441 vs.460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
opinions vary ! but personally id be going old school and getting the 460 if i had to choose any.

the 441 has the same oiler as the 460 and can be modified to oil as much as you want to, for very cheap, so that is a none issue with regards to the 36" bar.

Samm-

Can you elaborate how to modify the oiler for more output?

I think Sam is talking about changing a standard 441 oiler with the wrap model high out put oiler,but then you could modd the oiler control piston by machining it i suppose.

Yes, there is a relatively easy modification that can be performed to the Stihl oilers to get them to really oil a bunch. I personally have nevered needed to do this to a factory, high output oiler, but if one was to desire more oil for a 36" bar, the option is there for more oil.

Do a search for the thread on how to do it to the oiler. I think there are pictures as well, as instructions.

Sam

Have you tried the muffler (modified) from the M-tronic on the carb equipped MS441?

No that stock 441 i sold to a mate a long time ago and he brings it back for a tune and sort out every know and then,what i dont like about it is the soft AV and is does not have that aggressive attitude of the MTronic.

066/660 tested ,proven, rock solid performance out of the box .. the sixty six is and always will be Stihl's best pro saw

We also have to remember a stock out of the box 660 US model is way down on performance compared to the Ozzy model and fetchers,roller chain catcher,dual port muff,high out put oiler and i think even the carb jetting is not the same.
So when ya see these US model 660s on fleebay over here all is not what it seems.
The pics on fleebay never show the muff but,the US model has a yellow sticker ubove the fuel cap,a green sticker on the rear or the chain brake handle,no roller chain catcher.

That may be my fault. The guy (Adam) wanted either a 441M or a 460. IMO, I advised to get a 460 and have her ported. thats all. Sorry to get this off track if i did,
To be fair- I didn't say stock or modified. My thought on this are regardless of the saw chosen- stock for now, modded down the road :) The only plans I have out of the gate are possibly hd oiler, muffler, double dogs and a few bars.

I have to agree with Slamm here. Most cutting I do is done with a 50cc and 70cc class saws. The 066 only comes out for stumping or the really big stuff. The 70cc saws are higher revving, lighter, and easier to handle.

You from the franklin that is south of dayton? I have traveled down that way a time or two. I go to Honda training in Troy. Actually scheduled to be there at the end of feb. again for a week.

Btw- What the hell does CAD mean? Been seeing it alot.

Last edited:
We also have to remember a stock out of the box 660 US model is way down on performance compared to the Ozzy model and fetchers,roller chain catcher,dual port muff,high out put oiler and i think even the carb jetting is not the same.
So when ya see these US model 660s on fleebay over here all is not what it seems.
The pics on fleebay never show the muff but,the US model has a yellow sticker ubove the fuel cap,a green sticker on the rear or the chain brake handle,no roller chain catcher.
that's only normal mate ,we have the best of everything down under :msp_thumbup: but its not only Fleabay that's getting flooding with US EPA models over here ,there's a few Aussie buyers getting stiffed by oz dealers importing stock from the US to save a buck

Yes, there is a relatively easy modification that can be performed to the Stihl oilers to get them to really oil a bunch. I personally have nevered needed to do this to a factory, high output oiler, but if one was to desire more oil for a 36" bar, the option is there for more oil.

Do a search for the thread on how to do it to the oiler. I think there are pictures as well, as instructions.

Sam

Do you know by chance if after doing this you will suck the oil tank dry before you run out of gas?

Latest posts

Back