Does your wood stove create household dust? how much?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennish

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My stove is EPA certified, but I don't know the brand. I got it at Ace. Anyway, it seems to create excessive dust( need to dust twice as much as summer). I burn mostly fir. I use ceiling fans to move the air/heat. Does your stove make dust? How much?

Last edited:
Well not really sure if its the stove itself making the dust but more the air movement from the stove. Even if you dont have a blower your still moving air by way of convection. Plus not filtering the air in anyway doesnt help. To answer your question is I do have more dust in the house when im burning.

dust from where I drop ash when I'm cleaning it.
dust from where I drop wood next to it.
dust from where I bang wood going into it.
dust from where I carry wood across the front room.

and yeah, I sweep it up (and around), and the convection and blower spread it around etc, so yeah, there's "more" dust in the house, but does the wood stove "cause" it?

Dust

I agree with the previous poster, odles of it, all over, can't keep up with it, but the price of heat is right, so we'll put up with it!
XTROOPER:msp_rolleyes:

Get the same thing, one thing i do when i remove my ashes is to hold the shop vac just a bit above the bucket. Any dust that comes up with the dumping of the ashes is just sucked up. Yes I do make sure its cool in the shop vac before leaving it alone. But that just combats the dust a bit, but its plenty messy. I work full time in a rock quarry so dust is a daily thing i bring home. Just have to deal with it.

Trbo

Well.... I used to have loads of dust (ash) everywhere. When we switched to a newer stove with a removable ash pan, my dust problem went waaaaay down. Do get lots of bark crud, etc. on my hearth pad..... so I vacuum it a couple times a day sometimes. Price ya pay.

Well.... I used to have loads of dust (ash) everywhere. When we switched to a newer stove with a removable ash pan, my dust problem went waaaaay down. Do get lots of bark crud, etc. on my hearth pad..... so I vacuum it a couple times a day sometimes. Price ya pay.

Same here - dust not an issue with ash drawer underneath.

I have 3 dogs, 2 kids and a wood stove. that combination makes for alot of dust. You can dust everything and within a few hours the stands in the front room will have a film on them. drives the wife nuts, (not a far drive though).

Of course. I keep a metal dustpan and a brush by each stove, but some ash dust is unavoidable. We try to be as neat as possible and clean it as we can, but it goes with the territory.

Yes, and tons of it.

The dust in here easily tripples once we start burning.

A good air filter helps immensely. Look for one with a permanent filter and put it in the room with the stove.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Or across the lawn ! Where do they find their drivers, anyway??? And don't even get me started on the UPS drivers ! :msp_ohmy:

I agree, but a normal winter would yield 2' of snow plus drifting. NOT THAT I'M COMPAINING. That keeps them on the gravel for the most part.

Or across the lawn ! Where do they find their drivers, anyway??? And don't even get me started on the UPS drivers ! :msp_ohmy:

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that has the problem of keeping the gas trucks out of my lawn. Last time the gas man came he decided to leave 2 ruts from the duals 9 inches deep by 15 feet long in my side yard.:mad2::mad2: Lazy fkr. No probs with UPS or fedx yet, they back in from the road.

Lots of stove ash/dust tends to irritate my sinus and Mrs. xtm, so I'm slow and careful when I shovel out the stove to keep it manageable. Also, when I'm shoveling cold stove ash, I usually set up the shop-vac hose near the opening while I'm shoveling - to deal with the escaping dust.

Latest posts

Back