lost my firewood partner this morning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cedarman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My FIL just passed a couple hours ago after a 6 month battle with cancer. I really dont know how Im going to get wood without him. He taught me everything I know about burning wood and the whole process in general.

Whats so upsetting to me is it was just a year ago he was worrying the devil out of me to go cutting wood in this big section of hardwoods my buddy owns. "when we gonna go" "I'll be glad when deer seasons over, so we can get some damn wood"... now hes gone.

He was my "tree dropper" never was scared of felling those big 30" redoaks as I was. He'd drop'm. I'd buck'm up.

I dont know how or when or if I'll be in the woods this yr. dam dam dam.

sorry for the rant.

Rest in peace big George. We will always love you and miss you down here. and dont worry well be seeing you again someday.

Ross

Sorry for your loss. When you feel upto it use that knowledge he gave you and go cut some wood.

Sorry for you loss......and I know exactly how you feel. On December 21st my best friend died from cancer. I have known him for 30 years and we used to spend a lot of time together under the bottom of our cars. After I got married we spent less time together - but remained good friends. Now that he is gone I think about how much more time we should have spent together, and I will miss him.

It is fine to miss friends when they are gone.......but don't beat yourself up over things you should have done. They were good friends and we will always remember them fondly.........and now it is time to make new friends.

Be glad for the time and fun you had together.

You never know what will come over the horizon tomorrow.

Take what he taught you, keep learning, and look for someone else to pass that knowledge on to - and when you do, remember where you learned it and the good times you had doing it. We don't live forever, what matters is who we touch along the way.

The grief you feel will subside. Sadness and loss will visit from time to time but will be manageable. If you like cutting wood have faith that you'll get back to it though it will be different. Every now and then you'll probably hear him giving advice or mentioning something you should remember and in the end that voice is a blessing. Live each day knowing the friendship you had and the loss you feel now. In the balance you'll find ways to help people around you and remember your friend at the same time.

He is watching and wondering when you will get out and use the things he taught you. Every time you fall a tree you will think of him.

The grief you feel will subside. Sadness and loss will visit from time to time but will be manageable. If you like cutting wood have faith that you'll get back to it though it will be different. Every now and then you'll probably hear him giving advice or mentioning something you should remember and in the end that voice is a blessing. Live each day knowing the friendship you had and the loss you feel now. In the balance you'll find ways to help people around you and remember your friend at the same time.

Very well said...
RIP!!!!

Take what he taught you, keep learning, and look for someone else to pass that knowledge on to - and when you do, remember where you learned it and the good times you had doing it. We don't live forever, what matters is who we touch along the way.

+1

Keep the saw in the wood, standing or laying. Keep Big George in your head. Pass along what you learn.

He is watching and wondering when you will get out and use the things he taught you. Every time you fall a tree you will think of him.

--what he ^ said.

Hang in there man, and later on, cut wood. Learn, be careful, be productive, and enjoy your time here.

My condolences to you and your family for your loss... now he probably is felling trees somewhere else...pass on the knowledge and wisdom to someone that is going to be fortunate to be taught what you had been given....

My deepest condolences. As soon as you are up to it, get back out there and do some cutting. You know that's what your mentor would want. Best part is, he'll be there with you.

Back