileys for just about $30.

So I ordered what I need to lengthen my Carlton loops from Canada, will try to make do with grinder and ball peen hammer until my larger order comes in from Baileys.

Latest posts

Back